Does anyone of you know ...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:38:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Does anyone of you know ...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does anyone of you know ...  (Read 3361 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2014, 02:32:48 PM »

how to remove a bat from a room ?

Because I wanted to brush my teeth a few minutes ago and somehow a bat was flying around in the baathroom.

I always keep the window open so that the shower dries up quickly and the bat must gave come in at some point.

Its a very stubborn bat and I can't catch it and it wont fly out of the window.

Advice anyone ?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 02:37:35 PM »

An air horn?

Probably inhumane.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 02:40:56 PM »

Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 02:46:52 PM »

Run in, turn the tap on and leave. Eventually, the room will fill with water entirely. This kills the bat.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 03:27:11 PM »

I will never understand Europeans' aversion to window screens.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 03:33:29 PM »

What the bat's doing--intruding on private property--is probably even more inhumane. Lack of respect for private property is yet another reason why I've consistently taken the humans-only stance on U.S. citizenship.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 03:42:00 PM »

Because I wanted to brush my teeth a few minutes ago and somehow a bat was flying around in the baathroom.

I always keep the window open so that the shower dries up quickly and the bat must gave come in at some point.

Advice anyone ?
these are a few good general guidelines in terms of handling the bat while its there:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/bats/tips/bat_in_house_humane_removal.html

i would very much not recommend trying to drive it out with noise. some steps to keep this from happening again:

* tin foil or mylar outside. this gives a distraction

* mothballs to deter them. or something slightly acidic, like lemon.

* you might also want to install a small bat-house in a sunlit area. this will give them a place to roost in and leave you alone (plus insect eating bats are good pest control, assuming they don't get caught in your house).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 04:03:18 PM »

rofl

thank you for the laugh, old friend.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 04:40:17 PM »

Should we be concerned that it's been 3 hours with no word back from our dear friend?
retromike22
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 04:41:34 PM »

I will never understand Europeans' aversion to window screens.

I thought it's because when Europeans sing, birds and woodland critters come through the window to help clean up the house?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 07:06:01 PM »

Advice anyone ?

When my neighbor had a bat locked in her bathroom, she sent the house cat in after it. It worked, but the vet bill for rabies shots was pretty expensive.

The correct answer in the U.S. is to call animal control, FWIW. Because of rabies.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 07:23:53 PM »

Ok, it's almost 6 hours now and I'm starting to worry.  He's not THAT far from Transylvania.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 07:27:37 PM »

You're asking an American forum, so the correct solution is to shoot it.  A simple shotgun would be preferable, but a semiautomatic will do.  Just keep shooting until you hit it.  You can even open your eyes if you're feeling particularly brave.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 08:17:35 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fff6T4WK6Q
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 08:23:36 PM »

We're having ants right now.  I don't know how it started.  First there were a few marching in a column across the dining room floor in the evening.  We swabbed the floor, cleaned everything, and thought that they'd leave, but we kept seeing them.  Then we sprayed vinegar, because I generally don't like killing animals.  I'm not a Buddhist or Hindu or anything like that, but I don't like killing animals.  It worked for a while, but it got to be too much trouble.  I became desensitized, finally, and I started wasting everyone I saw, but it's futile.  It's like any other country besides China going to war with China.  I'd kill fifty every night, but the next morning there were fifty more, every morning.  Finally, we got serious.  We bought some 40 Mule Team borax and mixed it with honey and put it in a bowl.  Now we have about a thousand dead ants in the little honeybowl every morning.  Maybe in about ten years we'll have killed them all.

I guess with a bat I'd be reluctant to kill it too.  I'd probably go out to the garage and get the butterfly net and close myself in the bathroom and try to catch it.  If that didn't work I'd take a big towel or a blanket and try.  If it flew at me I might pussy out and run away.  I might do that several times, but I'd keep trying.  If that failed repeatedly, eventually I'd probably get serious.  I think at some point I'd get pissed off enough to get my raqcuetball racquet out and start aiming to kill.  I'd probably wear big gloves and a big jacket and a football helmet, even if it's warm, just to protect myself. 

Good luck.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 12:59:47 AM »

Should we be concerned that it's been 3 hours with no word back from our dear friend?

Don't worry, the bat has not killed me.

Anyway: After I posted this yesterday, I kept the window open, turned out the light and closed the bathroom door so that the bat can fly out. After 15 minutes I looked in again and the bat seemed to have gone because I didn't spot it anymore.

Today, when I got back in the bat was still there and sleeping on one of my curtains.

I decided to put on some thicker working gloves, took it and put it out in the open. The bat seemed to be a bit perplexed because it wouldn't fly away (maybe it was still half asleep) and tried to bite and hiss like a cat. I decided to put it on a tree outside the house.

Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 01:56:00 AM »

Anyway: After I posted this yesterday, I kept the window open, turned out the light and closed the bathroom door so that the bat can fly out. After 15 minutes I looked in again and the bat seemed to have gone because I didn't spot it anymore.

Today, when I got back in the bat was still there and sleeping on one of my curtains.

I decided to put on some thicker working gloves, took it and put it out in the open. The bat seemed to be a bit perplexed because it wouldn't fly away (maybe it was still half asleep) and tried to bite and hiss like a cat. I decided to put it on a tree outside the house.

Please tell me you are not being serious. That's terrifying.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 02:00:27 AM »

Please tell me you are not being serious. That's terrifying.

What's so terrifying about it ?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 02:01:08 AM »

Have you eaten garlic since this happened?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 02:33:41 AM »

Is this how you released Dave Leip back into the wild, after his stay in your basement?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 07:38:21 AM »

Um.... jokes aside, you should probably see a doctor. That isn't normal bat behavior.

Don't worry, I won't get rabies. I had gloves on when I put it out.

Wink
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2014, 09:39:59 AM »

this guy had a bigger and creepier problem.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »

But not as creepy as this guy.

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2014, 04:28:23 PM »

So it wasn't a cute bat, like this feller?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies