DNC response to Rand Paul's op-ed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:39:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  DNC response to Rand Paul's op-ed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: DNC response to Rand Paul's op-ed  (Read 2813 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2014, 02:33:21 PM »
« edited: August 28, 2014, 02:38:52 PM by boshembechle »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://factivists.democrats.org/dnc-response-to-rand-pauls-troubling-wsj-op-ed/

This might piss some leftists off.

If you take out all the references to Rand Paul, it's absolutely impossible to not mistake this for what the Neo-cons said during the Bush years.

Cobbler
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 03:11:58 PM »

Not surprising. The Democrats have been adopting Bush policies over the entire Obama administration, why not adopt the tactics?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 03:14:02 PM »

Not surprising. The Democrats have been adopting Bush policies over the entire Obama administration, why not adopt the tactics?
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 04:23:36 PM »

Again, it is neither liberal nor conservative, right wing nor left wing to be an interventionist or isolationist.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 04:29:32 PM »

Wow. I agree with the DNC.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 04:30:08 PM »

American progressives/liberals have never supported isolationism. I don't know why anyone would be surprised by this response to Rand Paul's insane foreign policy views.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 04:37:17 PM »

Rand Paul is not an isolationist.
whanztastic
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 05:46:11 PM »

American progressives/liberals have never supported isolationism. I don't know why anyone would be surprised by this response to Rand Paul's insane foreign policy views.

Because of Iraq? IDK either.

He just talks like one and said should end all foreign aid.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 05:56:23 PM »

Robert La Follette and William Borah were not progressives?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 06:44:35 PM »

no he doesn't lmao
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 07:01:59 PM »

Not everyone fits every generalization.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 07:17:58 PM »

whanztastic
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 07:40:52 PM »

no he doesn't lmao

Great argument.
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 07:42:16 PM »

SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 09:02:11 PM »

Not everyone fits every generalization.

That "generalization" crosses the line into "fabrication" when such individuals are amongthe most prominent leaders of the movement for a substantial period of time.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 04:26:36 PM »

If you take out all the references to Rand Paul, it's absolutely impossible to not mistake this for what the Neo-cons said during the Bush years.

Disgusting, although not as awful as the Democrats who opposed the Iraq War, but will suddenly discover their inner neo-con if Hillary is nominated.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 05:02:43 PM »

Disgusting, although not as awful as the Democrats who opposed the Iraq War, but will suddenly discover their inner neo-con if Hillary is nominated.

Biden, Reid, Harkin, Kerry, Edwards, Dorgan, Cantwell, and Kohl all voted for the Iraq War Resolution. Are they all neocons as well? It's not as though Hillary is the only one (either in terms of politicians or regular citizens) who flip flopped on this issue, as it used to have overwhelming support.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 05:31:39 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2014, 05:50:48 PM by The Roose is Loose »

Biden, Reid, Harkin, Kerry, Edwards, Dorgan, Cantwell, and Kohl all voted for the Iraq War Resolution. Are they all neocons as well? It's not as though Hillary is the only one (either in terms of politicians or regular citizens) who flip flopped on this issue, as it used to have overwhelming support.

She's not a neo-con just because she supported the Iraq War (and still refuses to acknowledge it was a mistake).  I'm talking about her entire foreign policy record.  Also, I'm not sure that John Edwards is someone who want to be comparing Hillary to when you defend her Tongue  As for the Senators you mentioned, obviously most of them aren't (although Biden is definitely a liberal interventionist which has some significant overlap with neo-conservatism).  However, Lieberman, Schumer, Feinstein, and Bayh arguably are to varying degrees (especially the first two) and they also voted for the Iraq War.  Additionally, many of the Democrats who supported it were conservaDems like Landrieu, Breaux, Nelson (NE), Miller, Lincoln, Carper, etc.  I can't imagine why you left them out.  Surely you weren't cherry-picking names Roll Eyes
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 05:39:05 PM »

She's not a neo-con just because she supported the Iraq War (and still refuses to acknowledge it was a mistake).  I'm talking about her entire foreign policy record.  Also, I'm not sure that John Edwards is someone who want to be comparing Hillary to when you defend her Tongue

Well, I mostly included him just because many people who endlessly criticize Hillary for the Iraq War vote were Edwards supporters in 2008.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 05:51:35 PM »

She's not a neo-con just because she supported the Iraq War (and still refuses to acknowledge it was a mistake).  I'm talking about her entire foreign policy record.  Also, I'm not sure that John Edwards is someone who want to be comparing Hillary to when you defend her Tongue

Well, I mostly included him just because many people who endlessly criticize Hillary for the Iraq War vote were Edwards supporters in 2008.

I'm pretty sure most of them were Obama supporters, actually Tongue
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 07:05:40 PM »

The great difference: President Obama reacts cautiously to real dangers to America -- like ISIS. Dubya reacted rashly to fabricated dangers to America.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2014, 07:09:48 PM »

While I am not entirely in line with what the DNC is saying here, it needs to be understood that there are different philosophies on the left for foreign policy, and one can remain consistent in opposing Bush's militarism while also thinking Rand Paul's approach is wrong.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 08:10:25 PM »

While I am not entirely in line with what the DNC is saying here, it needs to be understood that there are different philosophies on the left for foreign policy, and one can remain consistent in opposing Bush's militarism while also thinking Rand Paul's approach is wrong.

I don't think anyone's debating that. It's the rhetoric they use, it's the exact same rhetoric as the Bush people used to smear the Democrats.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2014, 11:24:44 PM »

Wow, the DNC really sucks at trolling.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 11:50:20 PM »

She's not a neo-con just because she supported the Iraq War (and still refuses to acknowledge it was a mistake).  I'm talking about her entire foreign policy record.  Also, I'm not sure that John Edwards is someone who want to be comparing Hillary to when you defend her Tongue  As for the Senators you mentioned, obviously most of them aren't (although Biden is definitely a liberal interventionist which has some significant overlap with neo-conservatism).  However, Lieberman, Schumer, Feinstein, and Bayh arguably are to varying degrees (especially the first two) and they also voted for the Iraq War.  Additionally, many of the Democrats who supported it were conservaDems like Landrieu, Breaux, Nelson (NE), Miller, Lincoln, Carper, etc.  I can't imagine why you left them out.  Surely you weren't cherry-picking names Roll Eyes

That is incorrect.  In her book Clinton says:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/hillary-clinton-iraq-war-vote-wrong-article-1.1819012

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies