DNC response to Rand Paul's op-ed (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:22:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  DNC response to Rand Paul's op-ed (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DNC response to Rand Paul's op-ed  (Read 2849 times)
GOON
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 7.17

« on: September 06, 2014, 07:01:24 PM »
« edited: September 06, 2014, 07:07:00 PM by GOON »

Some people really need to learn the difference between isolationism and non-interventionsm.  They're absolutely not the same thing.  Rand Paul is the latter, and is even in favor of air-strikes on ISIS with Congressional approval.  I'm p. sure that's not isolationist rhetoric, but don't let partisan talking-points get in the way of that.

Plus, there is nothing wrong with "blaming America" if it deserves blame.  The United States and George W. Bush created the vacuum of power in Iraq that ISIS is now taking advantage of by overthrowing Saddam, and Obama didn't help matters by arming them in Syria.  Had Obama gone through with his desire to directly intervene in Syria, Assad more than likely would have been overthrown by now, and ISIS would have seized power in Syria.  Even if the United States had gotten involved earlier--as Hillary Clinton misguidedly suggested we should have-- a "moderate" government MIGHT have formed in Post-Assad Syria, but ISIS still would have attempted to overthrow that government, much like they're attempting to do in Iraq right now.

For what it's worth, Syria reached out to the United States in 2010 and essentially asked us to help them take out groups like ISIS.  Obama rejected this, since he was hell-bent on removing Assad--a man who would never pose a threat to the United States--from power.  Had the United States taken Syria up on their offer, ISIS probably wouldn't even exist in their present-form, if at all.  (Wikileaks posted this about a month (or so) ago.  I'd link it, but I cannot do that until I reach twenty posts).

That's what Rand Paul was getting at in his op-ed.  Rand Paul isn't "blaming America" just because it's an easy target.  Paul is "blaming America" by pointing out that the misguided foreign policies of the previous regimes have led to and created this situation, dating back to 2003.  There is really no hope for the United States if one is so blinded by patriotism that reality is dubbed "A foreign policy of blaming America first."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies