Your current governor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:07:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Your current governor
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Your current governor  (Read 6012 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2014, 04:03:33 PM »

Well, I'm just curious. What has your governor done during his term? How would you rate his job??? Do you plan to vote for him/her for the next election?
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 04:15:40 PM »

I don't think Governor McAuliffe has done a good job at all. I'm not impressed what I view as his excessive use of executive orders, and I disagree with his push for Medicaid expansion. Right now, I'd give him a letter grade of a "D-." Fortunately, since governors cannot run for re-election in Virginia, I won't have to worry about him being on the ballot that year; if he were on the ballot, I'd probably vote for the Republican, though that depends on the identity of the party's nominee.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 04:40:31 PM »

Nothing. He is the worst one in the country.

Corbett get's a F.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 04:49:49 PM »

Linc-Dawg

Passed marriage equality FINALLY.

Tried to govern like a liberal, but my state hates liberals so he's been crucified for that.

Passed pension reform with the rest of the DINOs in this state robbing pensions from retired workers and added years to people who were very close to retiring. This has caused problems for me as I went to school to be a teacher and have been stuck on the sub route since teachers who would have retired have been holding out.

Has caused the right-wing noise machine of talk radio to turn everything he does into some sort of controversy.

Has been anti-charter school which was a very pleasant surprise. I expected someone like Chafee to be all over that.

Attempted to cut the deficit through modest tax hikes but this was shut down.

Passed voter ID with the DINOs who control my state.

I voted for him in 2010 since he was the best choice.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 05:04:18 PM »

Gov. Chris Christie (R). He's cut taxes, due to the Democratic-controlled legislature, and some property taxes have gone down, it's been going up lately. The jobs situation is so-so. He's in the national spotlight as a tough, no-nonsense governor; also the George Washington Bridge scandal which he is accused of closing due to political retribution, and he may run for president in 2016, I don't know if he would win.
backtored
Vatican City State

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 05:06:17 PM »

I'll let November do the talking.  Wink
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 05:25:06 PM »

Quinn is definately is a lame duck until he hopes to win with Vallas in 2014, and keep building on school funding, and raise the min wage. Gradually, passing time and handing over full responsibility to Vallas and Cullerton.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 05:49:03 PM »

My governor is Jerry Brown (D-CA).

He's done very well fiscally, governing as a moderate and turning a deficit of tens of billions into a surplus, done by convincing voters to pass Prop 30, which raised sales tax temporarily and raised taxes on the rich (>$250,000).

He's stance on recreational marijuana has been disappointing (even though he can probably roll a joint with one hand).

His prison reform he talks up a lot, and although it did help, it wasn't as transformative as he brags.

He signs laws that I agree with that the Democratic supermajority passes (ie. minimum wage, gun control, etc).

I'd give him a B, and he definitely deserves to be reelected in my opinion.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 06:20:06 PM »

Whats he done? Hmm...flipped back on his anti-abortion pledge, given Art Pope the reigns of state government, left more experienced teachers out to pasture, had numerous gaffes and has largely abdicated to the radical legislature.

'All this stuff from a 'moderate' self-proclaimed "Eisenhower Republican."

I'm looking forward to Governor Roy Cooper in 2017 Smiley
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 06:26:24 PM »

For what's (technically) my home state's governor, I'd give Hassan an A-. I disagree with her on weed, but that's just one issue. With the rest, she's been spot-on. She hasn't had many great accomplishments of her own yet - most of her popularity comes from continuing the progress that Lynch made.

But my current governor, right now, as is?

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 07:10:41 PM »

Inslee is very "meh." Hasn't gotten anything done, has let the pseudo-GOP Senate walk all over him on transportation (our state's most pressing conundrum), all steak and no sizzle with his green jobs chatter, was extorted out of billions of taxpayer dollars by Boeing, and is pretty much just Governor as a legacy piece after a long career in the House. Doesn't seem to be in tune with a lot of local issues, though he handled the Oso mudslide and wildfires this year admirably.

I voted for McKenna in '12, though Inslee will assuredly get my vote if some C-lister like Mike Baumgardner runs against him (as is likely) in 2016.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 08:23:24 PM »

Run for president, failed, and commenced starting another run for president.

Rick Perry gets a big fat F.
International Brotherhood of Bernard
interstate73

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »

For what's (technically) my home state's governor, I'd give Hassan an A-. I disagree with her on weed, but that's just one issue. With the rest, she's been spot-on. She hasn't had many great accomplishments of her own yet - most of her popularity comes from continuing the progress that Lynch made.

But my current governor, right now, as is?

Who's your current governor?
International Brotherhood of Bernard
interstate73

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 08:32:42 PM »

Chris Christie. Politically hasn't been that bad, handled Sandy well, has stopped the rise of property taxes (but by significantly hurting our teachers, unfortunately). But his attitude and the way he carries himself (shouting at people at townhalls, on the boardwalk, and generally playing into the typical NJ stereotypes) makes me want to vomit, not to mention Bridgegate and all his other corrupt shenanigans. C-
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 08:33:26 PM »

Scott Walker gets a B from me. Slow job growth (which has to do with more of the Midwest economy than anything Walker has specifically done) brings him down. He's working on tax reform and has made the budget deficit into a surplus. Not to mention his positions on school vouchers and right-to-work help. I would vote for him in 2014 if I could, would most likely vote for him in 2018 (if he wins re-election and if he decides to run again, WI has no term limits for Governor). And if he were to run for president, and win the R nomination, I would possibly back him, depending on the kind of campaign he runs. He would be my #2 in the R primary behind Paul, but at this point I don't think its likely he runs for president.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 08:49:43 PM »

Gov. Chris Christie (R). He's cut taxes, due to the Democratic-controlled legislature, and some property taxes have gone down, it's been going up lately. The jobs situation is so-so. He's in the national spotlight as a tough, no-nonsense governor; also the George Washington Bridge scandal which he is accused of closing due to political retribution, and he may run for president in 2016, I don't know if he would win.
The same here for me. What would you rate Chris Christie's tenure so far?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 08:50:15 PM »

My governor is a corrupt right-winger. I'm voting against him in the primary and the general election.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 08:51:40 PM »

My governor is a corrupt right-winger. I'm voting against him in the primary and the general election.

Will you write in Teachout in the General, assuming she doesn't win?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 09:52:24 PM »

There  are definitely issues I disagree with Brown on (come on, tax the oil companies). But you can't argue against the fact that he's a pretty competent governor.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 10:30:08 PM »

Rick Scott, definitely one of the top five worst Governors in this country.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 02:04:42 AM »

Will you write in Teachout in the General, assuming she doesn't win?

No, probably Howie Hawkins, the green party guy. Or do something dramatic like writing in "Mario Cuomo."
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2014, 07:58:02 AM »

Rick Snyder, R-Michigan. He has done some good (Medicaid expansion) and avoided scandals. Otherwise he has well served out-of-state plutocrats. He has imposed 'emergency managers' who in theory can decide that a public beach can be given away to developers who can replace a beach with 'luxury condominiums' because the property taxes and sales taxes from upscale dwellers will justify the give-away.  (If a local government were doing so to line the pockets of political hacks, then I would be similarly offended!) He promised to not impose right-to-work laws but signed off on them.

He's the sort of politician who does what ALEC wants -- turning a state into another Oklahoma, a state in which plutocrats find it easy to extract wealth without sharing much income. If you are in Michigan and would really rather be in Oklahoma then I suggest that you find your way to I-35 in Kansas or I-44 in Missouri and find your bliss.  Otherwise -- vote out the GOP. 
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 10:35:48 AM »
« Edited: August 29, 2014, 10:44:15 AM by Clarko95 »

Mike Pence (R - Indiana)

What a joke of a Governor. He rode Daniels' popularity to get elected, and then wastes time forcing a gay marriage ban through the legislature earlier this year instead of dealing with the still-weak economy, infrastructure, and education system.

He also stripped the Superintendent of Education Glenda Ritz (D) of her power (after voters turned out Tony Bennett for being a crooked shill for the GOP agenda of destroying public schools with charter schools, and now he's doing it in Florida) last year by creating a new agency to oversee public education, and stacked it with friends who will continue to drive our schools into the ground by lowering standards and fixing them to make their beloved charter schools look better. He also is giving them 6 figure salaries, which is far more than Superintendent Ritz makes. He crusades against Common Core while not coming up with anything to replace the existing pathetic educational standards just to stick it to Obama and set himself up for 2016, instead of reinstating the good standards we had before.

He has accomplished absolutely nothing of importance that is good. Ab.so.lute.ly.noth.ing. He's done an enormous amount of traveling to speak to conservative groups about how he's turning Indiana into a Teabagger paradise, and is pretty much using the Governor's office as a springboard to the 2016 primaries so he can claim "executive experience". He's done more campaigning than actual Governing. He claims credit for the state's falling unemployment rate (5.9% last month), but like the rest of the country it's just people dropping out of the workforce.

Pence is an authoritarian neocon, who would combine the worst traits of GW Bush and the TEA Party, and he's using Indiana as his experimentation lab to show the US how horrible the future  is going to be if he elect more of his kind.

[/rant of the day]
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2014, 10:47:47 AM »

Mike Pence (R - Indiana)

What a joke of a Governor. He rode Daniels' popularity to get elected, and then wastes time forcing a gay marriage ban through the legislature earlier this year instead of dealing with the still-weak economy, infrastructure, and education system.

He also stripped the Superintendent of Education Glenda Ritz (D) of her power (after voters turned out Tony Bennett for being a crooked shill for the GOP agenda of destroying public schools with charter schools, and now he's doing it in Florida) last year by creating a new agency to oversee public education, and stacked it with friends who will continue to drive our schools into the ground by lowering standards and fixing them to make their beloved charter schools look better. He also is giving them 6 figure salaries, which is far more than Superintendent Ritz makes. He crusades against Common Core while not coming up with anything to replace the existing pathetic educational standards just to stick it to Obama and set himself up for 2016, instead of reinstating the good standards we had before.

He has accomplished absolutely nothing of importance that is good. Ab.so.lute.ly.noth.ing. He's done an enormous amount of traveling to speak to conservative groups about how he's turning Indiana into a Teabagger paradise, and is pretty much using the Governor's office as a springboard to the 2016 primaries so he can claim "executive experience". He's done more campaigning than actual Governing. He claims credit for the state's falling unemployment rate (5.9% last month), but like the rest of the country it's just people dropping out of the workforce.

Pence is an authoritarian neocon, who would combine the worst traits of GW Bush and the TEA Party, and he's using Indiana as his experimentation lab to show the US how horrible the future  is going to be if he elect more of his kind.

[/rant of the day]
Unfortunately, Mike Pence will still be re-elected in 2016 and has a pretty good shot at defeating Joe Donnelly in the 2018 Senate race.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 12:20:19 PM »

F.
Pages: [1] 2 3