American Southwest Could Face Megadrought This Century
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:04:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  American Southwest Could Face Megadrought This Century
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: American Southwest Could Face Megadrought This Century  (Read 416 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2014, 07:17:56 PM »
« edited: August 28, 2014, 07:20:17 PM by Frodo »

Many of you living in the region may want to consider moving out...

Southwest may face 'megadrought' within century, study finds

Aug 26, 2014 by Blaine Friedlander

(Phys.org) —Due to global warming, scientists say, the chances of the southwestern United States experiencing a decade-long drought is at least 50 percent, and the chances of a "megadrought" – one that lasts up to 35 years – ranges from 20 to 50 percent over the next century.

The study by Cornell, University of Arizona and U.S. Geological Survey researchers will be published in a forthcoming issue of the American Meteorological Society's Journal of Climate.

"For the southwestern U.S., I'm not optimistic about avoiding real megadroughts," said Toby Ault, Cornell assistant professor of earth and atmospheric sciences and lead author of the paper. "As we add greenhouse gases into the atmosphere – and we haven't put the brakes on stopping this – we are weighting the dice for megadrought."
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2014-08-southwest-megadrought-century.html#jCp
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 07:34:53 PM »

A 40% risk for California? I think that's good news at this point.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 08:40:46 PM »

Weird map.  There's a little rectangular gulf where the Berkshires and a good bit of southern New England used to be.  What happened to Cape Cod and Cape Ann?

politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 10:13:49 AM »

Inland states seem to be screwed more than anybody else. The West Coast can tap into the ocean through desalination plants and they should. If it can be done in the Middle East, it can surely be done in this country. I do consider myself an environmentalist, but water needs take precedence and it can be done in a way to minimize any environmental costs. Ideally, California will have vast solar arrays that provide the energy for such plants; clean energy that produces clean water.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 04:16:15 PM »

It could also be the wettest century since the last ice age. I wouldn't put much stock in these predictions stacked with mighty, maybes, and coulds.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 06:10:33 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2014, 06:15:29 PM by angus »

If it can be done in the Middle East, it can surely be done in this country.

Most of the Middle East isn't plagued by the pesky democratic process.  (Or at least it wasn't until recently, and I'm guessing that in those places that recently overthrew their repressive leaders there's some buyer's remorse.)  Here, we have to come together to do it.  We've become far too populated and vast an empire to function effectively as a democracy, and in any case big Public Works projects are the whipping children of those who favor austerity.  I just don't see large-scale desalination plants powerd by large-scale, solar-powered generators fetching much popular support any time in the near future.

Luckily, the vastness of our empire supports high mobility, and internal migration isn't particularly difficult.  We could see a drain on the population from the Southwest, and that may not be a bad thing since that region is already supporting far more inhabitants than is ecologically feasible.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 09:35:31 PM »

Time to build this crazy thing.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 09:56:53 PM »

Small surprise. We're not even supposed to be there, by my recollection of "King of the Hill".
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 02:32:44 AM »

Of course we can be there. Farming there is kinda dumb but people can live comfortably there using a little water very efficiently. Water recycling, desalination, and smart land use can make the desert one of the best environments for humans in the modern world.  All that extra water vapor currently being emitted in our deserts is dramatically changing the micro climates around the cities, however. Phoenix has seen a large rise in overnight low temperatures so that heat exhaustion at night is possible. Rather than cooling to 70 or75 by morning, some mornings don't get below 90. That is almost certainly a human caused change.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies