Buchanan: Hillary has never been right on Foreign Policy.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:50:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Buchanan: Hillary has never been right on Foreign Policy.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Buchanan: Hillary has never been right on Foreign Policy.  (Read 4126 times)
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2014, 09:34:19 PM »

Interesting article from Pat Buchanan. Say what you want about him, he brings up a few great points about Hillary's warmongerism and Neoconservative foreign policy.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 09:49:58 PM »

I love this argument.  "Pat Buchanan might be a racist, anti-Semitic Hitler fanboy, but..."

Once that's on the table, who cares what this creep thinks?   Nobody has less credibility on foreign policy than someone who wrote a book trying to rehabilitate Adolph Hitler's reputation.  Do you actually take Pat Buchanan seriously?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 02:34:50 PM »

I love this argument.  "Pat Buchanan might be a racist, anti-Semitic Hitler fanboy, but..."

Once that's on the table, who cares what this creep thinks?   Nobody has less credibility on foreign policy than someone who wrote a book trying to rehabilitate Adolph Hitler's reputation.  Do you actually take Pat Buchanan seriously?
Buchanan was very, very influential in the Nixon White House. His role was mostly focused around domestic political events, but the Nixon foreign policy achievements are among the greatest of the last century, and he was a senior advisor, so you know, maybe he does have a bit more street cred than you claim.....
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 04:52:17 PM »

A racist and Holocaust-denier bashing Hillary...I guess she must be doing something right.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »

Of course he'd say this. He's in the same tradition as isolationists such as Abraham Lincoln, William McKinley, Charles Lindbergh and Bob Taft, before the Cold War made conservatives into temporary internationalists.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 05:00:34 PM »

Buchanan was very, very influential in the Nixon White House. His role was mostly focused around domestic political events, but the Nixon foreign policy achievements are among the greatest of the last century, and he was a senior advisor, so you know, maybe he does have a bit more street cred than you claim.....

Great...  Not only is this guy a rabid anti-Semite, racist and Hitler lover, but he worked in the Nixon White House too!?  Seriously, if you're angry at Obama for foreign wars, civil liberties violations and such, wasn't Nixon 800,000 times worse?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 05:07:36 PM »

Of course he'd say this. He's in the same tradition as isolationists such as Abraham Lincoln, William McKinley, Charles Lindbergh and Bob Taft, before the Cold War made conservatives into temporary internationalists.
...what?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 05:08:16 PM »

Great...  Not only is this guy a rabid anti-Semite, racist and Hitler lover, but he worked in the Nixon White House too!?  Seriously, if you're angry at Obama for foreign wars, civil liberties violations and such, wasn't Nixon 800,000 times worse?
Just about even. Nixon's use of bugging was a continuation of Kennedy/Johnson policies. Nixon also at least made an effort to end the Vietnam War where as Obama has dragged his feet in Afghanistan (though, to his credit, he got us out of Iraq), and finally, Obama is just generally incompetent. Beet said it best today, even though I disagree with his angle:

Will the heavens open up and a light beam shine on the messiah to lift him up into the skies? Is that how far above it all he is?

He has always been this way (see the 2012 domestic policy debate between him and Mitt) but the enthusiasm of his supporters and historical events have always allowed him to get away with it, and come away looking cool and collected. During 2012, Bill Clinton made the case for him since he wouldn't do it himself. He probably thinks the American people aren't worthy of being convinced by his majesty.

This year however, has been annus horribilis. Obama is totally paralyzed in the Middle East, as he has been since 2011. The vacuum of U.S. support for moderate rebels in Syria has allowed ISIS to revive itself from the near death it was at when Obama came into office. Now the U.S. has no one to support, and Osama bin Laden's dream of a translational Islamist caliphate is reality. China has been increasingly aggressive ever since Obama came into office, and relations are now at their lowest point since 1972. Obama's pivot to Asia now looks either premature or a half-hearted attempt at containment. Russia- I need not even speak of this. One needs only to watch the professor lecturing Mitt Romney during 2012 about Russia's benevolence. ag is right about Russia- Putin is a bully who will only make more and more land grabs so long as he is allowed to get away with it. And Obama has more or less said he is going to let Putin do it. I guess that's what he meant by a "reset." Israel-Palestine is as bad as ever. No U.S. Secretary of State has been so openly mocked, insulted, humiliated, and disrespected by the Israeli government than John Forbes Kerry, a man who wanted the SoS job in the first place so he could help Israel and Palestine resolve their conflict. Obama has failed to stand up to his man in the State Department and shown the complete impotence of the U.S. foreign ministry, as well as his administration, in influencing Israel.

And finally ebola- international organizations have been screaming about this for months. Obama has never said a word about this, as far as I can tell, it is not even on his radar, even now. International organizations are overwhelmed. The fact of the matter is, the U.S. ought to be a world leader in the response here (as the most advanced biotechnological nation), and it is in our interest to respond because it is only going to get more costly the bigger it blows.

These things are all getting worse every day.

And where is Obama? Golfing.

Nixon achieved an arms agreement with Russia. Obama is mocked by Russia. Nixon silently let Israel do as they pleased with quiet military support-Obama just talks about peace yet has made no effort to assist either side.

Finally, you make a fair point that Buchanan is an anti-Semite. That is well documented, and even supporters like me won’t refute this. But was he right on non-intervention? Yes. Not wanting war with Hitler does not equate to supporting Hitler. But that is another debate for another time.

...what?
I didn't get that either, but the point wasn't bad on the whole.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 05:09:37 PM »

...what?

It's remarkable how their statures keep dropping, isn't it? Like the reverse evolutionary chart...
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 05:11:51 PM »

...what?

It's remarkable how their statures keep dropping, isn't it? Like the reverse evolutionary chart...
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you trying to make a joke? You don't really think William McKinley was an isolationist, do you?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 05:17:09 PM »

...what?

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you trying to make a joke? You don't really think William McKinley was an isolationist, do you?

Why not? He said he hated war, and the only one he was involved in during his presidency, he had to be dragged into by yellow journalists. The progressive Teddy Roosevelt is the one who lived and breathed the war.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 05:19:22 PM »

Just about even. Nixon's use of bugging was a continuation of Kennedy/Johnson policies. Nixon also at least made an effort to end the Vietnam War where as Obama has dragged his feet in Afghanistan (though, to his credit, he got us out of Iraq), and finally, Obama is just generally incompetent.

That's just bonkers.  I think either you don't know your history or we just have wildly different worldviews.  And, Beet's concern trolling about Obama is pretty unimpressive if you ask me.
SNJ1985
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 08:26:32 PM »

Pat would make a great president. I would've voted for him in 2000 had I been of voting age at the time.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 09:16:53 PM »

...what?

Why not? He said he hated war, and the only one he was involved in during his presidency, he had to be dragged into by yellow journalists. The progressive Teddy Roosevelt is the one who lived and breathed the war.

"Less eager to start a war than Teddy Roosevelt" might include everyone not named Teddy Roosevelt.
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 09:32:36 PM »

Pat would make a great president. I would've voted for him in 2000 had I been of voting age at the time.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 09:37:15 PM »

Every once in a while he's right.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 09:41:33 PM »

Pat Buchanan is a goddamn racist fool.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 11:22:11 PM »

Ol' Pat only seems to really whine about this stuff when the Democrats are in power.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2014, 01:13:38 AM »
« Edited: August 30, 2014, 01:15:27 AM by Mordecai »

I love this argument.  "Pat Buchanan might be a racist, anti-Semitic Hitler fanboy, but..."

Once that's on the table, who cares what this creep thinks?   Nobody has less credibility on foreign policy than someone who wrote a book trying to rehabilitate Adolph Hitler's reputation.  Do you actually take Pat Buchanan seriously?

That's disgusting, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Nixon has some of the most vile war crimes committed by an American president in the 20th century to his name.

Also, Buchanan is literally a Hitler apologist. He says that if he were alive in 1939 he would have let Hitler take over Europe and carry out his campaign of genocide. You can't make this sh-t up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDkG9fY5pZQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XionBABQGVk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2E-rPs_IuU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6ESP1qK7BI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojbcl1MbhDI

I love this argument.  "Pat Buchanan might be a racist, anti-Semitic Hitler fanboy, but..."

Once that's on the table, who cares what this creep thinks?   Nobody has less credibility on foreign policy than someone who wrote a book trying to rehabilitate Adolph Hitler's reputation.  Do you actually take Pat Buchanan seriously?

Great...  Not only is this guy a rabid anti-Semite, racist and Hitler lover, but he worked in the Nixon White House too!?  Seriously, if you're angry at Obama for foreign wars, civil liberties violations and such, wasn't Nixon 800,000 times worse?
Just about even. Nixon's use of bugging was a continuation of Kennedy/Johnson policies. Nixon also at least made an effort to end the Vietnam War where as Obama has dragged his feet in Afghanistan (though, to his credit, he got us out of Iraq), and finally, Obama is just generally incompetent.

What the hell?

Nixon (along with Kissinger and John Mitchell) is the reason why the Vietnam War didn't end in 1968. Nixon sabotaged the Peace Accords in 1968 by going behind the back of the State Department and the President and telling the South Vietnamese President Nguyễn Văn Thiệu that he would get a better deal with a President Nixon than he would with Johnson/Humphrey if he walked away from the Peace Accords.

Then he lied to the American people about having a secret plan to end the war in order to win the election, not once but twice. That betrayal of trust of the American people, needlessly dragging out the war for another five years to serve his own political ends and sending thousands of men to their deaths, makes him one of (if not, the) worst President of the twentieth century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xghrs_N4Vuo
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 02:05:54 AM »

...what?

So expressing a dislike of war makes you an isolationist? Even if you engage in one of the most imperialistic wars in your country's history and subsequently subjugate and colonize foreign lands gained by conquest? 
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 09:59:22 AM »

I love how all of the Clinton-hacks in this thread are just using ad-hominem rather than addressing the points made in the article. They don't want to admit that Hilary has been wrong on everything she's said when it comes to these key foreign policy decisions.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 10:43:54 AM »

I love how all of the Clinton-hacks in this thread are just using ad-hominem rather than addressing the points made in the article. They don't want to admit that Hilary has been wrong on everything she's said when it comes to these key foreign policy decisions.

You know the anti-Hillary hacks are desperate when they resort to pimping a column written by a racist Holocaust-denier.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 09:41:42 AM »

You know the anti-Hillary hacks are desperate when they resort to pimping a column written by a racist Holocaust-denier.

Thanks for proving my point about no one wanting to adress the points made in the article.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2014, 10:53:45 AM »

Thanks for proving my point about no one wanting to adress the points made in the article.

Who cares what points he made?  If you want to make points about Hillary's foreign policy, perhaps you should use a column from someone other than a racist Holocaust-denier.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2014, 12:01:40 PM »

Who cares what points he made?  If you want to make points about Hillary's foreign policy, perhaps you should use a column from someone other than a racist Holocaust-denier.

Buchanan is a Hitler apologist who's flirted with Holocaust denial. He has no credibility to speak on anything. I don't care what David Duke or Shirley Phelps Roper have to say about a Hillary candidacy either.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies