Ask IceSpear
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:47:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Ask IceSpear
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ask IceSpear  (Read 683 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2014, 12:56:34 AM »

Way late to the party, but whatever.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 02:14:55 AM »

If Hillary Clinton and your mother were trapped in a burning building, and you could only save one of them, who would you save?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 05:24:08 AM »

What are your religious beliefs, if any?

Who are some of your favourite politicians, past and present, besides Hillary Clinton?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 11:24:26 AM »

How did you choose your username?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 02:20:53 PM »

What concrete, specific policy and/or legislative accomplishments does Hillary Clinton have that would make her a top-tier contender for the Democratic Presidential nomination (let alone the actual Presidency itself) if she had never married Bill Clinton?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 02:24:16 PM »

Who will you be supporting for president in 2016?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 04:22:02 PM »

If Hillary Clinton and your mother were trapped in a burning building, and you could only save one of them, who would you save?

Hmm, good question. Is Hillary already president in this scenario?

(Just kidding, obviously my mother)

What are your religious beliefs, if any?

Who are some of your favourite politicians, past and present, besides Hillary Clinton?

I'm an atheist, and have been since I was about 16. I used to be a strong "anti-theist" who did my best to insult/mock religions as often as possible, but once I got more mature I stopped caring, and now think people can believe whatever they choose (unless they try to force their beliefs on others).

Past - Abraham Lincoln, FDR, LBJ, JFK...pretty standard Democratic sacred cows. I like Ike. Even though he's pretty awful in retrospect (like most politicians from the past), I admire Henry Clay. I have a love-hate relationship with Bob Casey, Sr.

Present - Dayton, Shumlin, and Brown are probably my favorite Dem govs. As for Senators, I like Barbara Boxer, Chris Murphy, Elizabeth Warren, Jon Tester, Kirsten Gillibrand, Sherrod Brown, the Oregon duo, Bernie Sanders, Mark Warner, and Tammy Baldwin. As far as Republicans go, Lisa Murkowski and Brian Sandoval are pretty good.

How did you choose your username?

I put two random words I thought of together. Tongue

What concrete, specific policy and/or legislative accomplishments does Hillary Clinton have that would make her a top-tier contender for the Democratic Presidential nomination (let alone the actual Presidency itself) if she had never married Bill Clinton?

>Implying people care about legislative accomplishments when supporting a president. Tongue Since nothing gets done these days anyway, very few senators have any legislative accomplishments, including Obama when he was a senator and most of the Republican senators bandied about as potential 2016 candidates.

As for concrete policy, I admired her smart power philosophy when abroad, which I see as a good medium between the Cheneyite neocon philosophy and the Ron Paul isolationist philosophy. And even though she may be less liberal than Obama (although the degree to which this is so is vastly overstated), I believe she'd be more effective than he is. Hillary knows the DC game well, which her opponents say is a negative, but I see a positive. Obama has been too aloof and detached, willing to delegate everything to Congress. I see Hillary as being one to put her nose to the grindstone and wheel and deal until she gets something that is a step in the right direction, even if it's only incremental.

As for the rest of her policy, she's a fairly generic Democrat on both social issues and economic issues. I'm not sure where the whole "Hillary is a Wall Street shill thing" came from, unless you're extrapolating based off her husband (which is sexist). It should also be noted that a lot of Bill's "Wall Street giveaways" passed under overwhelming, bipartisan, and veto-proof majorities. Congress is just as if not more important than the presidency, which many purists don't seem to understand. Electing Cruz or Sanders isn't going to change anything if Congress remains stagnant.

Who will you be supporting for president in 2016?

Brian Schweitzer (not a right-wing Democrat)

If that doesn't work out...

Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 08:47:43 PM »

What is your position on Affirmative Action and why?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 08:50:06 PM »

How did you first become interested/knowledgeable in politics?
RR1997
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 09:16:49 PM »

How have your political views evolved over time?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 12:43:13 AM »

What is your position on Affirmative Action and why?

Mixed/neutral. I acknowledge the need to help alleviate the inherent disadvantages that minorities face due to being oppressed for centuries (this doesn't just go away overnight). On the other hand, the idea of strict quotas also rubs me the wrong way, especially when it involves rejecting a more skilled/suitable applicant based solely on meeting that quota. I'm more about equality of opportunity than equality of outcome, but again, minorities are at an inherent disadvantage from the start. It's a tough issue. If it was on the ballot and I was forced to choose, I'd probably vote in favor.

How did you first become interested/knowledgeable in politics?

I had a few short stints of being "interested" in politics. I vaguely remember Bush not actually winning in 2000, Bush being dumb and wanting Kerry to win in 2004, and Democrats sweeping 2006. When I was like 13 I had a brief "communist phase" but that passed pretty quickly and I went back to being apathetic and apolitical. I didn't start getting really interested until the 2008 election. I started following politics in June 2008, during one of my very boring summer breaks in high school. I was confused why Hillary Clinton wasn't a candidate anymore (all I heard was about her, and little about Obama) so I googled it to find out. I came across electoral-vote.com, and all the maps and analysis fascinated me and started my metamorphosis into a political junkie. After that, I pretty much browsed politics sites daily and to this day, though I didn't discover Atlas until late in the game (I would mostly just follow the maps/models/polls and rarely comment on anything, except maybe news articles on occasion).

How have your political views evolved over time?

They really haven't very much. Aside from the afrorementioned communist phase, I've been a pretty standard liberal Democrat ever since I first started following politics, and haven't budged much since then. I have drifted to the right on foreign policy issues, as when I was younger I was in the staunch isolationist camp. My views on it are a lot more nuanced now, I'm guessing partly because without the lightning rod of Bush's terrible foreign policy it gave me more room to consider my own thoughts on the matter. However, I'd still take Ron Paul style isolationism over Cheneyite neoconservatism any day.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies