Tik's Focus on Christmas (Music) Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:17:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Tik's Focus on Christmas (Music) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tik's Focus on Christmas (Music) Thread  (Read 458 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2014, 05:03:41 AM »

While I was growing up my family didn't really have a traditional Christmas music collection to play in the background during our festive wankery at home. And that was alright.

But after I moved here I learned that in my wife's family's home they cannot so much as get out the boxes full of Christmas decorations without putting on frigging Kenny Rogers and Anne Murray singing the Christmas essentials. Slowly, without conviction, with boring instrumentation. It makes me want to drown an infant in Bailey's.

So after moving out several years back I convinced her that I'd make a new album. I have some Squirrel Nut Zippers, Sufjan Stevens, and a mishmash of others, but I thought I'd look to you guys for more. I want it to be ready well before December 1st so I'm starting now.

Weird gimmicky stuff, punk covers, instrumentals, simply great renditions, hell even amusingly bad renditions, I'll give it a go. And we'll think of you as put up the tree and later as we inevitably clean tinsel out of cat vomit.

tl;dr Give us interesting Christmas music to enjoy, please.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 08:31:38 AM »

Here's a punchy bluesy one by Clarence Carter from back in the late 60's full of awful double entendres. Really goofy. It was sampled for an even goofier Christmas song by RUN-DMC that has a video you can find if you feel like laughing. That song is on the cleverly titled "Christmas Rap" album which isn't my cup of tea (80's/early 90's rap feels really corny to me). But if anyone knows of any Christmas hip hop from later, that's the kind of thing that would be neat.

And if no one cares to contribute I'll just use this thread as a way to remember what I've found.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 08:46:37 AM »

Joe Pesci singing a vulgarity-laden version of Gene Autry's song If It Doesn't Snow on Christmas This Year. Because accents are silly.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 08:51:33 AM »

I'm Jewish, but...

Donny Hathaway

Otis Redding

JD McPherson

Nick Lowe
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 09:28:05 AM »

Actually if you have any Hannukah songs that would be most excellent, too Smiley The Otis Redding one didn't grab me, but the other three are just wonderful. I'm adding them to the short list, thank you!
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 12:49:05 PM »

You might find some of the material on this list usable:

http://i.imgur.com/xsBQ4g9.jpg

I'm sorry that I can't offer any recommendations. If I had been through some of the albums myself, I would.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 03:20:40 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8qE6WQmNus
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies