Nobody noticed, but Hillary Clinton made the boldest comments on Ferguson/race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:01:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Nobody noticed, but Hillary Clinton made the boldest comments on Ferguson/race
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nobody noticed, but Hillary Clinton made the boldest comments on Ferguson/race  (Read 1868 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2014, 07:26:55 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/she-the-people/wp/2014/08/29/nobody-really-noticed-but-hillary-clinton-has-made-the-boldest-comments-on-ferguson-and-race/?tid=pm_politics_pop

What a disgusting triangulating right-wing DINO!
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 07:28:44 PM »

Civil rights are going to be a campaign issue for her I think.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 08:33:37 PM »

That would be the smart move to make.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 02:44:04 AM »

It would be the RIGHT move, but I'm not convinced at all that it would be the politically smart move. The minority vote is already in her pocket and it might alienate white working class voters who might otherwise be more inclined to vote for her than Obama.

However, it is DEFINITELY the smart move for Rand Paul given that he is a republican who cannot be labeled as a tree-hugging librul.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 02:53:32 AM »

It would be the RIGHT move, but I'm not convinced at all that it would be the politically smart move. The minority vote is already in her pocket and it might alienate white working class voters who might otherwise be more inclined to vote for her than Obama.

However, it is DEFINITELY the smart move for Rand Paul given that he is a republican who cannot be labeled as a tree-hugging librul.

I don't think they're as concerned when it's a white person talking about civil rights.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 05:52:47 AM »

I don't think they're as concerned when it's a white person talking about civil rights.
Possibly.

I know that Europe is not the US, but in most European countries, taking an egalitarian stance on racial issues is literally a kiss of death for just about any politician these days. They will be labeled as someone who wants unlimited immigration in a matter of seconds. Sad but true.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 06:54:01 AM »

Democrats: Anything but class (warfare). Yeah, class and "race" closely track each other, but (1) in terms of raw numbers most "whites" are still part of the broad underclass, and (2) the militarization of police is just another form of rent extraction on the part of the military industrial complex (albeit one that is dwarfed my that of the financial sector). lmk when *any* Dem addresses these points and other less important issues like continued planned unemployment and fraudulent foreclosures.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 07:48:05 AM »

Her statements are very true, though I wonder what she has to say about the War on Drugs now days.  Given that's basically the New Jim Crow and is responsible for a lot of those "one third" arrests, hearing a concession or two on how well that's gone if not even a retraction of support would go a long way (which also ties into the whole militarization of the police debate).

But of course, Obama said similar things back in 2008.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 11:39:15 AM »

Her statements are very true, though I wonder what she has to say about the War on Drugs now days.  Given that's basically the New Jim Crow and is responsible for a lot of those "one third" arrests, hearing a concession or two on how well that's gone if not even a retraction of support would go a long way (which also ties into the whole militarization of the police debate).

She's said that she's fairly positive to marijuana legalization, but that she has no plans to try it herself.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 11:53:47 AM »

Better late, then never.  The real test is whether she actually supports or introduces legislation to seriously address the issues.  Talk is cheap, especially talk about addressing institutional problems.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »

The irony is Hillary is playing for the primary and Rand Paul for the general despite her being in an exponentially stronger position to get her party's nomination than he is.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 11:02:09 PM »

Not sure it matters. See Willie Horton.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies