Pres. Obama Planning Executive Order on Immigration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:23:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pres. Obama Planning Executive Order on Immigration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Pres. Obama Planning Executive Order on Immigration  (Read 5375 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2014, 01:03:37 PM »

US immigration policy is an incredibly important issue to me, since someone I've been very close with for most of my life has had to constantly deal with all the repercussions of being an undocumented resident in the only country she considers home - her family moved to the United States when she was two. I consider myself an activist on this issue and have even attended a huge rally on the National Mall to support the DREAM Act.

With this background in mind, please note that I consider's Obama's alleged failure here to be not a big deal

I was promised comprehensive immigration reform by the President in 2009, 2010, and 2013 and each time nothing happened. Those were disappointments. I was told Obama would pass the DREAM Act in his first year of office, but that didn't happen. Instead, his administration increased the number of deportations to unprecedented levels. I'm very accustomed to disappointment on this issue. A concrete yet controversial step towards fixing our country's immigration problem just got delayed sixty days so it wouldn't have a backlash in the mid-term elections.

This is not a disappointment. This is realism. It's not like he won't go through with it this time, he's just timing it so that members of who would be sympathetic to this sort of thing don't get voted out of office for doing so. Everyone who things this will somehow hurt the President doesn't realize how minor this is compared to all the huge disappointments the President has already caused with this issue.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2014, 02:34:51 PM »

Obama needs to stop using executive orders left and right, and I have no respect for you if you think he can just continuously disregard congress like this

STFU, Obama has only issued 182 executive orders, the only guys who have used less(since JFK) is Bush and Ford.

And Congress had their chance to deal with immigration and decided to punt it back to Obama.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2014, 02:43:07 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/07/us/politics/obama-said-to-delay-executive-action-on-immigration.html?_r=0

Looks like this will get pushed back until after the election.   Immigration activists will now be steaming mad since Obama kept their hopes up only to let them down.

An understandable two-month delay.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2014, 05:50:55 PM »

Tell me: why is Obama's immigration reform necessary?

Because the House failed to act.

That's not what I asked.  I didn't ask why an executive order is necessary.  I asked why immigration reform itself is necessary.

Essentially, why do we need to change from the status quo?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2014, 05:57:38 PM »

Obama needs to stop using executive orders left and right, and I have no respect for you if you think he can just continuously disregard congress like this

STFU, Obama has only issued 182 executive orders, the only guys who have used less(since JFK) is Bush and Ford.

And Congress had their chance to deal with immigration and decided to punt it back to Obama.

It's not the amount of executive orders that matters, its the content of those executive orders.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2014, 06:00:18 PM »

That's not what I asked.  I didn't ask why an executive order is necessary.  I asked why immigration reform itself is necessary.

Mostly this.  While there is much about the immigration status quo I do not like, the solution here is for Obama to negotiate with GOP in the Senate and House to get a deal.  If the GOP attaches conditions Obama will not accept he should then run on the issue in the upcoming elections and let the electorate give their input on the issue.  What Obama seems to be doing is the exact opposite.  He is avoiding the issue in the 2014 elections (I think he is wrong here as well as I actually doing this will demotivate the Dem base and does not do the Dems any good) for some undefined unilateral executive action that he might take after the elections.  A unilateral executive action now actually makes more sense in the sense that the electorate can give their input on how they feel about these executive actions as to guide Obama and future administrations input on how to handle these types of situations.  
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2014, 06:16:37 PM »

Mostly this.  While there is much about the immigration status quo I do not like, the solution here is for Obama to negotiate with GOP in the Senate and House to get a deal.  If the GOP attaches conditions Obama will not accept he should then run on the issue in the upcoming elections and let the electorate give their input on the issue.  What Obama seems to be doing is the exact opposite.  He is avoiding the issue in the 2014 elections (I think he is wrong here as well as I actually doing this will demotivate the Dem base and does not do the Dems any good) for some undefined unilateral executive action that he might take after the elections.  A unilateral executive action now actually makes more sense in the sense that the electorate can give their input on how they feel about these executive actions as to guide Obama and future administrations input on how to handle these types of situations.  

How does this demotivate the base? Executive action on immigration is going to happen, Obama has nothing to lose after the election.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2014, 06:22:45 PM »

How does this demotivate the base? Executive action on immigration is going to happen, Obama has nothing to lose after the election.

Articles like 

To some, Obama’s immigration delay proves ‘it’s never convenient to help out Latinos’
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/to-some-obamas-immigration-delay-proves-its-never-convenient-to-help-out-latinos/2014/09/06/9c4a17c8-35fa-11e4-8f02-03c644b2d7d0_story.html

Immigration Activists Livid After Obama Delays Deportation Relief
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/06/obama-deportation-relief_n_5777512.html?ir=Politics

Make me suspect that.  Of course one can make the argument that segment of people that might not turn out as opposed to this is not large.  But the number of votes Obama is "saving", it seems to me, by delaying this, is even smaller.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2014, 06:40:34 PM »

Articles like 

To some, Obama’s immigration delay proves ‘it’s never convenient to help out Latinos’
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/to-some-obamas-immigration-delay-proves-its-never-convenient-to-help-out-latinos/2014/09/06/9c4a17c8-35fa-11e4-8f02-03c644b2d7d0_story.html

Immigration Activists Livid After Obama Delays Deportation Relief
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/06/obama-deportation-relief_n_5777512.html?ir=Politics

Make me suspect that.  Of course one can make the argument that segment of people that might not turn out as opposed to this is not large.  But the number of votes Obama is "saving", it seems to me, by delaying this, is even smaller.

I don't see the correlation here. So a decision which isn't even relevant to this election is going cause them to sit out.

Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2014, 06:43:42 PM »

It's not the amount of executive orders that matters, its the content of those executive orders.

And the fact that he is disregarding congress by doing all these orders to get his way. Don't like my idea? EXECUTIVE ORDER TIME.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2014, 07:03:34 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2014, 07:10:52 PM by Yank2133 »

And the fact that he is disregarding congress by doing all these orders to get his way. Don't like my idea? EXECUTIVE ORDER TIME.

What are you talking about? The only reason why Obama has had to go this route is because Congress has no intention of governing. Just look at the border crisis, Obama is using this route because the clowns on the right can't even get enough GOP votes for their own border bill and Boehner just punted the issue back to Obama.

There is a reason why no one outside of the people on the right by into the Obama is tyrant nonsense, the issue is an inept GOP controlled house whom have no intention of do anything productive.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2014, 07:06:41 PM »

What are you talking about? The only reason why Obama has had to go this route is because Congress has no intention of governing. Just look at the border crisis, Obama is using this route because the clowns on the right can't even get enough GOP votes for their own border bill and Boehner just punted the issue back to Obama.

There is a reason why no one outside of the people on the right don't by into the Obama is tyrant nonsense, the issue is an inept GOP controlled house whom have no intention of do anything productive.

They don't want to do anything and Obama doesn't want to listen and Reid is too partisan to consider a compromise either? Shocker. That's how it is, deal with it. It isn't Obama's responsibility to make such major decisions on his own. That is what we call a dictatorship. We NEED those checks and balances, and too bad if nobody wants to cooperate. It IS a chicken or the egg situation, though.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2014, 07:30:40 PM »

There is a reason why no one outside of the people on the right don't by into the Obama is tyrant nonsense, the issue is an inept GOP controlled house whom have no intention of do anything productive.

They don't want to do anything and Obama doesn't want to listen and Reid is too partisan to consider a compromise either? Shocker. That's how it is, deal with it. It isn't Obama's responsibility to make such major decisions on his own. That is what we call a dictatorship. We NEED those checks and balances, and too bad if nobody wants to cooperate. It IS a chicken or the egg situation, though.

Oh please, they couldn't do anything because Boehner didn't have the votes from his own party. The bill was essentially not right wing enough for the tea party wing of the GOP, and you think it is the Dems being too partisan?

Yeah, it shouldn't be Obama's responsibility, but Boehner and the house punted the issue back and told him to do something about it. This isn't about Obama being some stubborn dictator, it is about an inept house lead GOP, who are too chicken**** to make tough decisions that would piss off their base.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2014, 07:30:57 PM »

There is a reason why no one outside of the people on the right by into the Obama is tyrant nonsense, the issue is an inept GOP controlled house whom have no intention of do anything productive.

I wouldn't go as far as to say he's a "tyrant", but the numerous civil liberties violations that have been committed under his administration should concern all Americans.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2014, 08:18:29 PM »

Oh please, they couldn't do anything because Boehner didn't have the votes from his own party. The bill was essentially not right wing enough for the tea party wing of the GOP, and you think it is the Dems being too partisan?

Yeah, it shouldn't be Obama's responsibility, but Boehner and the house punted the issue back and told him to do something about it. This isn't about Obama being some stubborn dictator, it is about an inept house lead GOP, who are too chicken**** to make tough decisions that would piss off their base.

Okay good. Real conversation. As I said, it was a chicken/egg thing. However, are you really going to blame only the house? Yes Boehner is an awful leader (Gowdy FTW) but Reid is too. It is this perfect mixture of ineptitude, which is why it would at least become a little less conjumbled if the GOP has both chambers again. It wouldn't be hunky dory, but at least Reid would stop limiting amendments and at least stuff would get through the Legislative branch, causing more of an incentive for compromise a-la 90s
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies