2008 Presidential Election: Game Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:57:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008 Presidential Election: Game Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 34
Author Topic: 2008 Presidential Election: Game Thread  (Read 77834 times)
NHI
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: November 03, 2014, 06:16:27 PM »
« edited: November 03, 2014, 06:24:42 PM by NHI »

Gallup Poll: Democratic Primary January 2008
Hillary Clinton: 32%
Evan Bayh: 32%
Blanche Lincoln: 31%
Undecided: 5%

Which candidate can defeat President Giuliani?
Hillary Clinton: 34%
Evan Bayh: 33%
Blanche Lincoln: 30%
Undecided: 3%
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #601 on: November 03, 2014, 06:18:43 PM »

Dean Spokesperson Jerry Brown on Candidate's sudden withdraw

"Governor Dean had a heart attack while speaking in Detriot, and a pretty severe one. He can't possibly continue the campaign, and so he's given me this message. Governor Dean respects the work all the other candidates have put forward, but only one can make real change AND beat President Giuliani, and that is Former Senator Blanche Lincoln. His arguement is simple - Evan Bayh's record and campaign has made it impossible for him to make any real difference, and while Senator Clinton is decidedly more liberal than Lincoln, her campaign has been rather strange and her recent surge confounding to him, while Lincoln has gone out and moved the bar on issues like poverty, and has a real ability to fight President Giuliani. When Dean recovers fully, if he does within a couple of months, he will campaign full-on for Senator Lincoln, demanding the party to unite behind the Senator."
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #602 on: November 03, 2014, 06:27:16 PM »

BREAKING NEWS: DEAN SUFFERED HEART ATTACK; REASON FOR EXIT REVEALED
Dean Spokesperson Jerry Brown on Candidate's sudden withdraw

"Governor Dean had a heart attack while speaking in Detriot, and a pretty severe one. He can't possibly continue the campaign, and so he's given me this message. Governor Dean respects the work all the other candidates have put forward, but only one can make real change AND beat President Giuliani, and that is Former Senator Blanche Lincoln. His arguement is simple - Evan Bayh's record and campaign has made it impossible for him to make any real difference, and while Senator Clinton is decidedly more liberal than Lincoln, her campaign has been rather strange and her recent surge confounding to him, while Lincoln has gone out and moved the bar on issues like poverty, and has a real ability to fight President Giuliani. When Dean recovers fully, if he does within a couple of months, he will campaign full-on for Senator Lincoln, demanding the party to unite behind the Senator."

In a statement from Howard Dean, his campaign revealed he suffered a massive heart attack while campaigning in Michigan and the result has prevented him from being to able to carry on the campaign. Instead he has thrown his support to Blanche Lincoln, the former Arkansas Senator and 2004 Vice Presidential candidate.

Lincoln, despite coming in third has seen a recent surge with Dean's sudden exit and endorsement. Polling puts her ahead in Florida and South Carolina, two important battleground states.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #603 on: November 03, 2014, 06:40:53 PM »

General Election Polls: January 2008

Heading for a Battle in November?!

Despite wrapping up a primary challenge -- President Giuliani has seen his numbers shrink in the head-to-head match up against the three remaining Democratic challengers, Evan Bayh, Hillary Clinton and Blanche Lincoln. In the latest poll, Lincoln does the best, coming off a surge in support following Howard Dean's sad departure, which resulted in him endorsing the Arkansas Democrat. Throughout the recent months Giuliani has held steady against his rivals, leading all of them by healthy margins, this is the first time the polls have suggested the November election may be tightening, with party fatigue perhaps contributing to some degree and the aftermath of the GOP primary Giuliani may be feeling the heat.

Gallup: AVG R: 50.0% D: 45.3% (+4.7)
Rudy Giuliani: 50% (+4)
Blanche Lincoln: 46%

Rudy Giuliani: 50% (+5)
Hillary Clinton: 45%

Evan Bayh: 45%

PPP: AVG: R: 49.3% D: 45.0% (R+4.3)
Rudy Giuliani: 49% (+3)

Rudy Giuliani: 49% (+5)
Hillary Clinton: 44%

NBC/WSJ: AVG: R: 49.3% D: 45.7% (R+3.6)
Rudy Giuliani: 49% (+3)

Rudy Giuliani: 50% (+4)
Hillary Clinton: 46%

Rudy Giuliani: 49% (+4)

RCP AVG: January 2008 (R+4.2)
Rudy Giuliani: 49.5%
Democrat: 45.3%
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #604 on: November 03, 2014, 07:14:36 PM »

Giuliani Campaign Rally in Louisville, Kentucky
January 16th, 2008

President Rudy Giuliani held a rally at the University of Louisville in Louisville, Kentucky on January 16th, 2008. Senator Hillary Clinton, Former Senator Blanche Lincoln, Senator Evan Bayh, Governor Howard Dean, Governor Mark Sanford, and their families were all invited to the event - as were most media sources. He took the stage shortly before noon, coming on to "Hail to the Chief" played by the University's Marching Band.

"Hello! Thank you, thank you.

Just over four years ago, I began my first campaign for President. I had just won the Wyoming and New Hampshire primaries but my campaign was facing an uphill fight. That was a long and drawn out primary - but it was good for the party to have a thorough and well-planned series of discussions and debates. During that time, I sparred with Senator George Allen for the nomination. He kept on my toes and forced me to work hard for the nomination. He and I went on and on, crisscrossed the nation, spoke to everyone who would listen, and really led a discussion about the direction of the Republican Party. He faced a tough re-election in 2006 but I stood next to him the entire race, I spent Election Night '06 with him, and he won that race to represent the people of Virginia for six more years. He has been a close ally to my administration since Day One, serving as my closest connection in the Senate.

As many of you know, Vice President Hutchison has withdrawn herself from the 2008 race. I cannot express my thanks for her services to myself, to our nation, and to the great state of Texas. However this left me in the position of searching for a new running mate - someone to join me in the next four years and all it's trials and tribulations. We had a great team who looked up and down the nation, interviews scores of candidates, and helped me make my final decision. Now, it is my honor to introduce the next Vice President of the United States - Senator George Allen!

OOC: Branden Cordeiro will be playing as Allen.

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #605 on: November 03, 2014, 07:22:16 PM »

I knew Allen was going places! Wink
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #606 on: November 03, 2014, 07:58:19 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2014, 08:00:25 PM by NHI »

Giuliani-Allen 2008

President Giuliani announced his Vice Presidential pick to be Senator George Allen; his one-time rival from four years ago. A pick which will likely rally the Republican base around the President as he looks to take on his Democratic opponent, once an official nominee is clear.

Support for the Republican Ticket:

Positive: 85%
Negative: 11%
Undecided/No Opinion: 4%

Presidential Giuliani Approval Rating:
Approve: 50%
Disapprove: 44%
Undecided/No Opinion: 6%
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #607 on: November 03, 2014, 08:31:23 PM »

Is there any updated polling information on Ohio, Iowa, Kentucky, and Arkansas?
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #608 on: November 03, 2014, 08:37:09 PM »

Ohio
Rudy Giuliani: 49% (R+3)
Generic Democrat: 46%

Arkansas:
Rudy Giuliani: 50% (R+5)
Generic Democrat: 45%

with Blanche Lincoln and Hillary Clinton

Lincoln: 48% (+1)
Giuliani: 47%

Giuliani: 48%
Clinton: 48%

Kentucky:
Rudy Giuliani: 49% (+4)
Generic Democrat: 45%
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #609 on: November 03, 2014, 09:46:05 PM »

December 10, 2008 Ford Field ,Detroit, Michigan 1:20 AM

Before we begin, we must say goodbye to Governor Dean, who won both Iowa and New Hampshire and was a worthy adversary on the campaign trail, and we hope he will feel better soon. Obviously, Senator Bayh won here in Michigan. But we finished second again, and we're not going anywhere just yet. Finally we bid farewell to Governor Sanford, who asked questions that many Republicans want to ask, but couldn't quite seal the deal. Of course, that means, President Giuliani is once again the Republican nominee, and I'm sure all three of us are raring to taking him on in November. As for me, the next stops are Nevada and South Carolina, and I'm looking forward to both.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #610 on: November 03, 2014, 09:49:39 PM »

OOC; Since we (Democrats) are now three, I think the endorsement limit should be raised from a maximum five to seven (and then ten, at the head-to-head stage). Of course, all endorsements would remain NHI's discretion.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #611 on: November 03, 2014, 09:55:19 PM »

Rudy Giuliani Campaign Schedule for Jan. 16th-19th, 2008

President Giuliani's 2008 Campaign Staff
Honorary Co-Chairmen: Dick Cheney and Tim Pawlenty
Campaign Manager: Mary Matalin
Chief of Staff: Joe Allbaugh
Press Secretary: Dana Perino
Finance Director: Fred Malek
Chief Pollsters: Neil Newhouse and Bill McInturff

January 16th, 2008; Kentucky
-- Breakfast with VP Search Committee
-- Rally with Sen. George Allen
-- Appearance with Senator Allen on “Fox Report” with Shepard Smith
-- Drive to North Carolina

January 17th, 2008; North Carolina
-- Rally in Washington, NC with Sen. Allen, Sen. E. Dole, and Gov. Sanford
-- Fundraiser in Greensboro, NC with Sen. Allen, Sen. E. Dole, and Gov. Sanford
-- Meet with members of the Greensboro sit-in movement with Sen. Allen
-- Drive to Georgia

January 18th, 2008; Georgia
-- Skype meeting with the Cabinet
-- Rally in Atlanta, GA with Sen. Allen, Gov. Perdue, and Rep. Deal
-- Speak to Political Science Students at Georgia State University with Sen. Allen
-- Drive to Louisiana

January 19th, 2008; Louisiana
-- Breakfast with Sen. Allen and Gov. Jindal
-- Rally in Port Allen, LA with Sen. Allen and Gov. Jindal
-- Meet with victims of Hurricane Katrina in Port Allen, LA with Sen. Allen
-- Appearance on “Live! with Regis and Kelly” via Skype with Sen. Allen
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #612 on: November 03, 2014, 10:17:49 PM »

Sen. George Allen Campaign Schedule for Jan. 16th-19th, 2008

President Giuliani's 2008 Campaign Staff
Honorary Co-Chairmen: Dick Cheney and Tim Pawlenty
Campaign Manager: Mary Matalin
Chief of Staff: Joe Allbaugh
Press Secretary: Dana Perino
Finance Director: Fred Malek
Chief Pollsters: Neil Newhouse and Bill McInturff

January 16th, 2008; Kentucky
-- Breakfast with VP Search Committee
-- Rally with Pres. Rudy Giuliani
-- Appearance with Pres. Giuliani on “Fox Report” with Shepard Smith
-- Drive to North Carolina

January 17th, 2008; North Carolina
-- Rally in Washington, NC with Pres. Giuliani, Sen. E. Dole, and Gov. Sanford
-- Fundraiser in Greensboro, NC with Pres. Giuliani, Sen. E. Dole, and Gov. Sanford
-- Meet with members of the Greensboro sit-in movement with Pres. Giuliani
-- Drive to Georgia

January 18th, 2008; Georgia
-- Skype meeting with the Cabinet
-- Rally in Atlanta, GA with Pres.Giuliani, Gov. Perdue, and Rep. Deal
-- Speak to Political Science Students at Georgia State University with Pres. Giuliani
-- Drive to Louisiana

January 19th, 2008; Louisiana
-- Breakfast with Pres. Giuliani and Gov. Jindal
-- Rally in Port Allen, LA with Pres. Giuliani and Gov. Jindal
-- Meet with victims of Hurricane Katrina in Port Allen, LA with Pres. Giuliani
-- Appearance on “Live! with Regis and Kelly” via Skype with Pres. Giuliani
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #613 on: November 04, 2014, 07:45:11 AM »

Victory at Last
Joe Louis Arena, Michigan- 12:00 AM
Sen. Bayh waves to a jam packed crowd in the Joe Louis Arena before making his victory speech.
Interviewing the Sen. before making his victory speech
Michigan! Thank You for believing in me. Thank you for believing that Evan Bayh can win the people's support. We had gained enough momentum and it doesn't end with this victory! It's not our campaign that made us prevail in this state, it is YOU. We didn't campaign for popularity, it's for  for America. And I want to send my warmest regards to Gov. Sanford, who withdrew from the primaries. This is the time to re-evaluate Rudy Giuliani's presidency. If you want to continue without affordable healthcare, without jobs, and a vunerable America, it's your choice. We will look forward to upset South Carolina and Nevada. Thank You and God Bless the USA!
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #614 on: November 04, 2014, 09:13:18 AM »

OOC; Since we (Democrats) are now three, I think the endorsement limit should be raised from a maximum five to seven (and then ten, at the head-to-head stage). Of course, all endorsements would remain NHI's discretion.

Yes, that is fine with me.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #615 on: November 04, 2014, 11:25:26 AM »

Evan Bayh: The Darkest of Dark Horses Sees the Light of Day

In the wake of Howard Dean's exit from the Democratic Primary, one candidate stands ready to pick up the lead -- and that is Senator Evan Bayh. Bayh has positioned himself below the radar throughout much of the campaign, focusing on the important states. He came narrowly close in Iowa and New Hampshire and finally won the day with a win in Michigan. Now that it is a three-man race the Indiana Democrat is picking up speed and is determined to be the last man standing. However, what separates Bayh from Hillary Clinton and Blanche Lincoln is a sense of acceptability, of prowess and readiness. Bayh is the only candidate to have executive experience, thereby launching him evenly with President Giuliani.

While Clinton and Lincoln have both appealed and at time pandered to the more liberal base of their party Bayh has carved out a spot in the sacred middle ground -- a section that decides Presidential election. The question is whether or not that position of moderation will put him over the top in the Democratic primary. In the mean time, Bayh has been successful at keeping a low profile in this race and beating expectations. He'll need to pick up another big win to remain viable possibly become one of the final two.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #616 on: November 04, 2014, 11:38:10 AM »

Races Tightening in Nevada and South Carolina for the Democrats

The latest CBS News polls shows Evan Bayh is now leading in the Nevada Caucuses, coming off his win in the Michigan Primary. In South Carolina, where Blanche Lincoln has been the long time favorite the most recent Gallup poll has showed the race to be tightening. Democratic pundits point to an energized party and a field with much stronger candidates than four years ago. Other points to the fluidity in the race and the lack of the clear frontrunner, especially now after Howard Dean's departure.

If Howard Dean's health hadn't sidelined him it is believed by many that the former Vermont Governor would have won the nomination, give his campaign infrastructure and victories in both New Hampshire and Iowa. The question now is whether any of the candidate can seize the Dean mantle. Lincoln has received his endorsement but has yet to win a single primary and given she was the losing Vice Presidential candidate from four years ago many voters are unsure if they want her leading the top of the ticket.

Interestingly enough, Bayh is the only remaining candidate in the race to have won a primary. Hillary Clinton originally was thought to have won the New Hampshire primary, but lost narrowly to Dean in a recount and of course Dean won the first contest in Iowa.

CBS News/WSJ Poll: Nevada Caucuses
Evan Bayh: 36%
Hillary Clinton: 31%
Blanche Lincoln: 29%
Undecided: 4%

Gallup Poll: South Carolina Primary
Blanche Lincoln: 34%
Evan Bayh: 32%
Hillary Clinton: 30%
Undecided: 4%
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #617 on: November 04, 2014, 12:46:57 PM »

Hillary Clinton-New Endorsements

Former Lieutenant Governor Nick Theodore (D-SC)

Former Governor Richard Riley (D-SC)

Former Congresswoman Marge Roukema (R-NJ)

Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT)

Former Senator Nancy Kassebaum (R-KS)

Former Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker (D-NJ)

Former Senator Warren Rudman (R-NH)

Former Congressman Lee Hamilton (D-IN)

Former Senator John Glenn (D-OH)
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #618 on: November 07, 2014, 01:25:34 AM »

Lincoln Endorsements

Former Vice President Al Gore

Former Arizona Governor Bruce Babbit

Former New Mexico Lieutenant Governor Roberto Mondragon

Jesse Jackson

Service Employees International Union
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #619 on: November 07, 2014, 02:00:49 AM »

Lincoln Campaign Schedule
Jan. 16-19

January 16 South Carolina
-10:00am - Meet & Greet in Myrtle Beach, w/ Frmr. Gov. Jim Hodges
-11:30am - Meet & Greet in Conway, w/ Frmr. Gov. Jim Hodges
-1:45pm - Rally in Florence, w/ Frmr. Vice President Al Gore Former Vice President Al Gore endorses Blanche Lincoln for President
-3:00pm - Town Hall in Darlington
-4:30pm - Town Hall in Bishopville
-6:00pm - Rally in Sumter, w/ Frmr. Vice President Al Gore

January 17 South Carolina
-10:00am - Press Conference in Columbia, w/ Jesse Jackson Jesse Jackson endorses Blanche Lincoln for President
-12:00pm - Rally in Columbia, w/ Jesse Jackson
-1:30pm - Town Hall in Forest Acres, w/ Frmr. Gov. Jim Hodges
-3:30pm - Town Hall in Seven Oaks, w/ Frmr. Gov. Jim Hodges
-5:00pm - Rally in Lexington, w/ Frmr. Vice President Al Gore
-7:00pm - Meet & Greet in Aiken, w/ Frmr. Gov. Jim Hodges

January 18 South Carolina
-9:45am - Meet & Greet in Johns Island, w/ Frmr. Gov. Jim Hodges
-11:30am - Rally in Charleston, w/ Jesse Jackson
-1:00pm - Rally in North Charleston, w/ Jesse Jackson
-2:20pm - Meet & Greet in Goose Creek
-3:45pm - Town Hall in Summerville, w/ Frmr. Gov. Jim Hodges
-5:15pm - Meet & Greet in St. George, w/ Frmr. Vice President Al Gore
-7:00pm - Town Hall in Varnville/Hampton, w/ Frmr. Vice President Al Gore

January 19 South Carolina
-10:00am - Rally in Spartanburg, w/ Frmr. Vice President Al Gore & Frmr. Gov. Jim Hodges
-12:00pm - Meet & Greet in Taylors
-1:00pm - Rally in Greenville, w/ Jesse Jackson
-2:30pm - Meet & Greet in Piedmont, w/ Jesse Jackson
-3:30pm - Rally in Anderson, w/ Frmr. Vice President Al Gore & Frmr. Gov. Jim Hodges
-6:30pm - Rally in Columbia, w/ Frmr. Vice President Al Gore, Frmr. Gov. Jim Hodges, & Jesse Jackson
-8:00pm-Midnight - Primary Election Night Returns Party
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #620 on: November 07, 2014, 04:51:27 AM »

New Endorsements
January 16-19

Sen. Barack Obama

Nevada Assembly Member Marilyn Kirkpatrick

Nevada Assembly Member James Ohrenschall

SC State Senator Robert Ford

SC State Senator Kay Patterson

SC State Congressman James E. Smith, Jr.

SC State Congressman Todd Rutherford
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #621 on: November 08, 2014, 11:17:16 AM »

Latest Polls:

South Carolina: Democrats (Zogby)
Blanche Lincoln: 37%
Evan Bayh: 31%
Hillary Clinton: 29%

Nevada: Democrats (Zogby)
Evan Bayh: 35%
Hillary Clinton: 34%
Blanche Lincoln: 29%

Florida: General Election R+3 (Gallup)
Rudy Giuliani: 49%
Evan Bayh: 46%

Florida: General Election R+4
Rudy Giuliani: 50%

Florida: General Election R+5
Hillary Clinton: 45%

Ohio General Election R+2 (Gallup)
Rudy Giuliani: 49%
Evan Bayh: 47%

Ohio: General Election R+4
Hillary Clinton: 46%

Ohio: General Election R+6
Blanche Lincoln: 44%

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #622 on: November 08, 2014, 01:29:19 PM »

Hillary 2008; Schedule for Chelsea Clinton

January 16, 2008

GOTV in Boykin, South Carolina

GOTV in Elgin, South Carolina

GOTV in Camden, South Carolina (With John Spratt and Kenneth Holland)

GOTV in Ridgeville, South Carolina

January 17, 2008

GOTV in St. George, South Carolina

GOTV in Lincolnville, South Carolina (With Mike Espy and Richard Reilly)

GOTV in Folly Beach, South Carolina

GOTV in Moncks Corner, South Carolina

January 18, 2008

GOTV at Cypress Gardens, Moncks Corner, South Carolina

GOTV in Jamestown, South Carolina

GOTV in Andrews, South Carolina

January 19, 2008

GOTV in Lane, South Carolina

GOTV in Hemingway, South Carolina

Election Night Rally at Memorial Stadium, Clemson, South Carolina
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #623 on: November 08, 2014, 02:15:21 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2014, 07:52:00 PM by NewYorkExpress »

Hillary 2008; Schedule for Bill Clinton

January 16, 2008

GOTV in Virginia City, Nevada

GOTV in Paradise Valley, Nevada (With Harry Reid)

GOTV in Golconda, Nevada

Tour Potato Dehydration Plant, Winnemucca, Nevada (With Neil Goldschmidt, and James Blanchard)

January 17, 2008

GOTV in Yerington,  Nevada (With Bob Miller)

GOTV in Silver Springs, Nevada

GOTV in Fernley, Nevada (With Richard Bryan)

GOTV in Hawthorne, Nevada

January 18, 2008

Meet Voters in Bullhead City, Arizona

Speech/Rally at the Edgewater Hotel and Casino, Laughlin, Nevada (With Harry Reid and Gary Peters)

Back in 2006, Republicans passed something called the Unlawful Internet Gambling Act passed through Congress, and was signed by President Giuliani. Now, I know what all of you are thinking... Hillary voted aye! But look at how the Republican leadership packaged the bill, hiding it in a port security measure. Many Senators, Hillary included were not given the opportunity to read the bill, thanks to the rushing of the vote, and the hiding of the extras, and I'm not sure President Giuliani read the whole bill before lending his signature to this measure, which is unnecessary and unhelpful, when taxing and regulating these sites would make much more sense.

January 19, 2008

GOTV in Spring Valley, Nevada

GOTV in Enterprise, Nevada

Election Night Party/Rally at the Penn and Teller Theater, Rio All Suite Hotel and Casino, Las Vegas , Nevada (With all Nevada and West Coast surrogates)
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #624 on: November 08, 2014, 07:49:06 PM »

Bryan endorsed Sen. Bayh a long time ago.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies