2008 Presidential Election: Game Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:19:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008 Presidential Election: Game Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 34
Author Topic: 2008 Presidential Election: Game Thread  (Read 77635 times)
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2014, 10:40:59 AM »

I'll be playing as a Mark Sanford (Senator Spiral) surrogate Smiley
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2014, 11:28:45 AM »

I'll be playing as a Mark Sanford (Senator Spiral) surrogate Smiley
Ok.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2014, 11:53:25 AM »

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2014, 02:05:05 PM »

Iowa and South Carolina: The Heart and Soul of the Republican Nomination

Rudy Giuliani is the first incumbent President since Jimmy Carter to receive a serious primary challenge from within his own party. The men who would-be the nominee are Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich and South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford. Gingrich, the architect of the 1994 Republican Landslide that delivered the GOP control of both the House and the Senate has been a darling in conservative circles, especially after his showdowns with former President Bill Clinton. Gingrich, while a conservative icon of the 1990s in more recent years has been seen as a liability, given the fact he resigned from Congress, as well as battled ethic charges from within the House and by members of his own party who reprimanded the former speaker during his tenure.

For Evangelical Christian Conservatives, Gingrich's personal life is also seen as baggage. Having been married three times, including an adulterous affair with his current wife Callista Gingrich, while he was married to his second wife. However, in recent years Gingrich has tried to rebrand his image. He has authored multiple best-selling books and has been on the speaker circuit, as well on the stump for various Republican candidates over the years.

Gingrich brings to the field as certain level of gravitas, being the former speaker of the House, as well his responsibility for the successful Contract with America, where won big Congressional victories for the GOP. Some analysts believe conservatives may be able to look past Gingrich's shortcomings and unite behind him as a conservative who can win.

The Governor of South Carolina, Mark Sanford surprised many by throwing his hat into the ring by challenging Giuliani. Many considered Sanford a future Presidential contender and while conservatives groups have been fawning over him, it seemed unlikely to many that he would pass on a run, much like other South Carolina native Senator Jim DeMint and former New Hampshire Senator Bob Smith.

Unlike Gingrich, Sanford comes with little personal baggage, as well as an impressive resume, first as a Congressman in the House and now Governor. Being from South Carolina doesn't hurt him either and as a he travels to Iowa and the early primary states, he may be able to unite conservatives in a way that Gingrich cannot. Early polls still give Giuliani a slight advantage over the incumbent Governor, even in South Carolina, but with Sanford now officially in the race, those numbers are expected to change.

For Giuliani to be defeated for renomination and it is an uphill climb, given as the President sits on a 53 percent approval rating, nevertheless a challenger could be successful by avoiding a gaffe free campaign and managing to unite the conservative wing of the party, as well as other Republicans to vote for him.

The difficult part, most analysts and veteran Republicans see is party unity after what is likely to be a contentious primary. In recent years both President George H.W. Bush and President Jimmy Carter both faced primary challenges from within their own party and in the end it did more damage to the nominee and the party brand. Both Bush and Carter lost their reelections to Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan respectively.

They key for Giuliani, Sanford and Gingrich will be to keep the nomination fight from getting personal and for the party to unite at the end of the process, regardless of the nominee. One step, some pundits see as an option for Giuliani is naming a conservative pick for VP, now that Kay Bailey Hutchison has announced she will not seek a second term on the ticket.

Current polls give Giuliani a commanding lead, but with the first caucuses and primaries not until January, there is still time for either Gingrich or Sanford to catch lightning in a bottle. The success for either challenger rests on how well they do in the early states of Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

Republican Nomination Poll: 2008
Rudy Giuliani: 71%
Mark Sanford: 9%
Newt Gingrich: 7%
Undecided: 13%

Iowa Caucuses: Republicans (January 3, 2008)
Rudy Giuliani: 61%
Mark Sanford: 14%
Newt Gingrich: 12%
Undecided: 13%

New Hampshire Primary: Republicans (January 8, 2008)
Rudy Giuliani: 72%
Newt Gingrich 10%
Mark Sanford: 7%
Undecided: 11%

South Carolina Primary: Republicans (January 19, 2008)
Rudy Giuliani: 51%
Mark Sanford: 39%
Newt Gingrich: 2%
Undecided: 8%

Other Early Contests:

Wyoming Caucuses: Republicans (January 5, 2008)
Rudy Giuliani: 60%
Newt Gingrich: 13%
Mark Sanford: 12%
Undecided: 15%

Michigan Primary: Republicans (January 15, 2008)
Rudy Giuliani: 74%
Newt Gingrich: 9%
Mark Sanford: 8%
Undecided: 9%

Nevada Caucuses: Republicans (January 19, 2008)
Rudy Giuliani: 72%
Newt Gingrich: 10%
Mark Sanford: 9%
Undecided: 9%
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2014, 02:08:39 PM »

I'll go as Blomberg.  Lets have a nice independent run in here.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2014, 02:13:25 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2014, 09:00:31 AM by SJoyce »

John Edwards Press Conference, Seneca, South Carolina

Let me begin by saying thank you, to all of you who have traveled here today to hear what I have to say - thank you to my good friends Sam Nunn, Mark Warner, Chet Edwards, and Tim Kaine, and thank you to all y'all who are here. I get that it’s not exactly easy to get here, a little out-of-the-way town in upstate South Carolina. I’m here in Seneca, because Seneca is where people aren’t. Seneca is the town that’s ignored by the big city politicians. Seneca is the community whose voice isn’t heard in Washington. My friends, I'm here, and I'm listening. I'm listening to your concerns about the future of this country. You're fed up with this country as it is, because you know what it can be. You know that this country can be a great, united nation - you know that this country can be one America.

That's why I'm here today. But let me tell you how I came to end up here. As some of you know, this is my hometown. My family moved a lot, and I grew up up in Robbins, North Carolina, but this is the town where I was born. My dad worked in the textile mills, while my mom worked at the post office so we could have health care, and finished antiques on the roadside to help pay for my education. We didn't have a lot. Neither of my parents - nobody in my family before me - went to college. I didn't grow up expecting to get some Ivy League education, and it was remarkable that I, the son of a mill worker, even wound up going to college at all. I grew up with the men and women who worked with my father. Men and women who had lint in their hair, grease on their faces; men and women who worked hard and tried to put a little money away so their kids and their grand-kids could have a better life. They're just like the auto workers, the office workers, the teachers, and the small business owners here in Seneca and in small towns like this all across this country. I was blessed to be the first person in my family to go to college. I had to work my way through, and I've had a number of great opportunities in my life since.

The reason I'm here today is because I believe that all Americans, no matter where you live, no matter who your family is, no matter who you are, should have the exact same kind of opportunities that I had. That's the America I believe in. I've dedicated my life to fighting for people like the people here in Seneca. For two decades, I fought big insurance companies and HMOs to help out kids and families. When I got to the Senate, I fought those same fights against Washington lobbyists. I'm here to night ready to work with you to make America stronger. And that is why, here today in Seneca, a small town just like any other small town in America, that I stand before you today to announce my candidacy for President of the United States.

Tonight, we're celebrating here. But somewhere in America, a mother sits at the kitchen table. She can't sleep because she's worried she can't pay her bills. She's working hard, trying to pay the rent, trying to feed her kids, but it just doesn't add up for her. Her husband was called up in the Guard and has been in Iraq for over a year. They thought he was going to come home last month, but now he's got to stay longer. She thinks she's alone. I'm running for President to prove that she isn't. I'm running to let her know that I hear her. It's time to bring her opportunity, bring her an equal chance. It's time to have a strong America so she can get ahead. And it's time to make America respected in the world again, so that her husband can come home.

The message of this campaign is simple: hope is on the way. For the people who can't get ahead, who are spending their entire lives at the office: hope is on the way. For the people whose medicine's gone through the roof: hope is on the way. For the people who are working hard and want to go to college: hope is on the way. For the sons and daughters and husbands and wives serving this country heroically in Iraq: hope is on the way.

There will always be heartache and there will always be struggle, but America is a land of possibilities, a land of good and strong people. Tomorrow can be better than today, if we choose hope over despair, possibilities over problems, optimism over cynicism. This is a country that chooses to do what's right, that chooses to do better, because this is a country where everything is still possible.

I'm not running for President to look down on anybody, and I'm not running to tear anybody down. I believe in lifting people up. I believe in bringing people together. What I believe is that the family you're born into should never control your destiny in America. I'm here today to ask you to join me.

Let's make America stronger at home and more respected in the world. Let's ensure that once again, in America, tomorrow will always be better than today. Let's let people know: hope is on the way.

Thank you, God bless you, and God bless the United States of America.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2014, 02:14:07 PM »

Jerry we already have two third party candidates. If you want to, cool, it'll probably be fun, but personally I hope we have a crowded Dem primary.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2014, 02:21:01 PM »

Jerry we already have two third party candidates. If you want to, cool, it'll probably be fun, but personally I hope we have a crowded Dem primary.
I would run as a Democrat, but there's no one to run as that I like.  Anyways, it throws New York and the Entire Northeast into turmoil.  Just like how Jesse is doing with the West and Nadar in Safe democratic states.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2014, 02:23:36 PM »

I welcome the third partiers. It should make for a really interesting general election, since third parties in this timeline are already strong.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2014, 02:25:22 PM »

I would run as a Democrat, but there's no one to run as that I like.  Anyways, it throws New York and the Entire Northeast into turmoil.  Just like how Jesse is doing with the West and Nadar in Safe democratic states.

Fair enough, Bloomberg would be pretty competitive, and there seems to be more of a third party presence here anyway.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2014, 02:33:51 PM »

I'm for it. As has been noted, this TL shows a strong surge of third party candidates, so it's only fitting, plus it'll make for an interesting map.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2014, 03:14:15 PM »

I'll be running a Koch brothers-like network of outside spending organization.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2014, 03:34:05 PM »

Ok, great.

I will mention that Bloomberg did endorse Giuliani back in '04.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2014, 03:39:04 PM »

Ok, great.

I can say "Giuliani has not lived up to the principles that I thought he would uphold when I endorsed him in 2004.  He has broken promises made to the American People."
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2014, 03:43:06 PM »

Ok, great.

I can say "Giuliani has not lived up to the principles that I thought he would uphold when I endorsed him in 2004.  He has broken promises made to the American People."
That's fine, just wanted to put it out there for you.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2014, 03:43:53 PM »

Ok, great.

That's fine, just wanted to put it out there for you.

OK
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2014, 04:35:49 PM »

Kerry 2008

Boston, Massachusetts, Early 2007

(Slightly adapted version of the 2004 Kerry speech)

Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I have an announcement that many of you were expecting. I have decided to run for President in 2008.

This is no ordinary campaign because this is no ordinary time. We have lived through the most deadly attack on our people in American history, the greatest job loss since the Great Depression, and the greatest loss of wealth and savings ever recorded.  But every time our country has faced great challenges, we have come through --  and come out stronger --  because courageous Americans have done what’s right for America.

This is a time for the same kind of courage.

I learned something about service from two people I wish could be here today.  My father, who as a member of the Greatest Generation, enlisted in the Army Air Corps even before Pearl Harbor, and served in the State Department at the height of the Cold War.  And my mother, 50 years a Girl Scout leader, a community activist with a passion for the environment who took me into the woods as a young boy and simply said “listen.”

My wife Teresa reminds me of the ideals of America.  She is a naturalized citizen who came here from a dictatorship.  And she loves the freedom and optimism America has to offer. She is caring and strong, a leader on many causes, and she speaks the truth -- and I love her for that too.

Vanessa, Alex, and Christopher are here, and I thank them for taking time out of their lives.  For Teresa and me, all our children and now our first grandchild give us joy and pride everyday.

As I look around at my crewmates and the veterans here today, I am reminded that the best lessons I learned about being an American came in a place far away from America -- on a gunboat in the Mekong Delta with a small crew of volunteers.  Some of us had been to college; others were just out of high school.  But we grew up together on that tiny boat.  It was our sanctuary -- and a place for bridging distances between California and South Carolina, Iowa and Massachusetts.  We were no longer the kid from Arkansas or the kid from Illinois.  We were Americans -- together -- under the same flag -- giving ourselves to something bigger than each of us as individuals.

We arrived as strangers; we left as brothers. We didn’t think we were special.  We just tried to do what was right.

And when we came home, we had a simple saying: Every day is extra.  I used my extra days to join other veterans to end a war I believed was wrong.  I saw courage both in the Vietnam War and in the struggle to stop it.  I learned that patriotism includes protest, not just military service. But you don’t have to go half way around the world or march on Washington to learn about bravery or love of country. Again and again, in the causes that define our nation, we have seen the uncommon courage that is common to the American people.

Today, with confidence in the courage of our people to change what is wrong and do what is right, I come here to say why I am a candidate for President of the United States.

I believe the courage of Americans can change this country.

I believe the idealism of Americans can match our power to our principles – so that this nation will advance the best hopes of the world.

I believe the genius of Americans can make us energy independent.

The resolve of Americans can break the grip of special interests and bring back jobs and economic justice.

The vision of Americans can save our environment, raise up our schools, and finally open up health care to all.

The conscience of Americans can guard our fundamental liberties and preserve them for generations to come.

Your courage can make sure we do what’s right for our country.

Your courage can give America back its future, its strength and its soul.

I am honored to join you in this endeavor as a candidate for President of the United States.

Thank you and God bless you all.

Campaign Manager: Jim Jordan
Finance Director: Peter Maroney
Senior Policy Director: Sarah Bianchi
Communications Director: Stephanie Cutter
Director of Scheduling: Kaaren Hinck
Senior Strategist: Jill Alper
Senior Advisor: Michael Meehan

Kerry '08 HQ: 197 Portland Street, Boston, MA and 519 C Street NE, Washington, DC
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2014, 05:34:33 PM »

I decided I'm gonna skip out on this one. I just don't have the time, but I will be following this one, and Biden 2012 will be fun when the time comes.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2014, 06:01:57 PM »

Hillary Clinton 2008 Campaign Staff

Campaign Manager/Chief of Staff; Patti Solis Doyle

Finance; Howard Wolfson, Anthony Shorris, and Maggie Williams

Communications; James Carville and George Stephanopoulos (who took an extendend leave of absence from ABC News)

Fundraising; Chelsea Clinton, Doug Band and Bill Clinton

Legal; Cheryl Mills

Advisors- Economic Policyl Jeffrey Zients, Gene Sperling, Charlene Barshefsky and Larry Summers

Advisors- Domestic Policy; Carol Browner and Bill Clinton

Advisors- Foreign Policy; Sandy Berger, Ret General Hugh Shelton, Richard Clarke and George Tenet

Press Relations; Harold Ickes and Patti Solis Doyle

Operations- Early State; Mike Henry and Steve Hildebrand

Operations- Super Tuesday; Jim Messina and David Axelrod

Operations-Other; David Plouffe and Robert Gibbs

Polling; Geoff Garin, Patricia Ireland and James Carville
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2014, 07:41:57 PM »

Will run as a Democrat, Evan Bayh
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2014, 07:57:38 PM »

NEWT 2008

Good evening, fellow Americans. I'm sure you all know why I'm here, so let's get straight to the point. I have filed to run for President of the United States. I have thought long and hard about this decision. Eventually I came to the conclusion that America needed a conservative choice. That Republican voters and all American voters needed to be given the opportunity to vote for a real conservative candidate. President Giuliani has proven that he is a faux conservative, who doesn't stand up for the principles that our party has been built on. Tonight, I offer myself as that choice.

Deciding to run for the presidency is something I have not taken lightly. But I have realised the time has come for a candidate who will stand up for the ideals that matter to so many of us, fiscal responsibility, the sanctity of life, the integrity of our borders, our right to bear arms.  The list goes on.

We stand at a crossroads in America. The two paths are clear to me. One leads us down a road of division, of terrorism, of financial instability and ruin. The other leads us down a road of prosperity. I know which road I want to take and I'm sure that you all want the same. Following the vision of Ronald Reagan and others, the United States can become a better place for all. I remember back to 1994, when I was a lowly Minority Whip. Working on the Contract with America, I felt it had the chance to do some good for the country. It's been 13 years and now I feel the time has come for a new contract, one that suits the needs of 21st Century America.

As I campaign across the country, I will present a platform based on true conservative ideals, the ones that have helped make our country so great. Thank you.

Campaign Team
Campaign Manager/Chief of Staff: Vince Haley

Finance Director: Carl Forti

Senior Policy Director: Alex Castellanos

Communications Director: Joe DeSantis

Director of Scheduling: Nick Ayers

Senior Strategist: Stuart Stevens

Press Secretary: RC Hammond

Senior Advisor: Ken Mehlman
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2014, 08:04:48 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Her campaign's internal polling shows her leading in Louisiana by a significant amount:

Mary Landrieu: 40%
Blanche Lincoln: 17%
John Edwards: 15%
Hillary Clinton: 14%
Evan Bayh: 9%
John Kerry: 5%[/quote]

Mary Landrieu Campaign

Slogan: TBD
Campaign Manager: Norma Jane Sabiston
Financial Director: Julianna Smoot
Senior Policy Director: Elizabeth Leoty Craddock
Communications Director: Bill Burton
Director of Scheduling: Marianna Knister
Senior Strategist: Jennifer O'Malley Dillon
Senior Advisor: Valerie Jarrett
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2014, 10:55:28 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2014, 11:10:06 PM by RGN08 »

REMINDER:Some wrong grammar.

Bayh 2008

Abbreviated speech of Sen. Evan Bayh

Senator Bayh with his family, announcing his candidacy

APRIL 6, 2007- Sen. Evan Bayh of Indiana, announced his candidacy for the President of the United States. Although joining very lately than the other candidates, amid a crowded Democratic field. An abbreviated version of his announcement can be seen below.

President Rudy Giuliani, right now, is winning the mandate of Americans, according to the polls. However, unemployment is still high, there is still millions of Americans with no jobs. Millions, without health care and still more issues not given importance by our President. What we are seeing now is not yet the final mandate of the people, the day is still young. We can still change it and lead America to the right path. I know the state of Indiana believes in me, in my 22 years of public service, they never let me down. And now, without further ado, I announce my candidacy for the President of the United States. We need a ‘’people’s president’’ and I know that I can be the guiding light of the American people.And that’s it, may God bless the United States of America. Thank you.

Campaign Manager/Chief of Staff:Dan Parker/Tom Sugar
Communications Strategists: Daniel Pfeiffer & Robert Gibbs
Fundraising Directors: Linda Moore Forbes, Kory Mitchell & Nancy Jacobson
Legal Director: Thurgood Marshall, Jr.
Policy Advisers: Martin Neil Baily (Economy) Gary Hart & Janet Napolitano(Domestic) Walter Mondale & Birch Bayh (Foreign)
Press Directors: Robert Gibbs and Joe Lockhart
State Directors: Chris Hayler & Sean Downey
Media Consultant: Alita Dunn & David Holtzman
Statistical Directors: Paul Maslin/Nancy Jacobson
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2014, 02:39:10 AM »

Hillary Clinton 2008 Campaign Staff

Campaign Manager/Chief of Staff; Patti Solis Doyle

Finance; Howard Wolfson, Anthony Shorris, and Maggie Williams

Communications; James Carville and George Stephanopoulos (who took an extendend leave of absence from ABC News)

Fundraising; Chelsea Clinton, Doug Band and Bill Clinton

Legal; Cheryl Mills

Advisors- Economic Policyl Jeffrey Zients, Gene Sperling, Charlene Barshefsky and Larry Summers

Advisors- Domestic Policy; Carol Browner and Bill Clinton

Advisors- Foreign Policy; Sandy Berger, Ret General Hugh Shelton, Richard Clarke and George Tenet

Press Relations; Harold Ickes and Patti Solis Doyle

Operations- Early State; Mike Henry and Steve Hildebrand

Operations- Super Tuesday; Jim Messina and David Axelrod

Operations-Other; David Plouffe and Robert Gibbs

Polling; Geoff Garin, Patricia Ireland and James Carville

I think you should replace George Stephanopoulos with someone, because, you know, he's the Chief Political Correspondent of ABC News and I bet ABC will not allow him since that it may spark some liberal bias.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2014, 09:58:33 AM »
« Edited: September 05, 2014, 07:17:56 PM by DKrolGa »

President Giuliani's 2008 Campaign Staff
Honorary Co-Chairmen: Dick Cheney and Tim Pawlenty
Campaign Manager: Mary Matalin
Chief of Staff: Joe Allbaugh
Press Secretary: Dana Perino
Finance Director: Fred Malek
Chief Pollsters: Neil Newhouse and Bill McInturff
Co-Directors of the Vice Presidential Search Committee: Kay Hutchison, Beth Myers, and Matt Rhodes

Legal Advisers: Theodore Olson and Robert Bork
Domestic Policy Advisers: Lanhee Chen, Kevin McCarthy, Luis Fortuno, and Joe Scarborough
Foreign Policy Advisers: Peter King, Oliver North, Allen West, Michael Chertoff, John Bolton, and Colin Powell
Economic Policy Advisers: Jim Talent, Donald Trump, Carl Paladino, Sean O'Keefe, and Meg Whitman
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies