2008 Presidential Election: Game Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:02:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008 Presidential Election: Game Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 34
Author Topic: 2008 Presidential Election: Game Thread  (Read 77700 times)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: September 21, 2014, 07:54:29 PM »

I was going to post my "During the break" schedule after the new round opens.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #301 on: September 21, 2014, 08:01:21 PM »

I'll hold off until 11:59 pm EST tonight, in case there are any last minute postings.

Please push it back to tomorrow. PLEASE.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #302 on: September 21, 2014, 08:04:07 PM »

I'll hold off until 11:59 pm EST tonight, in case there are any last minute postings.

We already pushed it back once.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #303 on: September 21, 2014, 08:10:10 PM »

But basically nobody is ready, and I have a geology exam I need to be studying for, so yeah, another day, please.

Unless we can just post the rest of our "8 Week" schedule later, then I'm down with it ending tonight, because that's all i really need done.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #304 on: September 21, 2014, 08:34:36 PM »

But basically nobody is ready, and I have a geology exam I need to be studying for, so yeah, another day, please.

Unless we can just post the rest of our "8 Week" schedule later, then I'm down with it ending tonight, because that's all i really need done.

I'm ok with posting the 8 week schedule later this week.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #305 on: September 21, 2014, 10:07:15 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2014, 11:55:37 PM by badgate »

OOC: Thanks for the extension, and sorry to Dkrol that I also need more time Tongue
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #306 on: September 21, 2014, 11:03:29 PM »

Okay, I took a badly needed nap and I underestimated how much time I was out. NHI, could you do the update in the morning? It will take just another hour or two to pump everything out.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #307 on: September 21, 2014, 11:14:30 PM »

^OOC: He's rarely online this late, so my guess is he's planning to post it in the morning already.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #308 on: September 21, 2014, 11:16:59 PM »

That's true. I don't think he would mind anyway, so I'll just get everything done before I go to bed tonight.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #309 on: September 21, 2014, 11:41:18 PM »

Mary Landrieu drops out and Endorses Blanche Lincoln
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #310 on: September 21, 2014, 11:42:38 PM »

OOC:
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #311 on: September 22, 2014, 12:11:05 AM »
« Edited: September 22, 2014, 12:58:22 AM by Spiral »

Mark Sanford Campaign Schedule: September 22-30

Some would say that the President is unstoppable, and that his campaign strategy is leaving him strong against his competitors. I disagree. While he may be going on the offense now, there are plenty of Republican voters I talk to who say that their concerns are still there with President Giuliani, and I don't blame them. Folks, we don't have to stick with the President if we don't want to. Iowa is closer than we think, and that will be our first big test. Our campaign has only been surging here, and soon enough, we'll be right up there with the President and poised for a victory. And we won't just win Iowa, either: the nomination will be ours! We can do this together, my friends, so let's make this count!

September 22
-Bus Tour in Marion, IA
-Bus Tour in Dubuque, IA
-Bus Tour in West Des Moines, IA
-Rally and Fundraiser in Waterloo, IA
-Rally and Fundraiser in Cedar Rapids, IA

September 23
-Town Hall in Indianola, IA
-Town Hall in Altoona, IA
-Town Hall in Grimes, IA
-Town Hall in Perry, IA
-Town Hall in Le Mars, IA

It's clear that we can do more to help out business and grow our economy. We still have too many burdensome regulations in place, and while politicians in Washington may mean well when they add them, the outcomes are obvious. They especially hurt small businesses, who run a tight schedule and don't have much to spare. I've talked with many small business owners as Governor and during this campaign who have told me, "You know, the economy has been doing okay, but times are still tough over here." We must cut taxes and eliminate the red tape that businesses face, and I guarantee you that we'll have a stronger and more vibrant economy because of it. This is what I've tried to do in South Carolina, and now I'm ready to take it to the next step and work from the White House.

September 24
-Meet and Greet in De Witt, IA
-Meet and Greet in Vinton, IA
-Bus Tour in Fort Dodge, IA
-Bus Tour in Mason City, IA
-Bus Tour in Bettendorf, IA

September 25
-Rally and Fundraiser in Sumter, SC
-Rally and Fundraiser in Spartanburg, SC
-Rally and Fundraiser in Greenville, SC
-Rally and Fundraiser in Charleston, SC
-Rally and Fundraiser in Columbia, SC

September 26
-Gubernatorial duties

September 27
-Gubernatorial duties

September 28
-Strategy meeting with campaign advisors in Charleston, SC

September 29
-Town Hall in Kingston, NH
-Town Hall in Newport, NH
-Town Hall in Gilford, NH
-Town Hall in Hollis, NH
-Town Hall in Pembroke, NH

Y'all, there's something wrong here. The President and his team are spending millions of dollars attacking me through the airwaves, calling me incompetent and ineffective at governing, and yet the President himself refuses to share the same stage as me and say all of this to my face? I don't know about you, but that doesn't sit well for me. I've said it before and I'll say it again: if President Giuliani really wants to earn the trust of Republicans again and cruise to this nomination like he wants, then he ought to first prove himself by debating Speaker Gingrich and I. The voters will make their decision once it comes time to vote, but it's important that we as Republicans actually debate the issues to each other first so that they know what kind of candidate they're looking for.

September 30
-Town Hall in Cold Springs, NV
-Town Hall in Dayton, NV
-Town Hall in Boulder City, NV
-Rally and Fundraiser in Paradise, NV
-Rally and Fundraiser in Reno, NV

TV/Radio Ads

The following ads have been created by the Sanford campaign in past weeks and are being given more airtime:

"This campaign isn't about me, President Giuliani, or any of the candidates running. It's about you. While we've had successes in some aspects, we're far from being a perfect nation. Many out there are still concerned about keeping their jobs, or about their children's future. There's a long way to go, but I believe in the values that have made this country great from the beginning: freedom, liberty, and justice for all. That's what I'm running on, and I hope you join me in this campaign. I'm Mark Sanford, and I approve this message because it's time to bring leadership to the White House next year."

"Hi, I'm Governor Mark Sanford. Many people in Washington talk about making changes, but I've actually done something about it. I've cut spending, reduced debt, and made government more accountable. My state of South Carolina has only prospered in the last few years under those principles. I have a vision for this great country: one where jobs are plentiful, schools meet up to standards, and you and your family can rest easy. Sometimes it's necessary to shake up things to get better results. This election is one of those moments. I approve this message because it's time that Washington works for you again."

Surrogate Schedules

Jim DeMint: Rallies and Fundraisers in South Carolina
Steve Merill: Fundraisers in New Hampshire
Bob Vander Plaats: Rallies and Fundraisers in Iowa
Joe Arpaio: Rallies and Fundraisers in Iowa
Joe Scarborough: Fundraisers in New Hampshire and Florida

FreedomWorks: Ad buys in early primary states
Americans for Prosperity: Ad buys in early primary states
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #312 on: September 22, 2014, 12:29:32 AM »

Newt Gingrich has decided to drop out of the campaign. He endorses Mark Sanford for President.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #313 on: September 22, 2014, 12:36:47 AM »

Mark Sanford Press Release

I thank Speaker Gingrich for his endorsement. Together, we will work to uphold conservative values and win the Republican primary, followed by a victory next November to the White House.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #314 on: September 22, 2014, 05:55:52 AM »
« Edited: September 22, 2014, 02:03:31 PM by NHI »

Round 5: November 25-December 1, 2007

Lincoln, Bayh & Dean: The Contenders in Iowa

Evan Bayh and Howard Dean -- the two dark horses for the Democratic nomination appear now to be the men to beat, with the Iowa Caucuses looking to be a major test in the long term viability of both candidates. Dean, who won the endorsement of Tom Vilsack is still holding onto his lead in the caucuses, with a little more than month to go before the big vote. In New Hampshire, Dean continues to lead, though John Kerry is running second and holding strong in the primary state. Expect believe New Hampshire will come down to a coin toss between Dean and Kerry, with Iowa taking a large role than expected.

Evan Bayh is continuing to build on his momentum, with a new line of endorsement and TV ads in the critical first state. Bayh is now polling second in the state and is playing hard to topple Dean, who has spent a great deal of time and money in the state. The upcoming debate will be one of his last chances to sway Iowa voters.

Former Vice Presidential nominee and Arkansas Senator Blanche Lincoln is polling third in Iowa and should not be counted out. She is playing hard in the primary state and believes a win there will launch her on the path to the nomination. The upcoming debates will be crucial to her success. She is polling third in Iowa a state many believe is where he hopes depend. For her  growing tightness between Dean and Bayh may help her squeak by. She has also earned the endorsement of fellow Senator and now former candidate Mary Landrieu. With Landrieu's departure Lincoln is the sole southern candidate in the race and has amassed some big leagues in South Carolin and Florida, and is running strong and second in some states as well.

John Kerry is focusing on New Hampshire, as is Hillary Clinton. Clinton remains a fighter in this race, tied for second in New Hampshire with John Kerry and fighting hard against Howard Dean, with the hopes of displacing him in the state. Clinton is also making a push for Iowa and looking beyond the two early states, visiting Florida and building a campaign structure there.

Mary Landrieu looks to be a factor in South Carolina, but has yet to catch fire, like her rivals Bayh and Dean. Like with Bayh the debates are going to be critical to her success or failure in the caucus state. Her and Lincoln are tied for first in the South Carolina primary, and in Florida Lincoln leads her by three.

In terms of the Republican Primary, President Giuliani continues to lead Governor Mark Sanford, though Sanford has seen his numbers climb in both Iowa and South Carolina, but most pundits believe he still faces an uphill battle against the President. Sanford did receive the endorsement of Newt Gingrich, who ended his bid for President. Now that it is truly a two-man race, pundits will wait to see if the numbers start to move.

In terms of the third party candidates, Ralph Nader, the likely Green Party candidate continues to build up his campaign infrastructure, by running campaign ads in critical swing states and building on the foundation laid by Dennis Kucinich in 2004. Early polling for November, even with the additional candidates in the race still puts Giuliani ahead, albeit with a narrow lead.

In the final weeks before the primaries and caucuses, two debates remain. A Democratic and Republican forum. All Democratic candidates are expected to appear, while on the GOP side, President Giuliani is likely not to participate, though it is fully expected Governor Sanford will appear in some fashion. The first in Iowa, taking place on December 1st in Ames, Iowa. The second in late December at St. Anselm's College in Manchester, NH.

Democratic Primary Preference Poll: November 2004
Howard Dean: 19%
Evan Bayh: 17%
Blanche Lincoln: 17%
Hillary Clinton: 15%
John Kerry: 13%
Undecided: 19%

Republican Primary Preference Poll: November 2004
Rudy Giuliani: 61%
Mark Sanford: 27%
Undecided: 12%

Iowa Democratic Caucuses Preference Poll: November 2007
Howard Dean: 22%
Evan Bayh: 19%
Blanche Lincoln: 19%
Hillary Clinton: 16%
Undecided: 11%

Iowa Republican Caucuses Preference Poll: November 2007
Rudy Giuliani: 59%
Mark Sanford: 32%
Undecided: 9%

New Hampshire Democratic Primary Preference Poll: November 2007
Howard Dean: 20%
John Kerry: 18%
Hillary Clinton: 18%
Blanche Lincoln: 17%
Undecided:  10%

New Hampshire Republican Primary Preference Poll: November 2007
Rudy Giuliani: 65%
Mark Sanford: 27%
Undecided: 8%

Nevada Democratic Caucuses Preference Poll: November 2007
Howard Dean: 19%
Evan Bayh: 19%
Blanche Lincoln: 18%
Hillary Clinton: 16%
Undecided: 15%

Nevada Republican Caucuses Preference Poll: November 2007
Rudy Giuliani: 67%
Mark Sanford: 25%
Undecided: 8%

South Carolina Democratic Primary Preference Poll: November 2007
Blanche Lincoln: 27%
Hillary Clinton: 17%
Howard Dean: 15%

South Carolina Republican Primary Preference Poll: November 2007
Rudy Giuliani: 50%
Mark Sanford: 43%
Undecided: 7%

Michigan Democratic Primary Poll: Preference Poll: November 2007
Evan Bayh: 21%
Howard Dean: 18%
Blanche Lincoln: 18%
Hillary Clinton: 15%
John Kerry: 12%
Undecided: 16%

Michigan Republican Primary Poll: November 2007
Rudy Giuliani: 69%
Mark Sanford: 26%
Undecided: 5%

Florida Democratic Primary Preference Poll: November 2007
Blanche Lincoln: 26%
Hillary Clinton: 17%
Howard Dean: 15%
Evan Bayh: 15%
John Kerry: 14%
Undecided: 13%

Florida Republican Primary Preference Poll: November 2007
Rudy Giuliani: 58%
Mark Sanford: 30%

Democratic Primary: Debate
Live from Ames, Iowa

To All the Candidates: Each of you is running on a platform of universal healthcare in some form, specifically what will your plan entail, and assuming Republicans retain control of Congress, how will you work with them to pass the legislation?

To Hillary Clinton: Senator Clinton, Some Democrats are worrying over you ability to unite the party, given some recent polling indicates you losing ground to President Giuliani. One Democrat, who went off record said, "She's the least unelectable candidate in the field. If we nominate Hillary, we lose." How can you put at ease the concerns of many Democrats?

To Blanche Lincoln: Senator Lincoln, many democrats are calling for change in November, President Giuliani and even some of your rivals are calling on experience. What is important in this election? Change or experience?

To Evan Bayh: Senator, we've been living under No Child Left Behind for nearly eight years. Is it a success and if not how should the government be dealing with education?

To John Kerry: Senator Kerry, what distinguishes you from your fellow rivals?

To Howard Dean: Governor Dean, you've said on the stump that President Giuliani and I'm quoting here, 'has an addiction and that addiction is oil', how do you propose making America energy independent?

To All the Candidates: Should the Patriot Act be renewed?

To All the Candidates: First major action you'll take as President on Day one?

Closing Remarks:

Republican Forum:
Ames, Iowa

Topics:
Healthcare, War in Iraq/Afghanistan, the economy.

Governor Sanford, may comment on all matters.

This Round will close on Friday at 11:59 pm EST
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #315 on: September 22, 2014, 07:09:40 AM »

Landrieu endorsed Lincoln, so I'm guessing now it'll be Lincoln-mentum.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #316 on: September 22, 2014, 08:03:17 AM »

Landrieu endorsed Lincoln, so I'm guessing now it'll be Lincoln-mentum.
I missed that, I'll amend the post.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #317 on: September 22, 2014, 10:43:01 AM »

Ralph Nader - October and November 2007

October 2007:
Ralph Nader was touring the bases of support for the Green Party. Visiting California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii, Colorado, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont and Maine; he met with voters, talked before students; campaigned with endorsers and surrogates; and met with local Green Party affiliates. Ralph Nader's first ad continued to be aired.

November 2007:
In November 2007, Ralph Nader visited among others states that had been neglected by his campaign in the two months before, especially in the South and the West. He focused the first week around the nation's capital, visiting Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia and the District of Columbia; spend the second week in many Southern states, from Florida to New Mexico; and had his third week's base in the Mountain states - Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, Wyoming, South Dakota, Montana and Idaho. He again communicated with voters and students; continued to build up his network of supporters, also in states he did not visit in November; and helped cooridnate the build up of the Green Party, especially with the help of the five Green Party members of congress, that were proud to found their Green Congress Caucus, with Dennis Kucinich as House Chairman and Russ Feingold as Senate Chairman.

Green Party of the United States - Fall 2007:

The Green Party of the United States coninued to build up their network and party organization, to become a true viable alternative for progressive Americans also outside Presidential Elections. The party's largest event in October and November 2007 was the founding of the Green Congress Caucus, the Green Party organization within the Congress, on October 23rd. The following Congressmen and -women, members of the Green Party, make up the caucus as of November 2007:

Senate:
Russ Feingold (WI)
Bernie Sanders (VT)

House:
Dennis Kucinich (OH-10)
Tammy Baldwin (WI-2)
Barbara Lee (CA-9)

Those five members of congress continue to caucus with the Democratic Party for committee assignment purposes.

In the November 2007 elections, the Green Party of the United States filed the following candidates:

- Lousiana Governor: Malik Rahim
- Kentucky Governor: no filed candidate, endorsed Steve Beshear
- San Francisco Mayor: Matt Gonzalez
- Philadelphia Mayor: Cheri Honkala

The Green Party filed various candidates for legislature elections in Virginia, New Jersey, Louisiana, Mississippi and the Northern Mariana Islands.

(OOC: That's probably a lot, but could you give election results for some of the 2007 elections, NHI? It would probably help give the game a very realistic touch. I can understand if you say no, though.)
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #318 on: September 22, 2014, 12:56:53 PM »

OOC: Lincoln doesn't have an individual debate question, but Landrieu does.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #319 on: September 22, 2014, 01:21:46 PM »

Howard Dean Debate Performance

You must be logged in to read this quote.

"We all on this stage say we want Universal Healthcare, but only one candidate on this stage has the record of accomplishment and the independence to back that up. In Vermont, we put through Dr. Dynosaur, which gave universal coverage for children and pregnant women, and made Vermont one of the lowest uninsured rates in the country. My plan for the United States is very simple - Medicare for all. Drop the Medicare requirement age down to zero, and give everyone that coverage through that. Not only is it Universal, but it saves every single American family money, since Medicare spends its dollars far more effectively than the health insurance industry. If Republicans retain control of congress, I would work with them on cost reduction and tort law, but beyond that, I think from a fiscal standpoint, my bill gives the least giveaways to big corporations, and realistic conservatives who believe in their ideology over party should embrace this cost-effective reform of healthcare."

"President Giuliani has surprised some of us with his energy policy, and I praise him for that, but there's no doubt in my mind that he is still addicted to the oil industry money that funds his campaign. My proposal is this simple: we increase subsidies for Alternative energy, create tax incentives for alternative energy companies, require strict carbon emission levels on our fuel, and explore the possibility of nuclear power. I, like every Democrat on this stage, am skeptical about Nuclear power, but if we can, with future technology, make it safer, then I think that will be a far less toxic way of becoming energy independent than just drilling everywhere like the Republican Party wants to do. Being green and being energy independent is not mutually exclusive my friend."

"Not on my watch. If the Patriot Act repeal reaches my desk, no matter how many votes it gets in Congress, I will veto it. American freedom has been torn apart by the policies of the last two Presidents and I say enough. We need to go back to our roots and embrace the right to privacy, the bill of rights, and I can't stress enough how backward that piece of legislation is. Along with that, I'll go a step further, I will examine the legislative docket, and go to congress and demand a repeal of all laws that violate our very basic right to privacy and so we as a nation are free."

"On my first day as President I will issue an executive order closing down Guantanamo Bay. Under my watch, the United States does not torture. It is criminal that the George W. Bush and Rudy Giuliani administrations have allowed such atrocities to not only occur, but to be approved by the President. I think that alone disqualifies him from being President. I will close down Guantanamo Bay, put these men through a fair trial, and release the ones that have already been acquitted but not released as so many of those stories have told us. The longer Guantanamo Bay is open, the closer the United States gets to the ideas of our enemies, the unsympathetic, take no prisoners attitude, and I won't stand by it."

Closing Remarks

"In this Democratic primary you have a choice. A lot of these people are good people, men and women who have served in the United States Senate or have served as Governor, or heck, even both. But most of the candidates on this stage have one thing in common, they are beholden. Their campaign backers are big companies, the pharmaceutical lobby, the health insurance lobby, all lobbies that hold back this country from doing great things. I am not one of those candidates. My campaign is funded by the people, not special interests, and I will fight for every single American in order to get done all those things we've talked about: campaign finance reform, universal healthcare, a higher minimum wage, a foreign policy based on humanity rather than money, and an energy independent America not reliant on foreign oil. I believe in change, because I believe in the intelligence of the American public, and together, we can do it."
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #320 on: September 22, 2014, 02:04:51 PM »

OOC: Lincoln doesn't have an individual debate question, but Landrieu does.
In amending the post, I mistakenly deleted Lincoln's question instead of Landrieu's.
All fixed.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #321 on: September 22, 2014, 02:40:07 PM »

Where Has Hillary Been the last two months?

October 1-14, 2007

Senator Clinton spent these two weeks in the non-New York Northeast states. Notable stops, included Manchester, Hampshire, Boston, Massachussets, and Portland, Maine

October 14-21, 2007

Senator Clinton spent this week on Constituent Service in New York.

October 21- November 4, 2007

Senator Clinton split this period between, Iowa and South Carolina

November 5-November 24, 2007

Senator Clinton spent this time period between South Carolina, Nevada and New Hampshire
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #322 on: September 22, 2014, 04:37:23 PM »

Giuliani Gap Schedule

President Giuliani spent most the time doing much of the same - being President. He spend most of the time in Washington, D.C. and Virginia, although he did make trips to Iowa, South Carolina, and New Hampshire. He made one special trip to Massachusetts to speak at Boston Latin School. He appeared on ABC's "This Week" in October to discuss the American strategy in Iraq and Afghanistan. 
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #323 on: September 23, 2014, 05:28:16 AM »

Heavy workload, who can do the schedule, endorsements (your pick),endorsers' schedule? Of course I will still do the 8-week schedule and the debate responses
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #324 on: September 23, 2014, 10:40:08 AM »

General Election Polls:

Rudy Giuliani: 51% (+7)
Hillary Clinton: 44%

Rudy Giuliani: 51% (+6)
Blanche Lincoln: 45%

Rudy Giuliani: 52% (+8)
Evan Bahy: 44%

Rudy Giuliani: 52% (+9)