August 2014 Napa Valley Earthquake Relief for the Pacific Act (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:26:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  August 2014 Napa Valley Earthquake Relief for the Pacific Act (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: August 2014 Napa Valley Earthquake Relief for the Pacific Act (Debating)  (Read 4486 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2014, 10:07:13 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Senator Cranberry

You have 24 hours to begin advocacy for this bill, Senator.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 12:34:26 AM »

I appreciate Senator Cranberry's faith in me to distribute funds, but I'll be honest and say that I'm already planning to give funds to the Pacific for disaster relief. I'm sure FEMA has some money on hand for crises exactly like this one, so I was just going to kind of release a bit of money unilaterally. Tongue

By all means, vote on this bill, but the region will likely get money regardless.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 12:53:49 AM »

That being said, I'd be interested in hearing what people think would be a sufficient amount.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 03:51:32 AM »

Thank you for bringing this bill on the floor, Mr President Pro Tempore

Firstly, I see no conflict between the aims of the bill and Hagrid's intentions. If anything, the bill just reinforces and confirms Hagrid's intention, and gives it the affirmation of the Senate, if passed that is.

Secondly, is there are need for this bill? Well, there is. Maybe I am biased here, as Regional Senator for the Pacific I am foremost bound to the people of the Pacific. Yet I would support similar measures if the earthquake would have occurred in other regions, so I urge for my fellow senators to not see this as "another handout for the Pacific" but as relief for a plagued area. (Though I guess Lumine would be on my side supporting it also if not for the latter Tongue)
That being said, I shall come back to the bill itself. Essentially building up the same mechanism as with the homelessness act, it enables the Pacific Region to propose a plan on what the sum we provide is used for, which in turn is either approved or vetoed by the SoIA.
According to a few sources (here or here), the earthquake would have caused damages up to $4 billions, $1 billions alone for the plagued wine industry in Napa Valley. I therefore propose the sum of no less than $2.5 billions for relief for the Pacific Region.

Thank you for your attention.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 04:11:12 AM »

I'm firmly in support of this bill.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 04:30:26 AM »

Senator Cranberry, I've seen the damage estimates, but I was under the impression that those numbers represented a grand total and that, in many cases, private insurance will cover the damage. Handing over $2.5 billion is significant. To be honest, I was thinking something more in the range of the hundreds of millions.

In real life, I don't think FEMA is actually providing funds at all. Just something to consider.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 07:00:31 AM »

2.5 billion is excessive to say the least. A figure in the hundreds of millions would be a more reasonable starting point I would think, certainly for an earthquake.

And yes I do want to take care of the winemakers.

I'll look into what the federal government actually does in RL in these situations - I think it depends upon how extensive the damage is, and it's different from say a hurricane.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 08:11:52 AM »

I never thought that you would accept 2.5 billions, I just thought let's a number from which we can work... I see your reasons, for e g 500-700 millions, and I do also think that that's about the most reasonable thing we can do.
So what with $600 Millions?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 10:14:13 AM »
« Edited: August 30, 2014, 10:16:07 AM by Governor Varavour »

The problem is most people in the region- only one in eight, if I recall- have earthquake insurance. Compounded with the general economic climate, this means costs will be very high; I recall reading only $2 billion would be covered by insurers.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 12:58:40 PM »

That for one is a real problem.
Maybe we could ask the SoIA for a damage estimation, and how much is covered with existing insurances?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 01:00:47 PM »

That sounds sensible. Also, I would like to thank the Senator for introducing this legislation on behalf of his constituents. The winemakers of Napa are critical to our region's economy, with their global exports worth billions, and their fine wines integral to many fine diets and menus.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 01:02:27 PM »

It is only natural that such a bill would come from the representative of the great People's Region in the Senate.
And indeed, the blows to the wine industry are indeed very sincere and sad for our region, if not the whole world.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 03:11:25 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2014, 03:15:30 PM by DemPGH, President »

Napa county officials placed total damages (buildings, infrastructure, economic) at around 360 million dollars, so the 500 million range would be a good starting point because I don't know how extensive it all is. I know Napa County got hit hard. We could develop priorities, and people without earthquake insurance should indeed get help. Wine and agriculture suffered about 48 million in damage. Just FYI.

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/08/28/6662469/napa-officials-estimate-earthquake.html
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 02:22:59 AM »

This is just for Napa County, though, not the whole area. I bet Marin County, Somoma County, Mendocino County, Lake County and as far as Sacramento or Santa Clara Counties have suffered (nearly equally) under the quake. I would say, let's get the SoIA on Smiley
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 12:44:32 PM »

I certainly support (and commend) this piece of legislation as well, and as the Senator pointed out I don't think this is just a handout, it's crucial that we help the Pacific Region after this horrible disaster. I would support $500 million to $1 Billion in funding (considering the amounts discussed before).

This is just for Napa County, though, not the whole area. I bet Marin County, Somoma County, Mendocino County, Lake County and as far as Sacramento or Santa Clara Counties have suffered (nearly equally) under the quake. I would say, let's get the SoIA on Smiley

I have a bit of a doubt, Cranberry, if this bill only concerns the Napa County according to your interpretation, wouldn't it be a better idea to cover the entire region?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 12:47:04 PM »

As far as I know Santa Clara County experienced no damage whatsoever.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 12:53:56 PM »

I have a bit of a doubt, Cranberry, if this bill only concerns the Napa County according to your interpretation, wouldn't it be a better idea to cover the entire region?
[/quote]
No, not the bill is just for Napa County, but DemPGH's damage numbers were just for Napa County. I guess I expressed myself a bit misleading there Wink

Great for Santa Clara County, but my point was that not just Napa County was hit, but the counties in its surroundings also.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 04:37:37 PM »

So if Santa Clara was not, which ones all were then?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 01:43:49 AM »

Wiki says Napa, Sonoma and Solano counties. But I think that this does not matter as we never specify which counties shall get the funds, and we will have to wait for a SoIA/GM report if I'm right.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 05:26:10 PM »

So pending a response from the SoIA our next move should be to remove the language limiting this to just Napa?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 01:45:25 AM »

Oh yes, we could do that Tongue
The official name is I guess "South Napa Earthquake", so here we go:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 03:10:12 AM »

For the record, I do echo most of the statements. We should be a little conscientious of what insurers are already covering. Perhaps we could structure this in an active claimant/reimbursement manner in certain places (damage to public property doesn't necessarily have to be included in that, as funds for that can and should just be earmarked).

And I see there's very reasonable concern that the wine economy is getting tanked? Are we talking about using public funds to reimburse winery owners, or zero interest loans so they can get back on their feet, or some sort of wine "subsidy" for the area, or something else? I do support the cause of protecting a large portion of the economy, but I'm wondering how precisely it's going to be done. 

My beauty sleep was interrupted.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 02:43:12 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to Cranberry's proposed amendment.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2014, 11:13:39 AM »

I would say, leave the way of how to distribute the funds to the Pacific Regional Government, as it's outlined in this bill. Simfan surely comes up with a good plan, and Hagrid is entitled to refuse their plan shouldn't it be good. Agree with that?

My beauty sleep was interrupted.

A truly horrible damage to Atlasia! Tongue
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2014, 07:00:39 PM »

The amendment has been adopted.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies