August 2014 Napa Valley Earthquake Relief for the Pacific Act (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:15:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  August 2014 Napa Valley Earthquake Relief for the Pacific Act (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: August 2014 Napa Valley Earthquake Relief for the Pacific Act (Debating)  (Read 4477 times)
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2014, 03:17:43 AM »

I would say, leave the way of how to distribute the funds to the Pacific Regional Government, as it's outlined in this bill. Simfan surely comes up with a good plan, and Hagrid is entitled to refuse their plan shouldn't it be good. Agree with that?

This is just for Napa County, though, not the whole area. I bet Marin County, Somoma County, Mendocino County, Lake County and as far as Sacramento or Santa Clara Counties have suffered (nearly equally) under the quake. I would say, let's get the SoIA on Smiley

As far as I know Santa Clara County experienced no damage whatsoever.

My beauty sleep was interrupted.

A truly horrible damage to Atlasia! Tongue

Yeah, I suppose I am fine with that. I prefer not to leave certain things to chance, but there are only so many hours in the day.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 06:59:45 AM »

I would say, leave the way of how to distribute the funds to the Pacific Regional Government, as it's outlined in this bill. Simfan surely comes up with a good plan, and Hagrid is entitled to refuse their plan shouldn't it be good. Agree with that?

This is just for Napa County, though, not the whole area. I bet Marin County, Somoma County, Mendocino County, Lake County and as far as Sacramento or Santa Clara Counties have suffered (nearly equally) under the quake. I would say, let's get the SoIA on Smiley

Yeah, I suppose I am fine with that. I prefer not to leave certain things to chance, but there are only so many hours in the day.

I'm sorry, but I don't really understand what you want to say?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2014, 06:28:52 PM »

So are there any remaining concerns here?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2014, 01:57:59 AM »
« Edited: September 09, 2014, 02:00:27 AM by Senator Cranberry »

Yes. We still need a GM/SoIA report to determine how much money we'll be giving to the Pacific.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 02:55:54 AM »

I mean I'd rather make sure that we get Bob Joe his money and sign off on it than delay it and pawn the work to Hagrid, but obviously delegating is a big part of being an officeholder.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 03:41:32 AM »

I mean I'd rather make sure that we get Bob Joe his money and sign off on it than delay it and pawn the work to Hagrid, but obviously delegating is a big part of being an officeholder.

Oh, yeah, I get your point. So you mean we should already lay out for what the money should be used?
Alright, I'll provide an amendment later.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 10:33:37 AM »

Have we come up with a definitive number here?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 11:02:19 AM »

I don't think that we should do anything without a GM report here, or do you?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2014, 06:27:37 PM »

What's taking so long with the numbers?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2014, 09:52:54 AM »

Hagrid is on LoA for some time...
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2014, 11:01:06 AM »

Do we want to table this one or do we want to throw a number out and work from there? It's not as if we couldn't revisit this later with more funding if it proves itself to be necessary, after all.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2014, 05:16:08 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2014, 05:23:18 PM by Governor Varavour »

I would humbly suggest that one of the Senators move to continue debate. I thought I had thrown out a number before, but apparently not. Given a bit of time- perhaps sometime this weekend, but not right away- I could come up with some sound numbers. In the meanwhile let me just lay out what assumptions I am making and what I'm going to be looking for when trying to find the numbers.

Questions I'll seek to answer:

Q1. What were the direct costs of earthquake, e.g. physical damage, lost goods, etc?
Q1a. What proportion (or how much) of these costs were covered by insurance?
Q1b. Of the uninsured losses, what proportion of these should the government provide compensation?
Q1c. What proportion (or how much) of these costs were to public infrastructures, e.g. roads, if not in this case then in comparable cases?

Q2. What are the projected additional (or indirect) economic losses to the region as a result of the earthquake?
Q2a. What are the specific projections for economic losses per industry or sector, where available?
Q2b. For which sectors would government assistance mitigate or lessen economic losses and to what extent, as suggested by prior cases?
Q2c. What would the costs of government assistance programs (e.g. tourism advertising campaigns, wine fairs) be, as suggested by prior cases?
Q3. What mitigatory policies could be pursued by the Regional Government to reduce damage from future earthquakes and/or the costs thereof (e.g. the ShakeAlert system, Earthquake Insurance, etc)?
Q3a. What would the costs of studying such policies be?
Q4. Maintaining that the federal and regional government should share the costs of relief and recovery, how should these costs be divided?

Now I don't want you all to lose me here, but I am going to put what I think the costs are in a mathematical expression. So let me define the variables, and forgive my gratuitous use of Century Schoolbook.

CPrivate = direct costs of losses for individuals/firms
CGovernment = direct cost of losses for the government
ψ = proportion of direct costs that are uninsured
λ = proportion of private uninsured damages the government would give relief for
L = the total cost of economic assistance programmes (see Q2c, above)
S = the total cost of studies on mitigatory programmes 
φ = the proportion of the total costs to by assumed by the federal government
TE= the expense, in total, of relief aid and other associated schemes
TEφ= the total expense to the federal government

Thus the number you are looking for here is TEφ, which is equal to...

TEφ = φ[(CPrivate × ψ × λ) + CGovernment + L + S]

So once I find the values- if the Senators could find some that would be very helpful, as well- to plug into this I can give you a number. But φ is something you'll have to decide, although we can go off precedent, which I'll also look for. And it goes without saying that the cost assumed by the region would be:

TERegion = (1 - φ)[(CPrivate × ψ × λ) + CGovernment + L + S]

Hope this helps us come closer to an idea of a number here. You might want to think of any specific conditions or things you would want to see done, although I'm obviously perfectly happy to take a nice lump sum back home and allocate it via the Legislative Council. But while I completely trust myself, if I were a Senator, I would, at the very least, throw in a provision mandating that the money that is being spent for certain reasons be spent  on those reasons, such that φ(CPrivate × ψ × λ) must be spent on direct relief for uninsured damages, φ(S)  must be spent on studies and research into mitigatory and preventive programmes and policies, and so forth. So after finding TEφ you'd just break it down and mandate that each thing be spent on what it is intended for...
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2014, 07:26:15 AM »

lol Simfan

Thank you for your detailed execution, to say so, it is indeed very helpful. I will seek myself if I find any numbers, but once we do have final numbers, I will provide an amendment giving at least some detail how to allocate it, but else you are free to allocate it your way.

There has been no consensus on tabling this bill, we just need numbers and then we will be ready swiftly, so you and the Council (lol) can take over.

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2014, 03:41:20 PM »

Well, Hagrid is now back from his leave of absence, have you consulted with him already, Cranberry?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2014, 05:50:29 PM »

Like I said in the other thread, this one has not been debated anywhere near as long and therefore should be completed, particularly if Hagrid has returned now.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2014, 02:45:53 AM »

Well, Hagrid is now back from his leave of absence, have you consulted with him already, Cranberry?

I have not, I slumbered deep when he returned xD But I'll be consulting with him immediately.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2014, 06:01:35 PM »

cough, cough
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2014, 12:02:20 PM »

Thank you, this has been seen. I will get you something formal by tomorrow night.

I guess it just should be a matter of days now Tongue

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2014, 06:21:43 PM »

My ability to cross check threads is severely reduced. Tongue
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2014, 09:09:52 PM »

Should be do the same that we're doing with the Support for Carers and wait for a GM instead?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2014, 09:31:45 PM »

I probably should just go and find these numbers myself, it would be the sensible thing to do. I will do it tomorrow. The stress means I am to be pilloried by you all if I fail to do so, or at least I should be.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2014, 05:32:51 AM »

So then wait for tomorrow. We have a SoIA report due as well, so I guess once we get the first number, we will immediately get the second numbers as well.
Thank you however, Governor.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2014, 02:44:59 AM »

After doing the math and plugging in the numbers, I have calculated $1,154,965,000.00 to be the approximate result of the formula I drew up a while back.

I mean the exact figure I ended up with was $1,154,964,759.23, but what's a little harmless rounding?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2014, 04:53:59 AM »

Thank you, Governor.
Might I ask you to maybe show us the calculation with which numbers you used, so that we can comprehend how you ended up with this number?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2014, 09:18:08 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2014, 09:19:51 AM by Governor Varavour »

That might take a while, considering the calculations weren't pretty and I'd need to go back and dig up all the sources...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies