What are the most socially liberal towns/counties in the South? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:36:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What are the most socially liberal towns/counties in the South? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What are the most socially liberal towns/counties in the South?  (Read 28783 times)
Storebought
YaBB God
« on: June 29, 2005, 03:59:32 PM »

...excluding Florida...

Perhaps:

Chapel Hill, NC
Carrboro, NC
Durham, NC
Asheville, NC
Atlanta, GA
DeKalb County, GA
Austin, TX
Arlington, VA
Nashville, TN

Austin's a state capital.  State capitals are always more "liberal" than the state, in general.  Not unlike Boston or Sacramento or Nashville.  (yes, I know there are counterexamples:  Tallahassee comes to mind.)  State capitals have several important features in common:  1.  because the workforce depends heavily on government/education and socialized resources, they tend to be big government types.  2.  also because of this effect, state capitals tend to weather economic downturns better than the rest of the state.  3.  because capitals bring together people from diverse and far-away places (both ideologically and geographically), people who live in state capital cities get used to strangers and strange ideas quickly.  And a state capital like Sacramento or Austin would have that phenomenon more than most, since they are the capitals of the most- and second most-populous states, respectively.  They are also, respectively, the state capitals of the 3rd-largest and 2nd-largest states geographically.

There is nothing liberal about Baton Rouge. Even the neighborhoods populated by LSU professors and such went for Bush. But that's just one of your exceptions..
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 07:38:27 PM »

okay, bitch-slap me like that.  fine.  Bear in mind that not only didn't I claim to agree with the original statement, I claimed to disagree with it.  I only mentioned some specific facts regarding many of the cities on the original list.  yeah, I'd actually thought about the red stick when I was originally posting that.  Hard to figure baton rouge.  really.  Some can try to say it's like Albany (more "liberal" than the state minus the only big city in the state, blah, blah, blah) but it really doesn't work in baton rouge's case.  And it's particularly difficult considering one of the state's largest student bodies lives in Baton Rouge.  (is tulane larger?)  I really am not sure what to say about baton rouge, and it probably deserves its own thread.  But I have noticed you can look up economic date from state capitals and university cities and find reams of support for what I posted generally.  Yes, like Tallahassee, Baton Rouge is an obvious counterexample. 

I'm too polite to bitch slap anybody! Smiley

Tulane is far better integrated in New Orleans than LSU is to BR. Then again, it's a great deal smaller (~10 K students in Tulane, 30 K in LSU)

LSU itself is enveloped in a tropical forest of live oaks. And most of the students live in a isolated part of the parish that was sugar cane fields just 20 years ago. The neighborhoods the professors live in is just as sheltered from the city.

As far as BR goes, it is small town and boring for the people who in Greater N.O., stuck-up for the Cajuns, and an urban hellhole for the rest of the white population. Even black people prefer to live in small towns (all the red south LA Kerry parishes are full of those towns) than in BR.

I always thought Tallahassee was extremely liberal, at least compared to the rest of the Panhandle.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies