If USA/Russia/China are the 3 most powerful countries, who are 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:10:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  If USA/Russia/China are the 3 most powerful countries, who are 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: If USA/Russia/China are the 3 most powerful countries, who are 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 ?  (Read 7320 times)
Unimog
Namibia

Political Matrix
E: -3.00, S: -2.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2014, 11:19:09 AM »

@ dead0man --> correct.

@ niemeyerite --> they need to believe it. (both of them)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2014, 11:35:18 AM »

France has more hard military power, old colonial links and veto power at the UNSC though.
andrew_c
Canada

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 01:11:19 AM »

1. USA
2. China
3. Russia
4. Germany
5. France
6. UK
7. Japan
8. Brazil
9. India
10. Canada
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2015, 02:26:53 AM »

So there seems to be a rough consensus that
Germany, France, the UK, Japan, India, and Brazil are in the top 10.

(Funny that it's still the major powers of World War II, plus only China/India/Brazil)

If the European Union ever became a true, unified state, I wonder what the top 10 would look like then...

Does this still seem to be the general consensus?
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2015, 04:30:25 PM »

1. USA
2. China
3. Russia
4. Germany
5. France
6. UK
7. Japan
8. Brazil
9. India
10. Canada

no
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2015, 04:49:43 PM »

So there seems to be a rough consensus that
Germany, France, the UK, Japan, India, and Brazil are in the top 10.

(Funny that it's still the major powers of World War II, plus only China/India/Brazil)

If the European Union ever became a true, unified state, I wonder what the top 10 would look like then...

Does this still seem to be the general consensus?

I would argue that Italy should be above Brazil.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2015, 08:33:45 AM »

1. USA
2. China
3. Russia
4. Germany
5. France
6. UK
7. Japan
8. Brazil
9. India
10. Canada

no

Maybe not in the top 10, but Canada is in the G7, whatever that's worth. Of course if we are looking at just military power, than Canada is probably not even in the top 50.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2015, 09:36:31 AM »

1. USA
2. China
3. Russia
4. Germany
5. France
6. UK
7. Japan
8. Brazil
9. India
10. Canada

no

Maybe not in the top 10, but Canada is in the G7, whatever that's worth. Of course if we are looking at just military power, than Canada is probably not even in the top 50.

There's no doubt that Canada is a important international actor, but they're only in G7 because it was founded while Europe lay in ruins. But they suffer from the fact that they have a low population and very big neighbour.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2015, 10:38:14 AM »

Superpower
USA

International Powers
PRC
UK
Russia
Germany
France

Regional Powers, or solely Economic powers (no particular order)
India
Pakistan
Japan
South Korea
Saudi Arabia
Iran
Turkey
Italy
Spain
South Africa
Nigeria
Brazil
Mexico
Canada
Australia
Indonesia

A case could be made for any 4 of the third group to be in the top 10, but I'd go with India, Japan, Italy, and... maybe Brazil I guess. Not South Korea, Iran, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Nigeria, Mexico, Canada, Australia, or Indonesia. So 10-13 are Pakistan, Brazil, Spain, and Turkey.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2015, 05:16:06 PM »

There's no doubt that Canada is a important international actor, but they're only in G7 because it was founded while Europe lay in ruins. But they suffer from the fact that they have a low population and very big neighbour.

Hmm...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_of_Seven_%28G7%29

While Europe was totally laying in ruins right after achieving its total post-war economical boom...

Not even the castle of Rambouillet, where it's been officially created by Giscard, France was at it again, was in ruin...

Lately it's more like 'Superpowerless'...

Well, it might be safer than 'Superpowerfull' eventually...
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2015, 06:19:01 PM »

Based on economics, military, and culture/soft power:

1. USA
2. China
3. Russia
4. Germany
5. UK
6. France
7. Japan
8. India
9. Brazil
10. Italy

Saudi Arabia and Turkey are runner ups.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2017, 03:14:29 PM »

Any changes recently?

I think Russia is now solid #2.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2017, 01:35:52 PM »

Since 2014 Brazil's economy has taken a nosedive and its political situation has turned unstable. I doubt people today would be inclined to put them in the top 10. In Brazil's place I'd put either Turkey, South Korea, and Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia is probably the best answer; its soft power has been enormous in the Muslim world for decades and its military is one of the best funded (and with its recent interventions probably among the most experienced top) in the world.

China should absolutely be at second. Economic wealth (and the soft power you get from that) really makes the difference. China is able to invest and spread its influence through Africa and South America. Russia has trouble exerting power with its neighbors. The hacking and election influencing boosts Russia, but we don't really see it all that much outside of Europe and its success has been limited. Unless I see them actually succeed at building a new international coalition, China gets second.

So my list would be:

1.United States
2.China
3.Russia
4.France
5.Britain
6.Germany
7.Japan
8.India
9.Saudi Arabia
10.Italy
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2017, 01:45:18 PM »

More people should be listing Iran. It's an economic power, has a formidable military and is a regional threat to other ME countries.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2017, 04:59:35 PM »

1. America
2. Russia
3. China
4. Germany
5. Japan
6. United Kingdom
7. France
8. India
9. Brazil
10. Turkey(?)

Canada, Mexico, and Italy could all arguably vie with Brazil and Turkey for contention in those last slots. Furthermore, Germany's continued rise is by far the most impressive. Two defeats in world wars, losing half of its landmass from a hundred years ago, and having been split in two for forty years would keep almost every other country off this list.

I should point out Russia and China both consider themselves the greatest powers in the world.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2017, 08:38:00 AM »

In Brazil's place I'd put either Turkey, South Korea, and Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia is probably the best answer; its soft power has been enormous in the Muslim world for decades and its military is one of the best funded (and with its recent interventions probably among the most experienced top) in the world.
the country that even with billions of dollars spent on US toys can't beat a few thousand Yemeni tribesmen with dusty AKs? 
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2017, 11:10:58 AM »

In Brazil's place I'd put either Turkey, South Korea, and Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia is probably the best answer; its soft power has been enormous in the Muslim world for decades and its military is one of the best funded (and with its recent interventions probably among the most experienced top) in the world.
the country that even with billions of dollars spent on US toys can't beat a few thousand Yemeni tribesmen with dusty AKs? 

You can use that same logic against the US in Afghanistan
palandio

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2017, 04:36:45 PM »

Or against Russia in Syria for that matter.

But seriously, what differentiates Afghanistan from Yemen is that the Taliban insurgency is mostly guerrilla warfare in rural areas of a country that has proven to be uncontrollable for any outside power.
The Houthi insurgency on the other hand controls major areas of Yemen including its capital and conquering these should in theory be mostly conventional warfare for Saudi&friends.
The difference between Syria and Yemen finally is that the Houthis have become isolated from the outside world logistically, whereas the rebels in Northwestern and Southern Syria can count on multiple outside supporters.

Overall the amount of power that the Middle Eastern regional powers (Turkey, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Israel) have is quite an interesting question and comparing them one against the other is quite worthwile. In the end I would probably include none of them among the top 10, but all of them among the top 20.
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: 1.48

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2017, 04:39:36 AM »

You can use that same logic against the US in Afghanistan

Saudites doing this conflict much worse, than Russia in Syria or US in Afghanistan. They can't conquer Houthis strongholds, even capital, they suffer huge losses in living force and vehicles etc.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2017, 05:07:54 PM »

Surprised nobody has said Switzerland lmao
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies