If USA/Russia/China are the 3 most powerful countries, who are 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 ? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:56:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  If USA/Russia/China are the 3 most powerful countries, who are 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 ? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If USA/Russia/China are the 3 most powerful countries, who are 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 ?  (Read 7359 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: August 30, 2014, 06:30:25 AM »

Yeah, that's pretty much it.  We could argue the order, obviously...and the 10th spot (lots of contenders).  I'd put Germany and Japan over the UK and France and I probably wouldn't have Italy on the list, but I'm not really sure who should replace it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 07:42:41 AM »

Oh yeah, I was going to address that too and forgot.  Russia has a lot of aging nukes and are good at chest thumping, but it's a hollow chest.  They are sitting on a lot of energy, but the world's energy needs are changing and not in a direction that benefits the bear.  Even in it's best days of the Soviet Union, it was just a shell, now it's a shell of a shell.

(and this is a lot less fun with no RussiaSTRONG! posters here)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 11:08:52 AM »

China is far more powerful than Russia.

My ranking would look something like this:

1. USA

2. China
The problem with putting the PRC so high is that they don't really deserve it.  HUGE internal issues.  Issues much harder to overcome than anything the other 9 might have to deal with.  They have a large military that is rapidly improving, but it's still a long LONG way behind the West in tech and even Russia.  (stealing tech sounds good on paper and even occasionally works out for the thief, but more often then not, in actual use they are almost never as good as the thing copied and often quite inferior)  They can't project the sh**tty power they do have.  And they don't have any friends that aren't bigger basket cases than they are.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 09:50:17 AM »

If you put the EU as one, combining Germany, France, Italy and the rest, it is easily number 2.  The PRC and Russia are fighting for a far distant third.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 08:38:00 AM »

In Brazil's place I'd put either Turkey, South Korea, and Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia is probably the best answer; its soft power has been enormous in the Muslim world for decades and its military is one of the best funded (and with its recent interventions probably among the most experienced top) in the world.
the country that even with billions of dollars spent on US toys can't beat a few thousand Yemeni tribesmen with dusty AKs? 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies