MO-GOV 2016: McCaskill run?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:25:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MO-GOV 2016: McCaskill run?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MO-GOV 2016: McCaskill run?  (Read 3217 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 30, 2014, 11:16:09 PM »

She's apparently been dropping hints. What do resident Missourians think?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 11:36:56 PM »

I'm not a resident Missourian, but I think she'd be better off running for a third term in the U.S. Senate. I can't see her winning.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 11:45:19 PM »

1. ew

2. McCaskill had a chance in 2004 but that didn't happen, of course. At this point, she's too unpopular and she wouldn't attract enough crossover support necessary for a Missouri Democrat to win statewide like Jay Nixon did. Her reelection in 2012 was an obvious outlier because the opponent she faced was just that bad, but you can bet that the Republicans in this state will try their hardest to ensure that doesn't happen again. I would say that Republicans have an edge toward reclaiming the governorship in 2016, although that can change depending on who the candidates are.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 06:08:43 AM »

Koster would wipe the floor with her in the primary.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 10:36:32 AM »

I don't know if she can win the governorship. If she defeats Koster in the primary and faces Catherine Hanaway or Tom Schweich, I don't know if she can win in rural ares like Rolla, and Lamar, etc. She won rural ares against Akin in her 2012 re-election because Akin was too conservative for the state.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 11:40:29 AM »

I would rather have her as governor than Koster, but Koster would have a much better chance of winning in my opinion. She should just stick to the Senate.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 08:11:57 PM »

The Dems have a deep enough bench in MO they don't even need her to run and Koster would be a far superior candidate to her.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 07:14:59 PM »

Kander could also be a strong candidate if Koster opts out. Kander's fundraising numbers aren't nearly as impressive as Koster's and Koster has more political experience, but ultimately, either of them or most Missouri Democrats for that matter would be a better candidate for Governor than McCaskill. She would risk nationalizing a race that just shouldn't be nationalized and would struggle finding any support outside KC and St. Louis.

If anything, McCaskill needs to be more focused on 2018. Unless a miracle takes place where the MO GOP screws up again and nominates Luetkemeyer or Hartzler, McCaskill will arguably be the most endangered incumbent. She needs to begin raising money for the 2018 runs, not 2016 Governor. Same goes for Manchin and Heitkamp.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 07:20:12 PM »

Kander could also be a strong candidate if Koster opts out. Kander's fundraising numbers aren't nearly as impressive as Koster's and Koster has more political experience, but ultimately, either of them or most Missouri Democrats for that matter would be a better candidate for Governor than McCaskill. She would risk nationalizing a race that just shouldn't be nationalized and would struggle finding any support outside KC and St. Louis.

If anything, McCaskill needs to be more focused on 2018. Unless a miracle takes place where the MO GOP screws up again and nominates Luetkemeyer or Hartzler, McCaskill will arguably be the most endangered incumbent. She needs to begin raising money for the 2018 runs, not 2016 Governor. Same goes for Manchin and Heitkamp.

What's wrong with Luetkemeyer? I don't see any controversy with him.

Hartzler, of course, is a very different story.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 07:35:53 PM »

McCaskill may be the luckiest politician ever if she gets Icky Vicky as her opponent.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 08:47:03 PM »

Kander will probably run for Senate in absence of Nixon I don't see Koster backing out of the Gov race in any scenario he's been running since 2012 really.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 08:56:18 PM »

Kander will probably run for Senate in absence of Nixon I don't see Koster backing out of the Gov race in any scenario he's been running since 2012 really.
Kander would be the next best choice if Koster for whatever reason declines though. Like Wisconsin with Feingold, you always need a backup just in case. Zweifel already declined a run for Governor, but he hasn't declined a run for Senate, so the most likely scenario I see happening is Koster for Governor and either Zweifel or Kander for Senate, depending on what Koster does.

@sawx, I knew he was a Tea Party darling, but to my amazement, he actually doesn't seem to be nearly as bad as Icky Vicky. He seems to avoid social issues more than Vicky does, which is good considering the last thing the MO GOP would need in 2018 is another Akin-like social comment. So I guess it will be either Vicky or vanish for McCaskill.

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 11:30:28 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2014, 11:36:12 AM by bronz4141 »

Rachel Maddow thinks she should run for president in 2016. She has lots of options. She can run for governor in 2016, or president, or run for Senate reelection in 2018. If she runs for governor, it's because of a potential Hillary Clinton presidential run in 2016, and the coattail effect.

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2014/09/claire_mccaskill_probably_wont_run_for_president_awkwardly_tells_rachel_maddow_why.php

http://themissouritorch.com/blog/2014/09/02/how-mccaskill-runs-for-governor-in-2016-and-avoids-a-nasty-primary-against-koster/
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 11:41:59 AM »

I don't see her running for President at all. Seems like we're really scraping the barrel.

I'm almost waiting for a Will Diane Feinstein run for President? thread.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 01:10:02 PM »

Rachel Maddow thinks she should run for president in 2016. She has lots of options. She can run for governor in 2016, or president, or run for Senate reelection in 2018. If she runs for governor, it's because of a potential Hillary Clinton presidential run in 2016, and the coattail effect.

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2014/09/claire_mccaskill_probably_wont_run_for_president_awkwardly_tells_rachel_maddow_why.php

http://themissouritorch.com/blog/2014/09/02/how-mccaskill-runs-for-governor-in-2016-and-avoids-a-nasty-primary-against-koster/

McCaskill was one of the first senators to endorse Hillary. Not gonna happen.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 04:26:26 PM »

No
1: She tried back in 2004 and failed.
2: Koster doesn't need competition in the primary when the general election will already be competitive enough.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 05:24:44 PM »

On an unrelated note, why does Missouri consistently produce such mediocre politicians? You'd think a state that historically was fairly evenly matched between the parties would produce better candidates by necessity.

You have the Blunts, John Ashcroft, Bob Holden, right-wing SoCon GOP-ers like Akin/Hartzler, CBC Democrats in STL/KC, Jay Nixon, Claire.

It says something that the most highly regarded MO politicians are probably Harry Truman, and the Carnahans, who basically ran St. Louis like their personal fiefdom.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 06:50:07 PM »

On an unrelated note, why does Missouri consistently produce such mediocre politicians? You'd think a state that historically was fairly evenly matched between the parties would produce better candidates by necessity.

You have the Blunts, John Ashcroft, Bob Holden, right-wing SoCon GOP-ers like Akin/Hartzler, CBC Democrats in STL/KC, Jay Nixon, Claire.

It says something that the most highly regarded MO politicians are probably Harry Truman, and the Carnahans, who basically ran St. Louis like their personal fiefdom.

I think John Danforth and Kit Bond are generally held in high regard.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2014, 08:14:23 PM »

I think John Danforth and Kit Bond are generally held in high regard.

Danforth yes, but Bond is just a generic Republican.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 08:16:45 PM »

McCaskill could win the governorship if Hillary runs for president. It could be a coattail effect for the Democrats.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 10:43:54 PM »

Uh oh http://m.kmbc.com/news/missouri-house-committee-to-investigate-koster/29426032
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 11:35:02 PM »

Isn't the Missouri House full of Republican hacks that routinely do investigations on Democrats based off no evidence? Meh.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 11:37:42 PM »

Hopefully the democrats who let that gerrymander happen have learned their lesson.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 06:57:05 AM »

Isn't the Missouri House full of Republican hacks that routinely do investigations on Democrats based off no evidence? Meh.

Basically Tongue

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies