Which potential candidates will get cabinet positions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:39:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Which potential candidates will get cabinet positions?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which potential candidates will get cabinet positions?  (Read 810 times)
daveosupremo
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -2.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2014, 09:37:25 PM »

Each of the potential candidates have strengths and weaknesses. Of the commonly mentioned potential candidates, who are likely to get looked at to fill cabinet positions if they choose not to run, or don't get the nomination?
NHLiberal

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 10:30:49 PM »

I could see Jeb Bush as Secretary of Education if he shifts on common core or if a pro-common core Republican President is elected (not sure if any of these exist in the field?)

Peter King as Secretary of Homeland Security in a Christie or really any somewhat hawkish/non-Rand Paul Republican administration wouldn't surprise me.

Mitt Romney as Secretary of the Treasury or (more likely) Commerce is also a possibility if he's willing to take the job. Maybe Portman in one of these positions?

If Scott Walker loses reelection or flounders so badly in 2016 to the point that another presidential run would be off the cards, I could see him as Secretary of Labor if a Republican President wants to send a strong anti-union message.

Bobby Jindal in HHS would make sense, and he won't really have anything else to do. Kelly Ayotte as AG maybe, especially if she loses reelection in NH.

I could see Rick Perry in some sort of cabinet position but I'm not sure where. Mayyybe John Bolton as Secretary of State in a Christie administration, but that might be a bit too aggressive.

But, most cabinets usually only take a few Governors/members of Congress and end up being a lot of people we haven't heard of.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 01:23:30 PM »

I could see Schweitzer becoming Secretary of the Interior, Sanders as Secretary of the Treasury [to appease the liberal base], and O'Malley...not sure where O'Malley would go? Health? Education?

But seriously no mention of the potential Clinton challengers in a Clinton presidency?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 01:26:35 PM »

Jeb Bush as Secretary of Education under Christie.

Bobby Jindal as HHS under any of them or Kelly Ayotte as AG under Christie.

As for Dems, I could see Andrew Cuomo in a Clinton administration somewhere, maybe Attorney General or HUD.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 10:38:03 PM »

I could see Rick Perry in some sort of cabinet position but I'm not sure where. Mayyybe John Bolton as Secretary of State in a Christie administration, but that might be a bit too aggressive.

Perry as Secretary of Commerce would be hilarious (leading the agency he forgot he wanted to eliminate), but I can't think of any good reason a Republican president would want him in the cabinet.

Bolton would have a hard time getting confirmed, even with a Republican Senate.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 04:04:08 AM »

I could see Jeb Bush as Secretary of Education if he shifts on common core or if a pro-common core Republican President is elected (not sure if any of these exist in the field?)

Peter King as Secretary of Homeland Security in a Christie or really any somewhat hawkish/non-Rand Paul Republican administration wouldn't surprise me.

Mitt Romney as Secretary of the Treasury or (more likely) Commerce is also a possibility if he's willing to take the job. Maybe Portman in one of these positions?

If Scott Walker loses reelection or flounders so badly in 2016 to the point that another presidential run would be off the cards, I could see him as Secretary of Labor if a Republican President wants to send a strong anti-union message.

Bobby Jindal in HHS would make sense, and he won't really have anything else to do. Kelly Ayotte as AG maybe, especially if she loses reelection in NH.

But, most cabinets usually only take a few Governors/members of Congress and end up being a lot of people we haven't heard of.

Yeah, I agree with you on the last count.

Maybe it's just me, but right now, I can't see any of these guys taking cabinet posts. Especially Jeb Bush as Secretary of Education. Normally once you enter the cabinet, it kinda means your political days are nearing an end. There are exceptions, like obviously Hillary Clinton, though.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 09:02:05 PM »

For the Democrats, it would be the people who didn't run against Hillary. Bill gave posts to prominent Democrats who didn't run in 1992 (VP for Gore, Secretary of Commerce for Bentsen, offered Mario Cuomo the Supreme Court) and nada for the Democrats who sought the nomination.

I could see Biden offered Secretary of State as an interesting conclusion to his career.
Cuomo's ethics issues would be problematic.
Hickenlooper's science background makes him a potential Secretary of Energy.

On the Republican side, Romney's an obvious side for Commerce or Treasury.
Condoleeza Rice could be an interesting Secretary of Defense.
Secretary of Education is an obvious choice for Jeb.
NHLiberal

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 09:57:09 PM »

Secretary of Education is an obvious choice for Jeb.

Except what Republican with potential to be elected in 2016 supports the common core, besides Jeb? That seems to be a disagreement big enough to preclude him from this position.
GOON
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 7.17

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 07:17:53 PM »

Cruz, Kucinich, and Carson will get cabinet positions if Rand is elected

I could see that, especially Cruz as potentially the Attorney General.  If he doesn't fill that post in a Rand Paul administration, I could definitely see him choosing Ken Cuccinelli for the job.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies