Have things ever happened to you you thought would make a good Onion article?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:13:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Have things ever happened to you you thought would make a good Onion article?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Have things ever happened to you you thought would make a good Onion article?  (Read 881 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 31, 2014, 06:11:26 PM »
« edited: August 31, 2014, 06:34:13 PM by black and white band photos »

You know those stories the Onion runs about very mundane and minor events that happen to people that are "funny because it's true" and you often think about how that's happened to you. A couple of those have happened recently and I kind of wrote articles in my head. Examples:

Man Disappointed Yet Kind of Relieved to Find Out Sales Clerk Isn't As Cute As She Appeared At First Glance

MINNEAPOLIS—Local man BRTD, 30, admitted that the sales clerk at a local record store actually turned out to not look as good upon checkout as he thought when he walked in the door. "At first I thought she looked like a total indie hipster goddess, with her cute dress, long brown hair with a few blue streaks, cute flower in it and the tattoos" explained BRTD, "but upon checkout I realized her nose was kind out of proportion for her face, her freckles aren't as flattering close up, she's not exactly in perfect shape and the tattoos are more trashy than quirky. I mean I wouldn't turn her down or anything, the flower and blue streaks in the hair are a nice touch, but she's still just between a 6 and 7." However BRTD admitted this was kind of relieving. "If she did look that good checking out would be kind of awkward, and what if I started seeing her at shows or parties and found out she has a boyfriend and got heartbreakeningly friendzoned? Seriously it's probably better this way." Later reports indicate though on his way home BRTD crossed paths with a female jogger who looked even better close up than she did while approaching.

Man Saddened To See Local Business He Never Shopped At Close

MINNEAPOLIS—BRTD, 30, expressed disappointed at noticing the closing sale signs for Roberts Shoe Store on Lake Street, a store that he never once shopped at and never intended to ever do so. "I mean sure I bought my shoes mostly at the mall, but it was kind of cool having a shoe store on Lake Street, something unique about the area. And the "Hardly a shoe we can't fit!" banner was a nice touch. It was a local staple and one I'm going to miss seeing. Besides, it always sucks to see a small business close, you know? I'm not saying I would start shopping there if I knew they were in trouble but regardless, it's disappointing." BRTD later expressed satisfaction at seeing the local bookstore further down the road that is still open that he also has never shopped at and probably still never will have even if it's still open in 10 years.

Local Man Spends $5 On Bar of Soap For Some Reason

MINNEAPOLIS—Local man BRTD, 30, admitted that he purchased a $5 bar of soap at a notable local store, but can't quite justify doing it. "At first I thought, $5 for a bar of soap, what? But then I saw it's handmade by a local couple and all of natural ingredients which I don't really care about...but is still kind of cool. And besides a bar of soap that size lasts at least two weeks, so that's probably just $10 a month even if I bought it every time. If I don't like it I can always just not buy it again and go back to the six packs for $8 at Target." Upon getting home BRTD debated if he should put it immediately in his shower but opted to put it away and at least wait until his current bar was done.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 06:18:02 PM »

Reported.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 06:18:42 PM »

Teenage Internet User Baffled When Adults Don't Take Him Seriously
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 09:54:31 PM »

One night I thought it was a good idea to explain, complete with maps, my theory on Malaysia to the girl I liked at the time, and had a panic attack on IRC when I realized what I did.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 10:07:21 PM »

One night I thought it was a good idea to explain, complete with maps, my theory on Malaysia to the girl I liked at the time, and had a panic attack on IRC when I realized what I did.

I'm still laughing about this honestly.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 11:50:09 AM »
« Edited: September 01, 2014, 12:29:24 PM by memphis »

Didn't happen to me, but when I read about this, I immediately thought it would make a good, though caustic, Onion article.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/police-probe-theft-rosa-parks-old-apartment
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 12:57:56 PM »

I actually loled at a few parts of your tales, BRTD. Funny cuz it's true, indeed.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 10:05:51 PM »

I also re-ordered my friends' orders at Taco Bell (because I didn't think they ordered) at about an 8. Wound up spending $40.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 07:52:31 AM »

GOP Maintains Solid Hold On Youth That Already Look Like Old Men

The Republican Party may have an insurmountable lead among young voters who dress and act like they’re already 50 years old.

Wait a minute... that was already in the Onion.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 08:11:27 AM »

It's not "local man".  It's "area man":

http://www.theonion.com/channels/area-man/

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France