Jennifer Lawrence and many other celebrities...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:55:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Jennifer Lawrence and many other celebrities...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Jennifer Lawrence and many other celebrities...  (Read 10813 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2014, 06:30:22 PM »

Sexting.  I thought that was obvious.  Huh
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2014, 06:37:02 PM »

A " weird midsection"... " bit boxy"... "on her way to having weight problems"... what is wrong with you people? Perhaps this is the sexist patriarchy the angry people are always going on about.

Dudes discussing women in a male-dominated environment is sexist now?  I thought it was a normal thing guys just do.  Women discuss the physical attractiveness of men all the time!  And didn't I say she had killer t1ts and a beautiful face?

Sentence 1: No, you didn't get it
Sentence 2: lol
Sentence 3: you're still not getting it
Sentence 4: wow, didn't know it was possible to miss the point THIS much. And why self-censor tits? I have no speech.

No, Gustaf, youre just a boring prick who likes to stand on your little cloud of judgment passing life lessons out to all the sinners.  Go ahead and report that.

I don't report a great many posts, I'm not like Opebo and those other cry babies. Smiley

And I think you once again, like other Atlas misogynists, conflate dislike of sexism with dislike of sex. They're very different things and you would probably get more of the latter if you weren't so enamoured with the former.

I'm certainly more of a sinner than a prude and have very little of a judgmental attitude in this realm.

I'm sorry, I'm not a misogynist or enamored with sexism because I talk about the physical appearance of women with other men.  If it makes me a misogynist in someone else's book, fine, but that's not something I'm going to feel guilty about. 

I realize that it can be painful to question yourself, your flaws and your prejudices. It's much simpler to rely on one's dogma and insist that whatever you do can't be wrong 'just because'. But it's easy to educate yourself on how objectification, especially of the nasty kind displayed in this thread, hurts women and is part of a power structure that is essentially amoral.

But, sure complain about how mean other people are being to you by not being assholes. Tongue

(as an aside I find the whole "self-righteous/white knight" stuff that misogynists throw around to be one of the lamest type of arguments ever. It's essentially saying that other people being nicer than you makes you feel bad about yourself so they should stop. How did that ever become a socially accepted retort to anything?)

'Staf, I've yet to meet one woman in my social circle or somewhat connected to it that finds it offensive or sexist that men have opinions on the physical appearance of females and that they often discuss it amongst each other.   Not.  Friggin.  One.  I've also not one straight female friend that has not made a remark about the physical appearance of a male.  I'm not sure you are understanding how normal this is.  You are defining sexism as failure to live in an alternate reality where inner beauty and personality and all those types of things are all that matters.  Nah man, I'm perfectly happy living in our ugly little reality where men judge the appearance of women and women judge the appearance of men and that's it okay to just have fun with the subject and not get so damn uppity and butthurt about the fact that I think Kate Upton has an abnormally-shaped midsection and great boobs.  
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »

Sexting.  I thought that was obvious.  Huh

Important to remember:

It's true, a scientific argument for pro-life is growing. Personally I'm mixed on the subject. I'm sure most people who get abortions are sluts that don't want to/can't handle children and want to keep sleeping around. That's not right.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2014, 07:18:38 PM »

Important to remember:

It's true, a scientific argument for pro-life is growing. Personally I'm mixed on the subject. I'm sure most people who get abortions are sluts that don't want to/can't handle children and want to keep sleeping around. That's not right.
That has nothing to do with this. And why store them in the cloud anyway? Can't they store them in their own computers? (Or their buddies commputers)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2014, 07:19:23 PM »

Though it certainly implies a certain mindset..
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2014, 05:30:24 AM »

A " weird midsection"... " bit boxy"... "on her way to having weight problems"... what is wrong with you people? Perhaps this is the sexist patriarchy the angry people are always going on about.

Dudes discussing women in a male-dominated environment is sexist now?  I thought it was a normal thing guys just do.  Women discuss the physical attractiveness of men all the time!  And didn't I say she had killer t1ts and a beautiful face?

Sentence 4: wow, didn't know it was possible to miss the point THIS much. And why self-censor tits? I have no speech.

No, Gustaf, youre just a boring prick who likes to stand on your little cloud of judgment passing life lessons out to all the sinners.  Go ahead and report that.

I don't report a great many posts, I'm not like Opebo and those other cry babies. Smiley

And I think you once again, like other Atlas misogynists, conflate dislike of sexism with dislike of sex. They're very different things and you would probably get more of the latter if you weren't so enamoured with the former.

I'm certainly more of a sinner than a prude and have very little of a judgmental attitude in this realm.

I'm sorry, I'm not a misogynist or enamored with sexism because I talk about the physical appearance of women with other men.  If it makes me a misogynist in someone else's book, fine, but that's not something I'm going to feel guilty about. 

I realize that it can be painful to question yourself, your flaws and your prejudices. It's much simpler to rely on one's dogma and insist that whatever you do can't be wrong 'just because'. But it's easy to educate yourself on how objectification, especially of the nasty kind displayed in this thread, hurts women and is part of a power structure that is essentially amoral.

But, sure complain about how mean other people are being to you by not being assholes. Tongue

(as an aside I find the whole "self-righteous/white knight" stuff that misogynists throw around to be one of the lamest type of arguments ever. It's essentially saying that other people being nicer than you makes you feel bad about yourself so they should stop. How did that ever become a socially accepted retort to anything?)

'Staf, I've yet to meet one woman in my social circle or somewhat connected to it that finds it offensive or sexist that men have opinions on the physical appearance of females and that they often discuss it amongst each other.   Not.  Friggin.  One.  I've also not one straight female friend that has not made a remark about the physical appearance of a male.  I'm not sure you are understanding how normal this is.  You are defining sexism as failure to live in an alternate reality where inner beauty and personality and all those types of things are all that matters.  Nah man, I'm perfectly happy living in our ugly little reality where men judge the appearance of women and women judge the appearance of men and that's it okay to just have fun with the subject and not get so damn uppity and butthurt about the fact that I think Kate Upton has an abnormally-shaped midsection and great boobs.  

You mean women don't tell misogynist men about their fears and problems? Shocking!

See, this isn't about having opinions on appearance or inner beauty. That's what I already pointed out, you're not getting it at all. Which is why you should perhaps try to educate yourself on it, since you're clearly thinking it's about something that it isn't.

And as a response to what Snowstalker said, yeah, I'm obviously trying to get laid on the Atlas. Tongue
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2014, 10:36:55 AM »

This thread is an abomination.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2014, 10:40:02 AM »

You mean women don't tell misogynist men about their fears and problems? Shocking!

See, this isn't about having opinions on appearance or inner beauty. That's what I already pointed out, you're not getting it at all. Which is why you should perhaps try to educate yourself on it, since you're clearly thinking it's about something that it isn't.

And as a response to what Snowstalker said, yeah, I'm obviously trying to get laid on the Atlas. Tongue

Please enlighten me as to what I'm not getting at.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2014, 02:16:41 PM »

Discussing the attractiveness of professional models is not misogyny, calm down Gus.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2014, 03:13:12 PM »

Important to remember:

That has nothing to do with this. And why store them in the cloud anyway? Can't they store them in their own computers? (Or their buddies commputers)

Those who select to have iCloud back up their photos automatically likely never thought about it.  I'm guessing that most people selected to have auto-backup turn on for their pictures in general and didn't think, "I'd like these nude selfies back up to iCloud."
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2014, 05:40:34 AM »

So, firstly, of course finding people attractive or whatever is part of human nature. And talking to friends about such things can be fine too. It becomes problematic when women, as they often are, get reduced to mere sexual objects, and when women are sexualized in a mean-spirited way it's more a tool of oppression than an expression of natural desire.

Men who feel compelled to constantly harp on about women's appearance, especially in a demeaning way are contributing to a culture that creates a lot of suffering for a lot of women. And, fundamentally, there just isn't that much need as far as I can see. I never felt particularly in need of making my opinions about hot women known to the world. The underlying premise is that the world and women especially should care greatly about what random men think of their bodies and that isn't really true.

If I'm going to have sex with a woman I'll let her know what I find physically attractive about her but beyond that I don't engage much with that topic and I don't feel like I'm losing out much.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2014, 05:58:56 AM »

Discussing the attractiveness of professional models is not misogyny, calm down Gus.

Nice try, but I'm perfectly calm. Just pointing something out. Context also matters, and HockeyDude is pretty established already even if he is no Memphis.

It's amusing that you're both acting as if I've never discussed the attractiveness of women in my life. Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2014, 09:25:20 AM »

It's amusing that you're both acting as if I've never discussed the attractiveness of women in my life. Tongue

But when we do we're misogynists.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2014, 02:15:29 PM »

Thing is, Kate Upton is a supermodel. Calling someone who comments on her appearance a misogynist who judges women by their appearance is like saying that someone who comments about the abilities of a professional athlete is the same as someone who mocks and humiliates kids that are bad at sports.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2014, 02:56:17 PM »

Yeah, it's literally Kate Upton's job to be attractive. If she were a politician or a CEO or something, talking about whether or not she's attractive would be potentially problematic, but she's a model. That's what she does for a living.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2014, 03:44:25 PM »

So, firstly, of course finding people attractive or whatever is part of human nature. And talking to friends about such things can be fine too. It becomes problematic when women, as they often are, get reduced to mere sexual objects, and when women are sexualized in a mean-spirited way it's more a tool of oppression than an expression of natural desire.

Men who feel compelled to constantly harp on about women's appearance, especially in a demeaning way are contributing to a culture that creates a lot of suffering for a lot of women. And, fundamentally, there just isn't that much need as far as I can see. I never felt particularly in need of making my opinions about hot women known to the world. The underlying premise is that the world and women especially should care greatly about what random men think of their bodies and that isn't really true.

If I'm going to have sex with a woman I'll let her know what I find physically attractive about her but beyond that I don't engage much with that topic and I don't feel like I'm losing out much.

1. I'm not going to ever have sex with Kate Upton. 

2. A women's physical appearance is going to have a lot to do with her sexuality.

3. An observation about appearance is not inherently mean-spirited. 

4. This was about ONE feature of ONE supermodel.  No harping is happening.  If you are saying that I am adding to "harping" in a grand, societal sense... that's not my fault. 

5. This isn't to the world.  This is basically in completely anonymity to an obscure board in which only a few people know what a "HockeyDude post" is. 
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2014, 04:03:53 PM »

Well...if you do it in a misogynist way you're being misogynist. That isn't all that complex. For example, in a context of peoples' privacy being violated it is telling if one decides to make fun of the victims' appearance.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2014, 07:37:58 PM »

Well...if you do it in a misogynist way you're being misogynist. That isn't all that complex. For example, in a context of peoples' privacy being violated it is telling if one decides to make fun of the victims' appearance.
Except...that isn't at all what happened. Snowstalker made a comment upon Upton's "excess" (come to think of it, Snow's post was pretty sexist, but that's a different matter), which Patrick1 misinterpreted as a comment about Upton's weight, which he noted could potentially be a problem in the context of her profession as a supermodel. In reply, HockeyDude said that Upton was indeed "a "bit boxy" (again, in the context of her being a supermodel).

Either you didn't actually read most of the posts in this thread, or you're just unable to understand the context of a discussion.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2014, 08:20:35 PM »

I always thought she had a weird midsection....

She is a bit boxy yes but obviously attractive. If Im to engage in lookism, Id say at 22 years old I could see her going an Anna Nicole Smith route.

I took excess another way... so ah great, I get to be the sexist jerk to point out that Upton is on her way to having weight problems for her profession.

This is just not right.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2014, 04:06:15 AM »

Except...that isn't at all what happened. Snowstalker made a comment upon Upton's "excess" (come to think of it, Snow's post was pretty sexist, but that's a different matter), which Patrick1 misinterpreted as a comment about Upton's weight, which he noted could potentially be a problem in the context of her profession as a supermodel. In reply, HockeyDude said that Upton was indeed "a "bit boxy" (again, in the context of her being a supermodel).

Either you didn't actually read most of the posts in this thread, or you're just unable to understand the context of a discussion.

I think maybe you're missing the context here.

Actually on topic, Lawrence commented on the whole thing in Vanity Fair. It's getting a fair bit of attention.

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/2014/10/jennifer-lawrence-cover
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2014, 04:43:26 AM »

if you looked at the leaked pictures, you are a bad person.
end of.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2014, 07:45:16 AM »

I got too caught up in the Kate Upton discussion to actually say: Yes, (Gustaf) I think this is wrong for private pictures to be "hacked out of the Cloud" (I guess?) and passed around the interwebs.  Look, I love it when the wily bastards over at 4chan and whatever cause chaos around the web and **** with people, but this was too far.  That these were all rich celebrities, I feel a bit less sorry, though.  That includes Tigers pitcher Justin Verlander, who was part of this.  If I were an actor man, I'd probably be laughing this off.  Then again, I've streaked wasted through Camden, NJ for the hell of it, so maybe I'm a strange bird.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies