Gay teen attacked by family (VIDEO)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:24:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay teen attacked by family (VIDEO)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Gay teen attacked by family (VIDEO)  (Read 3109 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2014, 11:11:27 PM »

Yeah, I saw this a few days ago. What a f-cking disgusting world.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2014, 12:06:34 AM »

People should visit these back asswords bigots and give them a good talking to, enough to no longer disown their son.

Also, more proof that 99% of the time conversion therapy doesn't work.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 09:58:57 AM »

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2014, 10:13:19 AM »

People should visit these back asswords bigots and give them a good talking to, enough to no longer disown their son.

I think your percentage is low altho I doubt that most who advocate such nonsense would consider this to be "therapy".
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 12:22:17 PM »

What are you two arguing about?  I can't make heads or tails of what Ernest is saying here.  Being gay isn't a choice.  Being effeminate or flaming isn't a choice.  That woman in the video is a inhuman monster.  End of story.  

I'm not certain what we're arguing about either, since all three of us are in general agreement apparently.  About the only thing I'd disagree with you is over that woman being an inhuman monster.  Unfortunately, she is an all too human monster.  Inhumane, but not inhuman.

Yeah, whatever.  I can't fathom treating your children like that.  But, I'm Jewish and we're more family-oriented than American Christian people.  Plus, I'm gay so this really breaks my heart.

Firstly, this kid's parents are clearly horrible people who are both emotionally and physically abusive.  There's really no ambiguity on that count. The worst part is that as others have said, I suspect this sort of thing does happen quite a bit behind closed doors (especially the emotional abuse), albeit not with the sort of deliberate malevolence of the parents in this video.  I'm pretty sure most parents wouldn't physically attack their child if he/she came out, even if they were very homophobic.  

Not that it is any sort of excuse, but I do think a lot of these people genuinely believe in the "hate the sin, love the sinner" thing (rather than it just being a throwaway line) and have convinced themselves they are helping their children in a warped "this hurts me more than it hurts you"/"you may hate me now, but you'll thank me someday" sort of way (whereas the parents in the video are clearly just horrible people whose homophobia happens to be the outlet through which they are expressing their malevolence).  Again, I'm not defending parents who don't accept their children for who they are, I'm just giving my opinion as to how people who genuinely love their children can simultaneously find themselves unable to love and accept their sons and daughters for who they are.  Pretending the only people who don't accept one of their children after learning he/she is gay/lesbian are monstrous caricatures like the parents in the video is like pretending the only people with racist views are alcoholic rednecks from the rural South who live in trailer-parks and look like Merle Dixon.  Aside from not being true, it lets most people with more subtle or less extreme versions of the same prejudices pat themselves on the back and tell themselves "I can't be a racist/homophobe/anti-semite/etc, because only (insert extreme caricature here) are (insert form of bigotry here) and I know I'm not trailer-trash/one of those people who protests at gay people's funerals/a neo-Nazi/etc."  

@ Bedstuy: I don't think religion really determines how family-oriented people are, at least not nearly as much as you seem to be suggesting.  Honestly, the notion that being an American who happens to be Christian makes you inherently less family oriented than being an American who happens to be Jewish is pretty gross.  Do you really think Christians automatically love their family members any less than Jews do?  I'm not sure if that was what you meant, but it sure came across that way.  It's not like there aren't plenty of Christian parents who have a gay or lesbian child and love him/her all the same.  If you think this sort of thing doesn't happen in Jewish families, you're very wrong.  How do you think the average parents in, say, Borough Park would react if one of their children came out to them?  That said, I agree with the other parts of your post.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2014, 12:29:30 PM »

I think your percentage is low altho I doubt that most who advocate such nonsense would consider this to be "therapy".

Well there are a scant few that these methods have worked on, but they are more the exception rather than the rule. Would 99.9999999999999999998% be good enough?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2014, 12:35:18 PM »

@ Bedstuy: I don't think religion really determines how family-oriented people are, at least not nearly as much as you seem to be suggesting.  Honestly, the notion that being an American who happens to be Christian makes you inherently less family oriented than being an American who happens to be Jewish is pretty gross.  Do you really think Christians automatically love their family members any less than Jews do?  I'm not sure if that was what you meant, but it sure came across that way.  It's not like there aren't plenty of Christian parents who have a gay or lesbian child and love him/her all the same.  If you think this sort of thing doesn't happen in Jewish families, you're very wrong.  How do you think the average parents in, say, Borough Park would react if one of their children came out to them?  That said, I agree with the other parts of your post.

It's not religion, it's culture.  The average American is not very family-oriented compared to the rest of the world.  There are pluses and minuses to that, but it's a fact.  And, when I say Jewish people, I mean the standard American Jews, not Hasidim.  And, that's not unique to Jewish people, the same would go for Indian Americans, Greek Americans, Italian Americans, Mexican Americans and many other cultural groups.

And, I don't mean Christians either, I mean, standard generic American white people who just happen to be Christian.   
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2014, 02:28:27 PM »

Well there are a scant few that these methods have worked on, but they are more the exception rather than the rule. Would 99.9999999999999999998% be good enough?

I did quick calculation. And for that to be correct, it would have needed to be tried on about 5 billion times as many people as have ever lived. lol
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2014, 03:01:01 PM »

Anyway, there are a few success stories regarding conversion to heterosexuality, but they are few and far between. That's the point I'm trying to make. And no one on Atlas (and many people in general) is willing to acknowledge them. But since they don't work the majority of the time, even if it does work on a select few, it's not really worth doing.

Besides, the few success stories are probably from people who are different from the average gay.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2014, 03:51:04 PM »

Anyway, there are a few success stories regarding conversion to heterosexuality, but they are few and far between. That's the point I'm trying to make. And no one on Atlas (and many people in general) is willing to acknowledge them. But since they don't work the majority of the time, even if it does work on a select few, it's not really worth doing.

Besides, the few success stories are probably from people who are different from the average gay.

Given that there have been quite a few people who have claimed to have therapy work for them only to later recant those claims, it's quite appropriate that such claims would meet with extreme skepticism.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies