Morality of working on campaigns for HP politicians?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:51:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Morality of working on campaigns for HP politicians?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Morality of working on campaigns for HP politicians?  (Read 2715 times)
Hamster
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2014, 03:29:31 PM »

If I work for Nathan Deal will I go to hell?

How much money is enough to make you/me/us sleep well at night?

Thinking generally, does it matter?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 03:57:10 PM »

Yes.

Way more than what a political campaign pays.

Not really, but get a job doing something else. 
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 08:25:01 PM »

To quote Bob Dylan's "Going to Acapulco."

It's a wicked life, but what the hell,
everybodys got to eat.
And I'm just the same as anyone else,
when it comes to scratching for my meat.

If the campaign opens the door for future jobs in which you will enjoy, then go for it. Even if you don't like Nathan Deal, you will gain experience and make connections that will help you find work for a future FF.

Yes.

Is it immoral for a vegan to work at McDonalds if his family is starving?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 09:56:59 PM »

Yes.

Is it immoral for a vegan to work at McDonalds if his family is starving?

No, because McDonalds is a restaurant dedicated to making yummy food.  The GOP is an organization dedicated to ruining America. 
GaussLaw
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 10:23:52 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2014, 10:32:16 PM by GaussLaw »

I honestly would be OK working with a politician I disagreed with........it's just a job.

Of course, if there is an objection so large that you can't morally tolerate that opinion, then it's a different story.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 03:32:16 PM »

Only if you work hard for them.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 07:16:47 PM »

It's fine, so long as you are using it as a stepping stone to some kind of greater good.
Foucaulf
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 12:17:02 AM »

Here's a different angle: what if it were wrong to work for a politician whose opinions you disagree with? Do you think it would change anything, or make you feel the politician is less of a Horrible Person? I tend to think not; people do these jobs knowing they're a cog in a bigger machine. But this argument may not be conclusive. It could be right for you to take the job for the sake of the future (as several people have mentioned)

It should be wrong for you to work to deny an immoral act he did, like if he killed a puppy or something. But the morality of just working may be up to you to decide. I personally would never write anything to get a Koch-funded scholarship, because I would work against the world I want there to be. And maybe you have a right to refuse working for anyone that goes against your ideal world - as well as immunity from blame.

(First paragraph is an objective value argument and the second a subjective one, loosely)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 02:30:36 AM »
« Edited: September 04, 2014, 02:36:29 AM by Robb the Survivor »

If you believe that his reelection would damage Georgia, then it is absolutely immoral for you to help him achieve it. What advantages you may gain from the job is irrelevant to the question.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 03:41:24 AM »
« Edited: September 04, 2014, 04:48:47 AM by politicus »

It would only be morally wrong if said politician was a threat to democracy or civil liberties.

EDIT: Causing irrevocable damage to the environment should be included too.

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 02:22:38 AM »

A campaign is a business, not unlike a not-for-profit that mixes paid employees with volunteers. It's seasonal work that needs a lot of staff for a short period and a smaller crew the rest of the time. Like any not-for-profit that uses volunteers, you can expect them to be passionate about their role - that's why they volunteer. The paid staff is expected to professional more than passionate - it's a job. If the job is done well there could be promotions, usually in the form of future work at better pay.

From a philosophical viewpoint, the focus should be on your role at the position. Find out what you are expected to do or say. If you would be asked to do or say things that you find morally offensive, then you shouldn't take the job. If you find the job to require occasional distasteful or unpleasant activities on your part, but not morally offensive ones, then that's something you might expect with any job and they shouldn't be a deal breaker. In either case taking a job should not generally be about company policies that don't negatively impact your work environment (pay, hours, conditions, etc.). Note that I've already covered job duties that are morally offensive, and my advice is that those should be deal breakers when considering the job.
Hamster
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 06:58:41 PM »

Ended up getting a canvassing job for Carter instead. Now I'm extracting money door to door in the name of Jason (most of it goes to consulting firm, to fund more canvassing, to extract more money). Feel like a slimo. But hey, I'm making double what Kroger pays.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 02:47:31 PM »

I work in politics and am currently working for a candidate that is pro-choice (while I am a pro-life Democrat). It has come to mind for me, as a religious person, what the Church would think of me doing so, but I agree with the remainder of the candidate's positions, of which are, outside of gay marriage, level with the Church's teachings.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies