I'm making toast
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:09:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  I'm making toast
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I'm making toast  (Read 1130 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2014, 06:32:37 PM »

The texture should be still soft, but with a few rougher, golden patches throughout. I will smear a large amount of butter on one side of each, taking care to reach the edges. Once halfway melted, I will dive in.

Other times I'll spread peanut butter and let it partially melt. Delicious, but messy. Messier still, I'll add honey on top.

If it isn't morning and I'm feeling up for it, I'll chuck on some bacon and two eggs, over easy, and perhaps canned baked beans.

I never have toast as the bread in a sandwich (unless it's a different sort of baked good.. English muffin, bagels, Turkish bread, etc). I also never smear jelly (jam) on toast. That is an abomination.

But enough about me. You?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 08:25:36 PM »

I like my bread only very lightly toasted as well.  I don't care for butter on it, though.  Nor honey.  Nor peanut butter. 

Braunschweiger is my poison of choice for accompaniment of toast, when I have it.  I usually don't have any, of course.  Cold cuts are okay as well, especially if I have mayonnaise and a freshly sliced cucumber.  Mozzarella cheese isn't bad either.  I can eat it dry as well, so long as it's still warm.

We do keep butter in the house, but generally use it for other purposes.  Primarily for cooking.

Of course if I'm going to eat a sandwich I always toast it.  My sandwiches usually involve canned tuna and always involve jalapeños and copious amounts of mayonnaise.  I toasted my sandwich today.  I toasted just about every sandwich I've made for the past twenty-five years, though I needn't be making a sandwich to enjoy toast topped with fruits and meat.

The jalapeños in the garden are running thin, as are the tomatoes.  The season's almost over.  We'll have to start buying them again soon. 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 09:32:50 PM »

I never bother with toast at home. As far as I'm concerned, the sole purpose of toasting is to get white bread firm enough to spread stuff on without making a mess of it, and I go with whole wheat or rye bread for that same effect without having to toast.

When I get toast as part of a restaurant breakfast, I insist that it be uncut. (I don't think I insist upon it being uncut for some subconscious Freudian reason, but then again if I did, how would I know?) The best thing on warm toast is apple butter, but when not available I make do with jam or jelly.  No dairy butter or margarine as that'll make toast soggy which defeats the purpose of toasting bread in the first place (see above).
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 09:19:55 AM »

Call me a heretic, but I prefer my toast very good toasted (I have encountered people that called my toast "charcoal"), with a great deal of Nutella on it, without butter of course.
If no Nutella is available (and don't come with that other, non-nutella "nut-nougat creme" stuff), I do like my toast also with butter and some jams, preferably apricot or strawberry, though orange and blackberry are okay as well.

When as sandwich, my toast is of course toasted too (again until it's nearly black and burned), and just with ham and cheese, plus a great deal of ketchup and mayo to dunk it in excessively.
Occasionally, I eat a cold sandwich, but never with toast bread, ehh, with good wholemeal or white bread, really baken bread, and not that gooey consistency that the anglophone hemisphere calls toast-"bread".
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 11:44:34 AM »

I go with whole wheat or rye bread for that same effect without having to toast.

Ah, but I use whole wheat (and at times rye) as well, and it requires toasting immediately before serving.

I make myself a sandwich for lunch about 75% of my workdays.  I use copious amounts of mayonnaise on one side, and mustard on the other.  I slice tomatoes, jalapeños, and cucumbers from my garden (or use storebought tomatoes, jalapeños, and lettuce when those items are not in season at my house).  Sometimes I used canned tuna, but today I used roast beef and mozzarella cheese.  But whether I use tuna or a firmer meat, the tomatoes and cucumbers end up leaking all over the bread.  (Even wheat and rye become soggy when prepared at 8:30 and consumed at 11:45.)  Thus the need for the toaster oven in my office.  I see its primary purpose (and indeed the primary purpose of toasting in general) not so different:  the vaporization of water molecules from the bread so that it's stiff (although I do prefer that it still be moist and pliable while I'm actually spreading the mayonnaise and mustard on the bread slices.  I also enjoy the texture of the cheese after toasting.  I find that the cucumbers and tomatoes end up being room temperature if I only toast it long enough to soften the cheese and crisp the bread.  Lightly toasting, I call it, and it involves no darkening of the bread.  At that point the lettuce, when I use it rather than cucumbers, is not yet wilted.  So I guess I like my bread to be water-free and crisp, but not at all oxidized.  

That said, I do like most other grains soggy.  I never understood the appeal of "crunchy" cereal.  I don't eat cereal often, but when I do I leave it soaking for at least ten minutes before eating them.  Despite what the commercials say, cereals will become soft in milk if you have the patience to wait for it.  I feel the same way about baked corn tortillas, when as tacos or nachos.  Leave it long enough in the liquified partially-hydrogenated cottonseed oil that passes for "cheese" and it'll be what they call mojado at the mexican restaurants.  Some authentic joints even have the decency to ask:  "¿mojado o seco?"  Mojado, buey.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 12:18:22 PM »

I go with whole wheat or rye bread for that same effect without having to toast.

Ah, but I use whole wheat (and at times rye) as well, and it requires toasting immediately before serving.

From your post, it sounds like you don't usually serve right after fixing.  I do, so if something gets soggy, it has to do it quickly.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 12:27:35 PM »

Bless you, Tik.  We need better threads in the Off Topic board.  Smiley

Unlike my good friend, angus, I'm a toast traditionalist.  If I'm eating toast, there's a 99% chance I'm having eggs (scrambled or over medium) and bacon/sausage, or some other breakfast meat.   There's a 1% chance I'm having a BLT or a Club Sandwich.

I like my toast medium well....a nice carmel brown.  I love it with lots of butter, apple butter, preserves, but I hate my peanut butter warm, so no pb.  Like Ernest I'd rather have it whole than cut.  I like it HOT.  I try very hard to time when the toast pops up so it's the exact moment I'm ready to hit it hard with softened butter.

I like toast.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 01:11:46 PM »

From your post, it sounds like you don't usually serve right after fixing.  I do, so if something gets soggy, it has to do it quickly.

well, when I do prepare immediately before consuming, then I still toast it.  Force of habit I suppose.  Still, I only toast long enough to stiffen, not long enough to oxidize the grain.

If I'm home for lunch (or otherwise near cooking appliances and cooking utensils) then I usually have something other than a sandwich.  I prefer hot meals over cold ones, even on hot days.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 01:32:19 PM »

Toast is an important food group. But to dismiss jam?!?! Heathen.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 01:41:41 PM »

Toast is an important food group. But to dismiss jam?!?! Heathen.

britain.txt
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 02:49:01 PM »

Obviously the best is toast + butter + jam.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 04:01:40 PM »

No vegemite?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 04:15:38 PM »

Toast, butter, and honey (or perhaps jam, sometimes), with a nice cup of hot tea. Heaven.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 01:38:26 AM »

English muffin bread... Toasted to dark brown...just shy of, but definitely not, burnt. Spread with butter and strawberry jam. With a mug of honeyed and milked tea. Just hot enough to almost burn your mouth.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 10:20:35 AM »

I'm a big fan of rye toast, but as for regular toast I like it moderately toasted and with either butter or jam. Depends on my mood.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 10:37:16 AM »

I eat those from time to time as well.  I like hummus and finely-chopped fresh garlic on mine.  
Pickle on the side.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 10:39:27 AM »

I eat those from time to time as well.  I like hummus and finely-chopped fresh garlic on mine.  
Pickle on the side.

Goddamnit angus, I want to run home and try that, NOW.......  Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies