Should the Washington NFL franchise's name be changed?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:22:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Should the Washington NFL franchise's name be changed?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes

No

Don't Know/Don't Care

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Should the Washington NFL franchise's name be changed?  (Read 2439 times)
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2014, 03:38:28 PM »

I've come around to a solid "No" on this. I was a lean no, but am now a no - probably because 1) I grew up on football, and it never, ever reinforced a negative in my mind about Native Americans and 2) there is a small clique trying to force this change which has questionable standing. The difference between this and "Fighting Irish," for e.g., is also blurry to me.

Any and all stereotypes or slurs should be taken out of sports. Fighting Irish is a stereotype just as much as the Cleveland baseball franchise's logo (or now ex-logo) is a stereotype. The difference between Washington and, say, the Minnesota Vikings is that 1. all of the Vikings are dead, and 2. "Viking" is not a slur. Still, I don't believe solely a face should be a sports logo for whatever reason. If the Viking was displayed in a battle stance, then sure. Same with the Native American in the Washington logo. If it's about respect, make it about respect. Make the Native American appear as something to be revered, not mocked.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 03:39:25 PM »

I hate sports, so option 3. But I don't think they should be forced to change the name.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 06:01:30 PM »

The difference between this and "Fighting Irish," for e.g., is also blurry to me.

What?? It's not even close.

Notre Dame as a university was founded by Catholics of Irish descent. If the Navajo Nation had enough people and money to have its own NFL team, it could name it the Redskins if it wanted.

Also, if the Redskins were called the Indians, or the name of a particular tribe, rather than a racial slur, there would be much less controversy.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 11:06:22 PM »

The majority of Indians I've known who were football fans were also Redskins fans, and this is including out west, not just because of the area I live in currently. I'm an 1/8, which isn't to say I consider myself Indian, but I actually knew my great-grandfather, an actual Indian, and he was a fairly passionate Redskins fan. It was the only sports team he cared about precisely because he identified with them. So while you may not care to hear from someone who is 1/32, I will speak on his behalf and say no, they shouldn't change their name, especially considering that it is used in an honoring way.

We've had a year of the media bashing the name and still only 23% of Americans, according to the latest poll this week, want the name changed. That doesn't mean it's right or wrong, but I don't see it happening until a larger portion of the public comes to the conclusion it needs to be changed.

Its also been disturbing to see the media describe the small number of activists who show up to protest the name as representative of all Indians, while when the Redskins had the Navajo code talkers at a game, they were essentially called Uncle Toms.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 10:54:53 AM »

If the Navajo Nation had enough people and money to have its own NFL team, it could name it the Redskins if it wanted.

Actually, the Navajo call themselves the Diné, not Redskins.

Also, if the Redskins were called the Indians, or the name of a particular tribe, rather than a racial slur, there would be much less controversy.

I think that's more problematic.  Cleveland already gets its share of grief, partly for the same reason as the Washington Redskins, but also because the indigenous people of the Americas know that Indians are from India.  Also, the using the word Indians merely propagates the errors of Columbus and his cartographers, who thought that the Antilles were in the East Indies.

NHLiberal

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 04:07:35 PM »

I don't think it should be changed. I think they should change it. (Normal?)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2014, 04:17:11 PM »

Absolutely not.  I'm a Native American and the name does not offend me.  Everybody likes to get butt hurt over something and this is a pointless exercise that serves absolutely no purpose, but to satisfy the taste buds of political correctness activists.

What % Native are you?

1/32

Lol.

This. Jeff, you're ridculous.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2014, 04:27:24 PM »

I think the fact that I get and actively use Indian health care and am invited to many of their celebrations (even though I don't attend) than I am kind of tied to the Indians.  If I didn't use Indian health care, I would probably consider myself a plain old Caucasian American.

Now, to affirm what you said, whenever I answer questions about my ethnicity, I always answer Caucasian not Native American unless it is a Native American-focused questionnaire.  The reason for that, is that, yeah, I look like a plain jane, white American.  I make verbal mention of my heritage if asked, but I very rarely give written mention.

And not three posts earlier you loudly proclaim your "Native American" status as cred for your opinion on this subject.

Re dunck u lis.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2014, 01:28:43 AM »

THE TEAM THAT SHALL NOT BE NAMED
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2014, 01:29:45 PM »

I've come to the conclusion that it should be changed:

to Los Angeles! Grin
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2014, 01:38:42 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2014, 01:43:57 PM by traininthedistance »

Agree with Harry. I don't have a problem with respectful and appropriate use of ethnic groups as team mascots in general, or even with Native American imagery specifically (though one can reasonably argue that it's harder to be "respectful and appropriate" with historically oppressed groups).

But R******s is just such an antiquated, blatant, and obvious slur. It cannot and should not be compared to any of the other examples that get thrown around here.  Sorry, DemPGH, if you can't see it that only means you need new (metaphorical) glasses.

Also, they're a division rival so I wanna watch them squirm.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2014, 04:05:43 PM »

Ah, now we're to the root of it. Tongue Giants fan, I'm 99% sure. You're not a Philly fan?

Nah, I guess this is one of those things that just doesn't catch my metaphorical radar. With the team's history, I think the name has actually transcends a purely Native reference in addition to that it never reinforced a negative to me.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2014, 04:58:17 PM »

Ah, now we're to the root of it. Tongue Giants fan, I'm 99% sure. You're not a Philly fan?

Nah, I guess this is one of those things that just doesn't catch my metaphorical radar. With the team's history, I think the name has actually transcends a purely Native reference in addition to that it never reinforced a negative to me.

Indeed. Wide Right was one of my first, and most cherished, childhood memories.  But then Ray Handley was one of my second.

I actually picked up on rooting for the Phillies during the years I lived there, but would never switch my football allegiance.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies