Democratic Congressional Candidate: Republicans Are Worse Than ISIS
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:11:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Democratic Congressional Candidate: Republicans Are Worse Than ISIS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Democratic Congressional Candidate: Republicans Are Worse Than ISIS  (Read 2397 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2014, 07:59:24 PM »

From BuzzFeed

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Keep it classy, Democrats!
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »

This thread is worse than #AIDS and we're only at the first reply.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 08:06:26 PM »

He should not have said that.

Anything else?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 08:08:44 PM »

I can't believe an Alabama sacrificial lamb Democrat would stoop to the level of stupidity and vitriol one would expect from an elected Republican United States Senator. It really should be beneath him.

He really should be ashamed.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 08:16:17 PM »

He should not have said that.

Anything else?

these threads are supposed to have a point?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 08:16:37 PM »

He's a sacrificial lamb, so it doesn't really matter what he says. And because he doesn't matter, what he says doesn't represent or change the perception of mainstream Democratic ideals to the majority of the voting population. He should be ashamed, though, yeah, and probably should apologise and/or resign his candidacy. Yawn.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 08:30:30 PM »

A Democratic congressional candidate in Alabama

there you go
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 09:13:08 PM »

In a certain narrow sense he's correct since the harm the so-called Islamic State does is not done here while that which the wingnuts of the Republicans would cause is done here.  That said, Jesse T. Smith is hereby infracted 5 points for excessive hyperbole.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 10:54:41 PM »

ISIS wouldn't even exist without Republican foreign policy.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 07:32:59 AM »

That's almost as dumb as what the idiot in the OP said.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 08:09:19 AM »

That's almost as dumb as what the idiot in the OP said.

I'm sorry, it may be tough to hear. If Bush and the Republicans hadn't decided to pick up Iraq, throw it against a wall, then put a few pieces of tape on it and proclaim "Mission Accomplished," they never would have opened the door up to this kind of civil war. And it doesn't take a genius to see that at least one group in any civil war in the middle east is going to take the religious extremist track.

Republicans could make the same claim about the U.S. intervening to overthrow Qaddafi under Obama. So far, that's turned out worse for Libyans in almost every respect, as bad as Qaddafi was.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 08:15:39 AM »

It's not tough to hear, as I don't like Bush or the GOP and think he/they handled Iraq poorly, but to say Bush the Lesser (or Rupblicans, or neocons or "the west" or whatever) is to blame for ISIS is stupid.  Might as well blame western Europeans for dividing up the place so poorly.  Or any number of things/people that had an impact on how that part of the world got to where it is today.  To single out W is shortsighted and reeks of personal biases.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 08:18:17 AM »
« Edited: September 03, 2014, 08:20:41 AM by Gravis Marketing »

It's not tough to hear, as I don't like Bush or the GOP and think he/they handled Iraq poorly, but to say Bush the Lesser (or Rupblicans, or neocons or "the west" or whatever) is to blame for ISIS is stupid.  Might as well blame western Europeans for dividing up the place so poorly.  Or any number of things/people that had an impact on how that part of the world got to where it is today.  To single out W is shortsighted and reeks of personal biases.

What you're saying, in essence, is that we're not allowed to judge Bush's decision to go to war in Iraq based on its consequences and alternate options. I reject that. To say "water under the bridge" and refuse to examine it is the real shortsighted decision because it means we will make a similar mistake that much sooner and cause another disaster.

I am sure I am biased. I ask you to consider that I would judge the intervention in Libya under Obama by the same standard.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 08:27:11 AM »

If in 10 years you're still blaming Obama for any and all shenanigans going on in Libya you'd be wrong too.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 08:48:58 AM »

If in 10 years you're still blaming Obama for any and all shenanigans going on in Libya you'd be wrong too.

Nope, sorry, history doesn't have a statute of limitations. Hitler came to power 14 years after the Treaty of Versailles but you can trace his rise, and everything that followed, directly to Clemenceau and Lloyd George's decisions in 1919.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 08:49:59 AM »

So Lloyd George is responsible for the holocaust?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 09:08:28 AM »
« Edited: September 03, 2014, 09:53:13 AM by Gravis Marketing »

So Lloyd George is responsible for the holocaust?

dead0man, here's the original post you replied to:

"ISIS wouldn't even exist without Republican foreign policy."

Not "The Republican Party and George W. Bush are responsible for ISIS's actions."

You can trace from Point A to Point B, and not to Point C, easily. You can conceive of what would have happened if the initial decision hadn't been made. In those cases, you may or may not have had an Iraqi Civil War, you may have had additional atrocities by Hussein, but you would have had a good chance of avoiding the unending civil war and breakup of states that did happen because of Bush's approach to foreign policy and was pretty much inevitable after you replaced a strong (if malevolent) state with a power vacuum.

Finally, while I think there are too many variables to say that the Treaty of Versailles would cause a genocide against Europe's Jews, what I really had in mind was the settlement leading to a second war and German tanks in France. 

eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 09:14:52 AM »

Republicans could make the same claim about the U.S. intervening to overthrow Qaddafi under Obama. So far, that's turned out worse for Libyans in almost every respect, as bad as Qaddafi was.

But Qaddafi promised to exterminate almost his entire population. So what is really worse?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 09:30:46 AM »

What a f(inks)ing stupid last line in the OP. It says "Keep it classy Democrats!" hence plural but quotes only one Democrat. It's duch extreme illogic the entire post is utter garbage.vwhy should I take anything you say seriously cinyc after that?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 09:35:14 AM »

To be fair, don't we all hear this line when some GOP sacrificial lamb, or at worst some committeeman or back-bencher state rep, says something execrable? For that matter, can anyone truly judge even a substantial portion of the GOP by Steve Stockman or Louis Gohmert? Granted, sometimes it's by more notable individuals, but still, the rule of don't judge an entire party by one dillweed's obnoxious statement should apply equally, no?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 09:55:47 AM »

But Qaddafi promised to exterminate almost his entire population. So what is really worse?

It's not clear to me we can put "Qaddafi to exterminate almost his entire population" on one side of the scale, and "the civil war we actually got" on the other side. We really don't know what would have happened--killing 90% of his country sounds highly unlikely but it could have been continued slaughter or, as happened in Nigeria, someone in his inner circle staging a coup that at least keeps stability.

I remember how Qaddafi was acting and I agreed that we should get him out of there. What we have seen is chaos resulting from the vacuum he created, plus we gave incentives to every other dictator playing with nuclear weapons to ignore the U.S. when we say, just give them up and you'll be ok.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 11:22:45 AM »

Only a Democrat would prefer tyranny throughout Iraq to tyranny in part of Iraq. 
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 03:23:48 PM »

To be fair, don't we all hear this line when some GOP sacrificial lamb, or at worst some committeeman or back-bencher state rep, says something execrable? For that matter, can anyone truly judge even a substantial portion of the GOP by Steve Stockman or Louis Gohmert? Granted, sometimes it's by more notable individuals, but still, the rule of don't judge an entire party by one dillweed's obnoxious statement should apply equally, no?

Stockman and Gohmert are congressmen, elected with a majority. That guy isn't and won't.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 03:35:00 PM »

Republicans hold the U.S. Government hostage when it comes to the debt ceiling, by they are obviously nothing like ISIS.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 04:20:23 PM »

What a f(inks)ing stupid last line in the OP. It says "Keep it classy Democrats!" hence plural but quotes only one Democrat. It's duch extreme illogic the entire post is utter garbage.vwhy should I take anything you say seriously cinyc after that?

I don't know how many times I've read a post by someone with a red avatar pointing out something that some random Republican said, with their fellow red avatars thinking all Republicans think that and should be held accountable for that comment.  Heck, on the same day I posted this, someone posted a thread about what a Republican politician's unelected father said,  as if that is representative of anything other than what he thinks.  Yet, unsurprisingly,  I don't see you or anyone else complaining about that thread or calling it "utter garbage."

By Akin rules, the party owns what its candidates say. If the media wasn't inherently biased, all Democratic candidates would be asked if they agree with their fellow Democratic candidate that Republicans are worse than ISIS.  I'm sure there would be a few ultra-partisan Democratic candidates that would agree.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies