Is "purple state" the right term for a state...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:55:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is "purple state" the right term for a state...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: that is competitive due to equally intense polarity, rather than centrism?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Is "purple state" the right term for a state...  (Read 8646 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2014, 08:39:28 PM »

This thought was inspired by this article.

I keep hearing people say that "Georgia is moving toward the center", but in reality, this couldn't be further from the truth. The Republican half of the state (electorate) has jolted much further to the right than it was even 5 or 10 years ago, while the Democratic Party continues to move leftward - albeit at a much slower rate. The only thing pushing the state into what we call a "purple state" status is the changing demographics that will ultimately decide elections based on turnout and an incredibly small swing electorate.

I personally don't think states like GA and NC should be lumped into the same "purple state" category as states like OH and VA. How do you feel about this? What alternative term would you give to the states outlined above that are close but inelastic, and which states do you think would fit into this category (and which would fit the definition of a purple state being centrist and elastic)?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 08:53:59 PM »

Yes, I would say so. If I was describing a state with centrism I would say its a moderate state. A state like Virginia or Ohio is not moderate, but purple.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 09:18:45 PM »

Interesting question. Generally I've understood purple to mean it's a state where Democrats and Republicans both have a good chance of winning, rather than a state with a moderate electorate (although there is overlap.)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 08:22:24 AM »

Political polarization is extremely sharp in some states split nearly 50-50... like Wisconsin. Nearly half of Wisconsin thinks that Scott Walker is the greatest Governor in the State's history. Nearly half hates him. 
GOON
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 7.17

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 05:40:24 PM »

I've always understood that the term "purple state" describes a state that could swing either way in Presidential elections (hence, combining red and blue make the color purple.  There is your art lesson for the day, but w/e.)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 02:40:23 PM »

What states are polarized purple and what states are "moderate" purple?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 04:14:07 PM »

Some states are a bit of a hybrid of the two (Colorado springs to mind..I'd say its population is somewhere in the middle on average but there are significant ideological factions in both parties that skew perceptions of its overall "polarization.")

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 04:31:21 PM »

Some states are a bit of a hybrid of the two (Colorado springs to mind..I'd say its population is somewhere in the middle on average but there are significant ideological factions in both parties that skew perceptions of its overall "polarization.")

You could say the same about Ohio or Iowa. I think most purple states...at least in the Midwest are basically one or two big democratic city states surrounded by moderate suburbs and very conservative tracts of farmland, strip malls, mega churches, bedroom communities and trailer parks.
Angel of Death
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 03:29:20 PM »

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/swing-voters-and-elastic-states/
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 07:03:36 PM »

Polarized purple could be Virginia, while "moderate" purple could be a state like New Hampshire.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 02:39:09 PM »

Other than on a couple social issues the Democrats are moving right nationwide.
pendragon
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 05:19:40 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2014, 05:25:33 PM by pendragon »

Ohio, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Iowa, Minnesota and Nevada come to mind as "moderate purple" states.  Stretching the definition of "purple state" a bit, you could add Indiana, Montana, Missouri, Maine and Oregon.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 07:14:29 PM »

Overall, I'd say a state is purple if the end result is close, without regard to the deeper coalitions/dynamics but the OP makes a good point.

Polarized purple could be Virginia, while "moderate" purple could be a state like New Hampshire.

This is just like the "battleground" vs. "swing state" difference. Though more voters are becoming unaffliated, I still think their are more "battlegrounds."

Battleground/polarized: NC, VA, FL, OH, WI, PA
Swing/moderate: NH, CO, IA, NV
RTX
Rookie
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 11:06:22 PM »

I'd consider a purple state one where it's a coin flip between a generic D vs. generic R for statewide elections
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 03:14:14 AM »

Other than on a couple social issues the Democrats are moving right nationwide.

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 07:59:00 AM »

Adam,
According to me, a purple state is a state that is competitive during the presidential elections: Colorado, Ohio, and indeed soon Georgia.

THAT'S DEFINITELY NOT A CENTRIST STATE. Centrist states are different. According to me, centrist states= Indiana, Rhode Island, Delaware,...
illegaloperation

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 09:20:31 AM »

elastic purple states (examples): NH, IA

inelastic purple states (examples): VA, NC
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2014, 02:27:55 PM »

North Carolina is a major example of a ''polarized purple'' state.
KCDem

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 04:19:31 PM »

There is nothing wrong or funny with what he said, though the truth behind his words is quite sad.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 05:43:42 PM »

There is nothing wrong or funny with what he said, though the truth behind his words is quite sad.

http://politicalcompass.org/charts/us2012.php

http://politicalcompass.org/images/usprimaries_2008.png

Go to politicalcompass.org for a complete description of Obama's rightward movement if you want to read about it.

Obviously this is a very inexact science and Obama's move isn't indicative of the entire party, but the original statement is echoed here. In general, Democrats have been dragged so far to the right by the Tea Party. Some might argue that the party hasn't moved entirely, just Obama has for practical and/or political reasons, but the party aside from moderates in deep red states is mostly behind him. True leftists don't seem to speak against him loudly. The majority of Democrats (not in either of those groups) have moved with him.

What is spoken even more loudly to me is that the last election proves the polarization has little to do with the issues. The parties haven't been more closely aligned (nationally) post WW2. They (mostly Republicans) just don't get stuff done.

I think the Economist (or maybe Electoral-vote?) had an article a few weeks back that there have been more unanimous SCOTUS decisions than ever before. Polarization on the issues is just nonsense when a totally political supreme court agrees so much. Some states might have had some polarization increases but nationally, no way.

Both parties are far to the right of where they were in the 2000s, and Democrats may have moved further, but every time they budge, the GOP just moves even further which is why it seems big.

A bit off topic, but I did want to give input on that issue.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2014, 05:49:20 PM »

The idea that the most centrist candidate wins is such rank idiocy. I suppose Wisconsin voted for Johnson and Baldwin as Senators because they were so centrist? LOL.
DS0816
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2014, 06:03:48 PM »

The idea that the most centrist candidate wins is such rank idiocy. I suppose Wisconsin voted for Johnson and Baldwin as Senators because they were so centrist? LOL.

It's b.s. corporate media/party establishment "idocy."

Really, it's just a way to keep people in line.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 04:26:11 PM »

Yes
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 04:24:11 PM »

http://politicalcompass.org/charts/us2012.php

http://politicalcompass.org/images/usprimaries_2008.png

Go to politicalcompass.org for a complete description of Obama's rightward movement if you want to read about it.

Obviously this is a very inexact science and Obama's move isn't indicative of the entire party, but the original statement is echoed here. In general, Democrats have been dragged so far to the right by the Tea Party. Some might argue that the party hasn't moved entirely, just Obama has for practical and/or political reasons, but the party aside from moderates in deep red states is mostly behind him. True leftists don't seem to speak against him loudly. The majority of Democrats (not in either of those groups) have moved with him.

What is spoken even more loudly to me is that the last election proves the polarization has little to do with the issues. The parties haven't been more closely aligned (nationally) post WW2. They (mostly Republicans) just don't get stuff done.

I think the Economist (or maybe Electoral-vote?) had an article a few weeks back that there have been more unanimous SCOTUS decisions than ever before. Polarization on the issues is just nonsense when a totally political supreme court agrees so much. Some states might have had some polarization increases but nationally, no way.

Both parties are far to the right of where they were in the 2000s, and Democrats may have moved further, but every time they budge, the GOP just moves even further which is why it seems big.

A bit off topic, but I did want to give input on that issue.

LOL political compass "analysis". If you ever want to laugh, read their UK 2010 election write-up.
Spacephys02

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2014, 03:57:49 PM »

I would separate the states based on ones that I would consider swing states and others that I would consider purple states. Purple states would be ones like Ohio, Virginia, Florida, and North Carolina that are almost equally divided between hard-core Democratic base voters and Republican base voters and won't really move in either direction from election to election. Swing states would be ones like New Hampshire and Iowa where voters aren't very attached to either party and will often "swing" between the two parties, sometimes dramatically.   
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies