Sen. Gillibrand: I was sexually harassed by men in Congress
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:15:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sen. Gillibrand: I was sexually harassed by men in Congress
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Sen. Gillibrand: I was sexually harassed by men in Congress  (Read 5316 times)
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2014, 04:55:41 PM »

So let me ask you guys this........by refusing to name names, does this discourage other women from reporting this kind of stuff?  I mean she's afraid to report some guy because he's powerful, obviously.  So does that tell other women if you're up against a powerful guy you have no chance of getting justice?

I thought the same thing at first, but you have to realize that the U.S. Senate is not the average American workplace. She's not complaining that she was harassed by a male superior, because technically the Senate is a place of equals. Likewise, there's no superior to go to, no HR department to file a complaint with, and nobody who can fire the offending senator. So I can see why she would think naming names in this circumstance would do more harm than good.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2014, 04:05:17 AM »

So let me ask you guys this........by refusing to name names, does this discourage other women from reporting this kind of stuff?  I mean she's afraid to report some guy because he's powerful, obviously.  So does that tell other women if you're up against a powerful guy you have no chance of getting justice?

I thought the same thing at first, but you have to realize that the U.S. Senate is not the average American workplace. She's not complaining that she was harassed by a male superior, because technically the Senate is a place of equals. Likewise, there's no superior to go to, no HR department to file a complaint with, and nobody who can fire the offending senator. So I can see why she would think naming names in this circumstance would do more harm than good.

Yes, the voters can. Of course it's obvious that conservative voters in a deep-red States are perfectly fine with sexual harassment, but if there are Democratic culprits they might get primaried.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2014, 08:17:19 AM »

Yes, the voters can. Of course it's obvious that conservative voters in a deep-red States are perfectly fine with sexual harassment, but if there are Democratic culprits they might get primaried.

Everyone knows Democrats would never stand for this sort of behavior.  Remember how Harry Reid lost re-election after he referred to Gillibrand as the Senate's "hottest member" at a fundraiser.  And Democratic voters certainly never forgave Biden for refusing to let multiple women testify at Clarence Thomas' confirmation hearing who were able and willing to confirm Anita Hill's allegations.  Oh wait...

Note: This isn't a Moderate Hero post.  My point is simply that while the Republicans have definitely been much worse about, the Democratic party establishment is still largely a good 'ole boys club.  Sexism and an appalling apathy about sexual harassment are a problem in both parties (although again, the problem is worse among the Republican establishment).  A lot of these people are from generations that simply had very different (and often pretty appalling) views on women's rights.  Some of this in both the political and business communities simply won't change until these a bunch of these people age out (i.e: retire or die) and are replaced by younger generations with fundamentally different values about women's rights.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2014, 08:31:20 AM »

Inouye reportedly made the comment about her weight.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2014, 08:41:06 AM »

The comments that are being posted are disgusting.  Saying this is the reason why women shouldn't be in high office, that they can't handle it.  I understand why she didn't name him, she didn't want to drag a dead guy's name in the mud.  What he did was horrible, and history should judge him on that, but I understand why she didn't reveal it.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2014, 08:56:15 AM »
« Edited: September 22, 2014, 09:36:38 AM by IDS Emperor Maxwell »

This isn't the first time Inouye has sexually harassed women. In 1992, it was reported that nearly two decades earlier he basically raped his hairdresser. Pretty gross and despicable guy.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2014, 10:15:25 AM »

Yeah, Daniel Inouye was the furthest thing from a saint.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2014, 02:18:26 PM »

Another reason to support the great Senator Schatz!
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2014, 02:33:04 PM »

Another reason to support the great Senator Schatz!

I was waiting for someone to say this.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2014, 02:38:06 PM »

X, you actually believe that Reid should have been primaried because he said that Gillibrand was hot?

I wonder if it was someone other than Inouye, but Gillbrand, for whatever reason, decided to pin it on him because he's dead.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2014, 03:06:57 PM »

X, you actually believe that Reid should have been primaried because he said that Gillibrand was hot?

I wonder if it was someone other than Inouye, but Gillbrand, for whatever reason, decided to pin it on him because he's dead.

Where did I say that?  My point with that was that the idea that only Republican voters often fail to primary elected officials for engaging in sexual harassment is absurd.  I believe one poster implied that unlike Republicans, Democrats will primary elected officials over this sort of stuff and that was what I was responding to.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2014, 03:26:57 PM »

Where did I say that?  My point with that was that the idea that only Republican voters often fail to primary elected officials for engaging in sexual harassment is absurd.  I believe one poster implied that unlike Republicans, Democrats will primary elected officials over this sort of stuff and that was what I was responding to.
Alright, but I don't see what Harry Reid has to do with it. The fact that he didn't get primaried after calling Gillibrand "hot" is hardly proof that Dem primary voters don't care about sexual harassment.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2014, 01:51:49 PM »

Inouye, you dirty dog
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2014, 04:13:10 PM »

What he said was wrong, but it doesn't take away my admiration of him as a Senator.

I'm not just saying that because he's a Democrat - if Jon Huntsman or a Republican I liked did something similar, I'd say the same thing.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2014, 06:33:41 PM »

There have actually been three married couples (Connie and Mary Bono Mack, Andrew Jacobs, Jr. and Martha Keys, and Bill Paxon and Susan Molinari), plus of course James Buchanan and William Rufus King.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2014, 07:24:11 PM »

The whole pinning it on the dead guy theory doesn't hold water when you look at Inouye's history.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2014, 08:22:21 PM »

The whole pinning it on the dead guy theory doesn't hold water when you look at Inouye's history.

Or it explains why Inouye was the dead guy chosen to be pinned?   (Not that there's any actual reason to doubt it either.)
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2014, 09:53:33 PM »

Yeah, Daniel Inouye was the furthest thing from a saint.

Inouye really comes as awful post mortem
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies