LA judge upholds state SSM ban (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:19:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  LA judge upholds state SSM ban (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LA judge upholds state SSM ban  (Read 7413 times)
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« on: September 08, 2014, 09:24:15 AM »

The fundamental question here is - might there wisdom in what we have inherited that may be obscured in the myopia of the ideology and politics of the present moment?  The fact that the reasons for something may not be obvious or can be reduced to a simple legal formula does not mean it arises from ignorance or animous.   I see no reason to assume guilt of bigotry until proven innocence when it comes to those who have created and attempted to preserve an valuable institution, even if we come to the conclusion that a transformation of it may be necessary.

Here's the thing: if you think there is some fundamental wisdom in the state of affairs we inherited, you should be able to actually articulate that wisdom, right? But you haven't. Not only haven't you articulated it, you haven't even come close! Even if it's complicated, or non-intuitive, it would be instructive to hear your interpretation of the "wisdom in what we have inherited". But you've refused to give it, which makes it seem as though you're really trying to muddy the waters more than anything.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 02:13:17 PM »

I mean, I suppose that's the beginning of a stab at an explanation, though there's an awful lot of hand-waving preceding it.

So what are some of the potential implications of SSM that we should be afraid of? I know part of your answer will be that we don't know what they are and we should thus be wary about meddling, but humor me.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 02:27:23 PM »

Right. Homophobia is not "wisdom we've inherited from the past". It's just homophobia.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 03:28:35 PM »

I still haven't seen any of the anti-SSM apologists actually defend their view. They've just said, "Hey, sometimes tradition is there for good reasons, maybe we shouldn't change it," without having the courage to say that they agree with those reasons, what those reasons are, and why they're relevant to us today.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies