KS-Sen: Taylor drops out
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:34:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  KS-Sen: Taylor drops out
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
Author Topic: KS-Sen: Taylor drops out  (Read 24683 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2014, 10:13:59 PM »

During Bob Dole's time he was a certifiable conservative. He scored an 87 from the American Conservative Union in his last year (I can bold too).

LOL. Just because you can "also bold" the word "Conservative" in the organization name "American Conservative Union" doesn't emphasize that Bob Dole was conservative.

Here is an example, following your (strange) logic :
Susan Collins, Republican of Maine, has an American Conservative Union score of 28%.
(So since I highlighted the word "Conservative," in the organization that scored her ... well, that must mean she is Conservative. "I can bold too.")

That's in the middle... of Republicans. Thus, conservative.

I don't necessarily follow or agree with anything this Wacky Tea-Party-Leaning organization does (the American Conservative Union), but having said that :
If you say that Bob Dole was rated "in the middle," ... well maybe that would signal that he was more of a "centrist" (moderate) during those past political years. (Hmmm ... sounds logical.)
If you notice they rated Sen Ted Cruz with 100% ... the best score in their view ! Whatever.
But one thing I am positive about is that Sen Ted Cruz is 100% psychotic, and so this organization must fall into that same category of 100% dog feces.

Sure, Bob Dole made deals with Democrats, that doesn't make him a moderate like you suggest. I mean, Utah Senator Bob Bennett worked with Oregon Senator Ron Wyden on a healthcare bill, do you not think he's a conservative?

That's not the only thing I "suggested" in the information I provided. But on that note, moderates do have a higher tendency to "make deals" or "work" with a counter-part (co-writer) in the other party, to get things done.
Conservatives and especially Super-conservatives (like Mr Weirdo, Sen Ted Cruz) usually don't want anything to do with compromise. Can you imagine our nation with 55 senators rated as 100% Conservative, who don't budge .... this nation would have zero legislation.

Wiki says he is a moderate. That is strong evidence, as thousands and thousands of normal folk, scholars and political analysts (world wide) give information and input into such a widely recognized and accepted database website (especially on a high profile subject).
Also, I'm sure if you Google Bob Dole with the word moderate or centrist, and compare it to a search using Bob Dole and conservative, you would see a pretty sizable difference with information favoring Dole as a moderate.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2014, 10:20:35 PM »

I'll trust American Conservative Union more than your looking up in wiki buddy. American Conservative Union actually, oh I don't know, actually tracks votes.

Oh and with my bolding? I was making fun of you. Good to know you're too thick to get it.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2014, 10:22:27 PM »

According to The Green Papers, now that Taylor's out, there still are other candidates in this race besides Orman and Roberts; 3 to be exact including the Libertarian candidate. Milton Wolf lost to Roberts partially because of that vote split between the anti-Roberts people, so I would really hope Batson (L) and the others do the right thing as well and drop out. It would not only help the Dems in the long run for majority purposes, but take out one of the most partisan gridlocked Senators and end the near century GOP trend on this one specific Senate seat.

There might be a large number of drop-offs now among Taylor supporters/Democrats, but even though this is Kansas, it might actually help him in the long run if he agrees to caucus with the Democrats. If you take the last PPP and SurveyUSA polls and add the Taylor + Orman vote, Roberts loses by double digits, so a lot is at stake at who they vote for now.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2014, 10:47:29 PM »

The people of Kansas (rather than the legislature) have voted for a non-Republican for Senator in 3 years: 1912, 1930, and 1932. It would be amazing if after 82 years, 2014 joins the list.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2014, 10:50:04 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2014, 10:52:05 PM by ProudModerate2 »

I'll trust American Conservative Union more than your looking up in wiki buddy. American Conservative Union actually, oh I don't know, actually tracks votes.

Well congratulations ... you probably fall into that same small group of people (12% of wacky tea-baggers) who also believe in the American Conservative Union.
And I'm sure less than 0.1% of a World-wide internet user audience, would agree with you that the A.C.U. has more "trust" than Wiki.

Oh and with my bolding? I was making fun of you. Good to know you're too thick to get it.

LOL. Your point (or lack there-of) was mute, because you didn't even have the smarts to emphasize/bold the word "conservative" in a more meaningful manner. And the bold feature on this website is provided as a tool, for everyone to use ... not as a potted plant for you to stare at.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2014, 10:59:10 PM »

I mean, I still think Roberts is decently likely to pull it out, if only because, especially compared to Angus King, Orman sounds like he has no substance. At least Angus King had real positions on some issues.

I just read Orman's platform. http://www.ormanforsenate.com/issues
He's basically a moderate hero. "I OWN 2 GUNS BUT I SUPPORT BACKGROUND CHECK"

So he's basically a pinko commie by Kansas standards...
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2014, 10:59:14 PM »

The people of Kansas (rather than the legislature) have voted for a non-Republican for Senator in 3 years: 1912, 1930, and 1932. It would be amazing if after 82 years, 2014 joins the list.

Well strange things can happen. Though not 82 years, I was amazed that Obama took Indiana in 2008. I just couldn't believe this would happen. I thought "well Obama may get close, but McCain will take it with a small margin." Well I, and many others, were wrong. (Obama narrowly carried Indiana, which marked the first time a Democratic presidential nominee won Indiana since Lyndon B. Johnson in 1964.)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2014, 10:59:40 PM »

So a bunch of Dems flow to Orman and a bunch flee if he's really running as a centrist/won't say who he'll caucus with.

Flee to where?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2014, 11:06:25 PM »

So a bunch of Dems flow to Orman and a bunch flee if he's really running as a centrist/won't say who he'll caucus with.

Flee to where?

Phil acts like Kansas Democrats have never been forced to vote for a centrist before...
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2014, 11:12:42 PM »

Flee to where?

Phil acts like Kansas Democrats have never been forced to vote for a centrist before...

Yeah, I mean don't they usually have to end up voting for full-on right-wingers?
Panda Express

« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2014, 11:20:56 PM »

Hopefully Weiland in South Dakota follows suit and drops out leaving Pressler to battle Rounds.
NHLiberal

« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2014, 11:22:58 PM »

Hopefully Weiland in South Dakota follows suit and drops out leaving Pressler to battle Rounds.

That was my thought at first, but I'm not sure it's the same. In Alaska (where I'm still convinced the Republican is likelier to go down than Kansas) and Kansas, the indy was way ahead of the Dem in polling and fairing much better against the incumbent in a 2-way matchup. I'm not sure that's the same in SD, especially with Weiland gradually improving and Rounds gradually declining yet Pressler staying separate. It might be better if Pressler dropped out, though it'd still be likely R.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2014, 11:32:47 PM »

This all may be a bit premature.  According to The Hill, it's not clear that Taylor can just withdraw his name from the ballot without a particular legally acceptable reason or that the Democrats don't have to nominate someone in his place.  So it's possible Taylor's name will be on the ballot or Democrats will have to name someone else.  The Kansas Secretary of State is looking into it.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2014, 11:33:33 PM »

Some other big news. Sam Wang, the same guy who predicted every Senate race in 2012 including North Dakota and Montana, gives Orman an 85% probability of beating Roberts with much higher chances at a Democratic majority.

Assuming he does win as PPP indicates and he does caucus with Dems which his views and his anti-extremism indicates, the GOP would need 7 seats to flip the Senate. With Michigan out of grasp, that's very unlikely.

I love how Roberts is responding to this - he's just flat-out going with the old "Orman's an Obama liberal!!!" to try and save his seat. Roberts could really be done for! The Tea Party hates him over the residency issue, and statewide, most moderate Kansans hate him. It's just a matter of getting enough name ID for Orman to rally enough anti-Roberts voters to vote for him and win.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2014, 11:36:37 PM »

That's not going to happen.  According to the South Dakota Secretary of State's calendar, the last day for a candidate to withdraw his name from the ballot was August 5.  Absentees will start to go out in two weeks and may already have been printed.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2014, 01:00:04 AM »

Vice-versa is more likely.

Re: Kansas, evveryone knows Brownback and Roberts will be easily re-elected.. DUH!! Roll Eyes
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2014, 01:26:55 AM »

I+1

2014 is the right climate in KS to get rid of Roberts.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2014, 05:01:28 AM »

So they will stay home and help for sure the GOP rather than voting for Orman and accepting the possibility that he'll join a GOP majority.

Right.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2014, 05:24:57 AM »

Plenty of (actual) right-wing Democrats will vote for Roberts.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2014, 05:33:23 AM »

Vice-versa is more likely.

Re: Kansas, evveryone knows Brownback and Roberts will be easily re-elected.. DUH!! Roll Eyes

Just like Sarkozy did.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2014, 05:56:08 AM »

Wow! Did not expect this. With Taylor out of the race, that leaves us with the second race without any democrat (after Alabama) and Orman is a serious candidate. Will have to see a poll before we make any assumptions, anything can happen now.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2014, 07:08:38 AM »

So they will stay home and help for sure the GOP rather than voting for Orman and accepting the possibility that he'll join a GOP majority.

Right.

Ok, I actually meant to write a bunch of Orman backers will flee. I obviously didn't mean that Dems would vote for a conservative Republican over a centrist. Everyone can calm down now. Roll Eyes
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2014, 08:26:20 AM »

Yeah, Orman may look in good shape now; but how will he manage when a hundred superPACS head into Kansas calling him a tool of the Reid-Obama agenda?

Although national Republicans must be furious at Roberts for diverting resources from their potential pickups.  He'll probably be pushed out next cycle, if he survives this round.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2014, 10:24:26 AM »

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/216603-legal-questions-complicate-democrats-exit-from-kansas-senate
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2014, 11:04:23 AM »

McCaskill encouraged Taylor to drop out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies