KS-Sen: Taylor drops out
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:11:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  KS-Sen: Taylor drops out
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15
Author Topic: KS-Sen: Taylor drops out  (Read 24670 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: September 05, 2014, 12:01:03 PM »

I think blaming the Kansas SoS here is wrong. If the KS election law explicitely says that you can only step down as candidate by notifying the SoS that you are unable to serve if elected, then Krobach is only acting according to the law. It's his job.

You should rather expect the Taylor campaign to be smart enough to know the election law and they should have put the "unable to serve" thing into his letter.

Except the letter Taylor wrote was written with the assistance of the Secretary of State's office, implying the Secretary of State knowingly deceived the Taylor campaign.

This, and also just try to imagine how Kobach would be acting if the situation was reversed and it was to benefit Republicans.

Don't try to reason with them Phil, guys.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #126 on: September 05, 2014, 12:03:56 PM »

I think blaming the Kansas SoS here is wrong. If the KS election law explicitely says that you can only step down as candidate by notifying the SoS that you are unable to serve if elected, then Krobach is only acting according to the law. It's his job.

You should rather expect the Taylor campaign to be smart enough to know the election law and they should have put the "unable to serve" thing into his letter.

Except the letter Taylor wrote was written with the assistance of the Secretary of State's office, implying the Secretary of State knowingly deceived the Taylor campaign.

This, and also just try to imagine how Kobach would be acting if the situation was reversed and it was to benefit Republicans.

Interesting if true. In this case, the Taylor campaign would have a good chance of legal victory.

Hopefully it is resolved (Taylor's name taken off) before any ballots are printed.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #127 on: September 05, 2014, 12:17:19 PM »

Its much more likely that they consulted some mid-level bureaucrat in the office who got it wrong. I very much doubt the secretary himself was involved in the decision in any way.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #128 on: September 05, 2014, 12:19:50 PM »

Its much more likely that they consulted some mid-level bureaucrat in the office who got it wrong. I very much doubt the secretary himself was involved in the decision in any way.

Well, in that case the Taylor campaign should just send a 2nd letter to Kobach's desk with the "unable to serve after elected" thing in it and Kobach needs to accept (unless he's willing to be OK with his incompetent staff that doesn't know the election law of the state).
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #129 on: September 05, 2014, 12:41:26 PM »

I think blaming the Kansas SOS here is wrong. If the KS election law explicitely says that you can only step down as candidate by notifying the SOS that you are unable to serve if elected, then Krobach is only acting according to the law. It's his job.

Well, in that case the Taylor campaign should just send a 2nd letter to Kobach's desk with the "unable to serve after elected" thing in it and Kobach needs to accept (unless he's willing to be OK with his incompetent staff that doesn't know the election law of the state).

A good point indeed.
Just because it was not the SOS himself, any "mid-level bureaucrat" is an employee and a direct agent of the State, and thus their advice (and seal-of-approval) that "the letter was sufficient to remove Taylor from the ballot," could be enough to at least challenge the SOS ruling.

But also, courts and judges do not like plaintiffs (Taylor) who's defense is ignorance of the law.
Taylor and his people should have known the exact procedures and wording required for the withdrawal letter.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #130 on: September 05, 2014, 01:30:18 PM »

I think blaming the Kansas SOS here is wrong. If the KS election law explicitely says that you can only step down as candidate by notifying the SOS that you are unable to serve if elected, then Krobach is only acting according to the law. It's his job.

A good point indeed.
Just because it was not the SOS himself, any "mid-level bureaucrat"
It wasn't just some mid-level bureaucrat, it was the assistant secretary of state himself, Brad Bryant.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #131 on: September 05, 2014, 02:29:11 PM »

A good point indeed.
It wasn't just some mid-level bureaucrat, it was the assistant secretary of state himself, Brad Bryant.

It's the old good cop, bad cop routine.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #132 on: September 05, 2014, 02:49:45 PM »

A good point indeed.

Wow. I would think the courts will definitely at least hear the plea.
But it must happen very soon ... time is running out !
Does anyone know if an official complaint/petition has been issued to a court of law yet ?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #133 on: September 05, 2014, 03:38:01 PM »

Meet Pat Roberts' new campaign manager.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #134 on: September 05, 2014, 04:08:08 PM »

Oh no! The Dems new favorite last hope just flew out the window. But don't worry: HILLARY WILL STILL WIN THE STATE BY 12 IN 2016!!!!!

Are you all right Phil? You seem a bit tense these last days.

I'd ask how you're feeling but you keep on chugging with your usual troll ways so all is normal on that front.

Well, that post certainly disproves allegation of tenseness. Roll Eyes

Seriously Phil, be safe. Most of your recent posts conjure the image of flecks of spittle as you speak, a rapid eye twitch, and a throbbing forehead vein forcasting an aneurysm.

No, they really don't. And calling out px, a well established troll, isn't proof of tenseness.

Honestly, your "poke the bear" response to me is just as bad as his. You did it in two posts in a row and you frequently do it, too. Please don't feel the need to respond to each of my posts with your not-so-subtly hostile commentary. Your complaint is that my posts are tense...and then you go on in unnecessary, exaggerated detail about how I'm acting like a person that is literally asylum-bound. I'm kindly asking that you tone it down.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #135 on: September 05, 2014, 04:29:30 PM »

Oh no! The Dems new favorite last hope just flew out the window. But don't worry: HILLARY WILL STILL WIN THE STATE BY 12 IN 2016!!!!!

I'd ask how you're feeling but you keep on chugging with your usual troll ways so all is normal on that front.

Seriously Phil, be safe. Most of your recent posts conjure the image of flecks of spittle as you speak, a rapid eye twitch, and a throbbing forehead vein forcasting an aneurysm.

No, they really don't. And calling out px, a well established troll, isn't proof of tenseness.

Honestly, your "poke the bear" response to me is just as bad as his. You did it in two posts in a row and you frequently do it, too. Please don't feel the need to respond to each of my posts with your not-so-subtly hostile commentary. Your complaint is that my posts are tense...and then you go on in unnecessary, exaggerated detail about how I'm acting like a person that is literally asylum-bound. I'm kindly asking that you tone it down.

Keystone,
Not only was Landslide's "analysis" correct on his initial call on you, but Badger was also right-on-the-money, to isolate your second comment and find it equally as "strange." And now myself, as a third independent individual, I need to admit that ALL your responses (starting from the very first), do seem to indicate something like "tense," "irritated" or "angry-at-the-world."

And I am not picking on you. I don't think I have had conversation (directly) with you on any topic in the past. Seriously, you need to chill.
Take a big breathe, and read your responses. They get worse and worse, and more "tense" as you continue. My suggestion is just let it go.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #136 on: September 05, 2014, 04:34:26 PM »

Keystone,
Not only was Landslide's "analysis" correct on his initial call on you, but Badger was also right-on-the-money, to isolate your second comment and find it equally as "strange." And now myself, as a third independent individual, I need to admit that ALL your responses (starting from the very first), do seem to indicate something like "tense," "irritated" or "angry-at-the-world."

And I am not picking on you. I don't think I have had conversation (directly) with you on any topic in the past. Seriously, you need to chill.
Take a big breathe, and read your responses. They get worse and worse, and more "tense" as you continue. My suggestion is just let it go.

My post had nothing to do with either of them and px started the troll routine with the sarcastic, "Are you ok?" question. And those two aren't two "independent" sources to judge my character.

My response here was a joke "Hillary will win by 12 in 2016!" comment that many people (px and Badger included) make on a variety of topics, jabbing the opposition. There was literally nothing in that post that was "angry at the world." My subsequent responses were to Badger, who compared me to an actually insane person. I'd advise you to re-read that and ask yourself who is out of line. 
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #137 on: September 05, 2014, 04:37:52 PM »

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #138 on: September 05, 2014, 04:51:43 PM »

Right. I know it is easier to rag on someone and claim to be an "independent" judge of the situation while ignoring other points.

I simply and kindly asked that Badger scale back his comments about me acting like an unstable, physical menace and we can move on.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #139 on: September 05, 2014, 06:33:49 PM »

You made two silly attempted bullying posts; I made two responses. Issue? Huh

I hadn't considered the prospect of you going to the asylum....until now. Shocked

Please Phil, it's just a midterm Senate race in a state over 1500 miles away. Please don't do anything .......hasty.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2014, 06:41:10 PM »

Haha wow. You took my posts as "bullying" (only one of which was even remotely personal and still nothing like your very personal attacks thus far) and I'm the one taking things too serious here? Ok, my friend!

KCDem

« Reply #141 on: September 05, 2014, 10:32:29 PM »

Quit arguing, no one cares whose feelings were hurt. Let's continue our discussion on how badly Roberts will be demolished.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #142 on: September 06, 2014, 06:14:23 AM »

@Badger: While Phil's posting style is often too intense for my taste, I think he has a point here (assuming he didn't misinterpret your post).  Maybe you weren't implying he 's mentally ill (I certainly didn't read your post that way), but if that's the case then you should clarify for him since he seems to have taken it that way.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #143 on: September 06, 2014, 04:14:21 PM »

There was a debate today...

Coming from someone who thinks Davis won the Gubernatorial debate, I think Roberts won this one. He sounded in control and was incredibly successful in tying Obama to Orman. Lost count of the number of times Orman said "I agree with the Senator."

Democrats will start losing enthusiasm for Orman and Republicans will get more enthusiastic for Roberts as the election draws nearer.

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/yael-t-abouhalkah/article1716795.html
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #144 on: September 06, 2014, 04:21:00 PM »

Is there a link to the debate.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2014, 04:23:11 PM »

http://www.wibwnewsnow.com/roberts-orman-face-senatorial-debate-voteks/
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #146 on: September 06, 2014, 05:02:29 PM »

Orman's chances of actually winning are hard to say, but the real value here is that the GOP is now having to spend resources in what should have been an ultra-safe Senate seat in Kansas.  For vulnerable Democratic incumbents in other states, every little bit helps in such close races.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #147 on: September 07, 2014, 08:42:43 AM »

There was a debate today...

Coming from someone who thinks Davis won the Gubernatorial debate, I think Roberts won this one. He sounded in control and was incredibly successful in tying Obama to Orman. Lost count of the number of times Orman said "I agree with the Senator."

Democrats will start losing enthusiasm for Orman and Republicans will get more enthusiastic for Roberts as the election draws nearer.

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/yael-t-abouhalkah/article1716795.html

I think Davis will win and KS-Senate will be close, but I am starting to think Roberts pulls it out after all Sad  Maybe/hopefully Kobach will also lose.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: September 08, 2014, 03:25:48 AM »

From what I understand, the Taylor-camp now has ca. 4-5 weeks until ballots are printed and sent to polling stations and absentee voters.

How likely is it that a court rules before the ballot deadline and will there be appeals ?
KCDem

« Reply #149 on: September 08, 2014, 08:38:58 AM »

From what I understand, the Taylor-camp now has ca. 4-5 weeks until ballots are printed and sent to polling stations and absentee voters.

How likely is it that a court rules before the ballot deadline and will there be appeals ?

Apparently, it all has to be figured out by September 18. That was a date mentioned by the Secretary of State's office, so take it with a massive helping of salt.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies