KS-Sen: Taylor drops out
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:27:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  KS-Sen: Taylor drops out
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
Author Topic: KS-Sen: Taylor drops out  (Read 24497 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: September 19, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »

I guess they'll try to portray Orman as a rubber-stamp for President Woodrow Wilson.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #276 on: September 19, 2014, 03:51:40 PM »

Now, now, the only time that Kansas didn't vote Republican for Senate during either of their lifetimes was President FDR, which Orman must be a rubber stamp for.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #277 on: September 19, 2014, 04:15:07 PM »

Phil, please reread the thread. Kobach's office ok'd several previous primary winners to withdraw from the ballot using the same procedure Taylor followed. The letter of the law is broad enough that what he did was legal then, and set a binding precedent. Especially, you know, after his office told Taylor this would be sufficient to have him withdraw.

I don't understand what principle you"re defending here. There must be ways to cheer for your team without going all AggregateDemand about it.

Noticed Phil never responded after this.
He probably went back and looked at the details, and figured out how much of a scum-bag Kobach really was regarding the denial of Taylor's withdrawal.

That's true; I didn't respond since that was posted. In fact, I didn't post at all since this morning since I was at work.

I was not aware that Kobach allowed other candidates to withdraw under the same procedure.
Andrew1
Rookie
United States

« Reply #278 on: September 19, 2014, 05:21:50 PM »

How much more bullsh**t can this guy throw at this election?

Kobach said he was extending the deadline for sending overseas military ballots to 27th Sept, by seeking a waiver of the MOVE act, but he apparently did not seek such a waiver.

Now he is saying he will send out those ballots on time without any Democrat listed, but include a warning to voters that their ballot may not be counted.

Plus there are reports that 67 ballots have already been sent out with Chad Taylor's name on them, the same day the Court clearly ordered him not to do that.

This is a massive abuse of power. Kansas voters should dump this guy in November.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #279 on: September 22, 2014, 07:21:29 PM »

Dr. Milton Wolf (the guy who ran against and almost defeated Pat Roberts in the primary) SLAMS the Kansas GOP's embarrassing and pathetic campaign of non-stop negativity: https://twitter.com/miltonwolfmd

You must be logged in to read this quote.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #280 on: September 22, 2014, 09:09:40 PM »

Dr. Milton Wolf (the guy who ran against and almost defeated Pat Roberts in the primary) SLAMS the Kansas GOP's embarrassing and pathetic campaign of non-stop negativity: https://twitter.com/miltonwolfmd

lol, is that a wink and a nudge to his supporters to support Orman?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #281 on: September 22, 2014, 09:33:30 PM »

Let's hope so. An Orman-Taylor-Wolf election eve unity rally would be fantastic!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #282 on: September 24, 2014, 06:02:30 AM »

Kansas Supreme Court Sends Orel Lawsuit to District Court

The twists and turns in the Kansas Senate race would make a great political thriller book or movie. Very briefly, when the Democratic nominee withdrew, the Kansas secretary of state, Kris Kobach (R) refused to take his name off the ballot, but the Kansas Supreme Court ordered him to do so. Then David Orel, the father of an aide to Gov. Sam Brownback (R-KS), filed a suit to force the Democratic Party to name a replacement. The idea here is having any Democrat on the ballot, no matter how obscure, would siphon off votes from independent Greg Orman, who might actually beat Sen. Pat Roberts (R-KS).

Now the Kansas Supreme Court has ordered the case to be first heard in the Shawnee County District Court. That could take weeks. Only then would it come back to the state Supreme Court, by which time the ballots would already have been printed and the case would be moot. In effect, the court's ruling is a win for the Democrats and a setback for the Republicans.

http://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2014/Senate/Maps/Sep24.html#item-1

Smiley
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #283 on: September 24, 2014, 08:40:57 AM »

I'd love to watch that movie
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #284 on: September 25, 2014, 06:55:32 AM »

Oy...

http://cjonline.com/news/2014-09-24/roberts-asserts-va-home-principal-residence-documents

U.S. Sen. Pat Roberts put a signature to documents associated with the mortgage on a Virginia residence that identify the Fairfax County home as “principal residence” of the three-term incumbent Republican.

The re-election campaign of the Kansan has been awash in controversy about whether his ownership of a duplex in Dodge City, which is rented out, and his payment of about $300 a month for a room in a Dodge City supporter's home satisfied legal requirements for public office.

On Wednesday, records surfaced that Roberts signed a Deed of Trust in 1997 and 2003 for property owned in Alexandria, Va., with his wife, Franki, that contained text about a principal residence.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #285 on: September 25, 2014, 07:03:21 AM »
« Edited: September 25, 2014, 07:06:28 AM by eric82oslo »

The two men tried to appear chummy: Dole calls Roberts “my go-to guy,” while Roberts calls Dole “a mentor of mine, a friend of mine, a brother of mine.”

But theirs is hardly a brotherly relationship. In late 2012, Dole personally urged Roberts to support a U.N. treaty banning discrimination against people with disabilities, and came onto the Senate floor in his wheelchair to plea for passage. Roberts, siding with tea-party-backed senators, voted it down.

“People thought, ‘Gosh, why couldn’t he have done that for Bob?’ ” said former GOP senator Nancy Kassebaum Baker, whose seat Roberts now holds. Among some prominent Republicans in Kansas, she said, “that just triggered an emotional disappointment with Pat. I think that carried on and has not been changed.”

“He’s basically furniture in the Senate, and the people in Kansas know that,” said national GOP strategist John Weaver, a former McCain adviser. “You could give the average Kansan 24 hours to come up with something Pat Roberts has done in the Senate, and after 24 hours, even the crickets would be standing there befuddled.”

On the stump, Roberts exhibits “this grumpy-old-man persona,” said Burdett Loomis, a professor of political science at the University of Kansas. “This is a classic guy who, at age 78, is running for a fourth term in the U.S. Senate and does not have any great rationale.”

As Roberts campaigned with Dole at a shopping mall in Dodge City this week, a man in the back of the crowd asked, “Can you tell us why Virginia would get three senators and Kansas only one?”

Roberts stayed silent and let Dole answer by noting that each state has two senators.

A great article today in Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/in-kansas-longtime-gop-sen-pat-roberts-faces-doubts-as-he-scrambles-to-hold-seat/2014/09/24/4d288dbe-4329-11e4-b47c-f5889e061e5f_story.html
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #286 on: September 25, 2014, 12:05:43 PM »

Not good for Roberts as this has been an attack against him both his primary challenger and Orman's campaign.

http://cjonline.com/news/2014-09-24/roberts-asserts-va-home-principal-residence-documents
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #287 on: September 25, 2014, 11:01:17 PM »

Wolf might endorse Orman but only if Orman publicly commits to caucusing with the GOP. Orman seems skittish on both the commitment and meeting.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #288 on: September 25, 2014, 11:05:19 PM »

If this happens, it would be a welcome suprise, especially since Orman potentially caucusing with Republicans would take Kansas off the map. Still, it does seem unlikely that we'll see any of this come to fruition.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #289 on: September 25, 2014, 11:37:12 PM »

Hmmm, I guess Wolf just isn't a true believer like Chris McDaniel.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #290 on: September 26, 2014, 02:01:47 AM »

Kobach now badly wants to speed up the lawsuit process:

Kobach intervenes in Kansas Senate election dispute

http://www.kansascity.com/news/government-politics/election/article2240672.html
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #291 on: September 26, 2014, 02:10:12 AM »

Let's assume the replacement-lawsuit reaches the KS Supreme Court again in early October and the court then rules that the KS Dem. Party needs to pick a replacement candidate.

Does the KS election law say that the KS Dem. Party can pick any random person as their candidate ?

Or does this person have to be a registered Democrat ?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #292 on: September 26, 2014, 02:20:00 AM »

Let's assume the replacement-lawsuit reaches the KS Supreme Court again in early October and the court then rules that the KS Dem. Party needs to pick a replacement candidate.

Does the KS election law say that the KS Dem. Party can pick any random person as their candidate ?

Or does this person have to be a registered Democrat ?

The best solution would be appointing a hardcore dying Democrat willing to be nominated. Death is an accepted withdrawal reason.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #293 on: September 26, 2014, 07:30:04 AM »

I feel like this has potential to backfire, since this seems very petulant of Wolf to do this.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #294 on: September 26, 2014, 10:17:21 AM »

Not only that but if I was Orman I'd want Wolf to stay as away as possible from me. He is a creep and an idiot.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #295 on: September 26, 2014, 10:19:50 AM »

I also don't think it would help with moderate Republicans.

And this:
Not only that but if I was Orman I'd want Wolf to stay as away as possible from me. He is a creep and an idiot.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #296 on: September 26, 2014, 10:22:30 PM »

I find this very strange a tea partier would endorse a centrist, clearly a personal blood feud thing
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #297 on: September 26, 2014, 10:26:01 PM »

Wolf won't meet with Orman; most likely no endorsement from him.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #298 on: September 27, 2014, 09:35:22 AM »

Well what I was actually referring to was the "string attached" that Orman would have to caucus with the GOP. If he were a true believer like Chris McDaniel, he would want the Republican nominee to lose and want the Republicans not to control the senate, as a way of sticking it to the Establishment.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #299 on: September 27, 2014, 09:59:48 AM »

Ball profiles Orman.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies