Who'll win in Kansas?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:32:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who'll win in Kansas?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Who'll win the 2014 Senate seat in Kansas?
Pat Roberts (R, incumbent)

Greg Orman (Independent)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: Who'll win in Kansas?  (Read 4233 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 03:30:18 PM »

Probably Roberts, but if so it'll be closer than any KS race has a right to be, and will divert funds from places like NC, AK, AR, etc.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2014, 03:35:01 PM »

Orman. Hiring a perennial loser as your campaign manager is a recipe for disaster.
NHLiberal

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2014, 03:37:44 PM »

Probably Roberts, but if so it'll be closer than any KS race has a right to be, and will divert funds from places like NC, AK, AR, etc.

And this is one case where the "divert funds" argument is actually valid. It usually isn't because if it's diverting funds for one party, it's diverting funds for the other party, but since national Democrats can't/won't spend money on Orman, this would really only hurt the Republicans.
Unimog
Namibia

Political Matrix
E: -3.00, S: -2.00

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2014, 10:13:29 AM »

Right now still Roberts, the situation is still developing. To immediately jump on board with the notion that Orman will win is very premature.

I think Roberts will win 7 - 10 %.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2014, 04:23:44 PM »

Living in Kansas and being quite politically involved here, I'm thinking Orman will pull off an upset win. Head to head, PPP has him 10% up on Roberts, but with Taylor still on the ballot I worry. It depends how the ballot name challenge goes. If Taylor's name is removed or if Dems do well at GOTV for Orman and NOT Taylor, Orman will win. He still has pretty low name recognition, but he has resources like crazy. In the debate yesterday, he came out of the gate a bit cautious but then proceeded to hammer Roberts, who said "Harry Reid" 22 times and had to ask the moderator to calm the crowd. Roberts' residency issues will harm him in the end. Even Republicans here think he's out of touch.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2014, 04:28:39 PM »

If Dems do well at GOTV for Orman and NOT Taylor

Why would they be doing GOTV for a candidate who isn't in the race? Tongue
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2014, 04:33:10 PM »

Living in Kansas and being quite politically involved here, I'm thinking Orman will pull off an upset win. Head to head, PPP has him 10% up on Roberts, but with Taylor still on the ballot I worry. It depends how the ballot name challenge goes. If Taylor's name is removed or if Dems do well at GOTV for Orman and NOT Taylor, Orman will win. He still has pretty low name recognition, but he has resources like crazy. In the debate yesterday, he came out of the gate a bit cautious but then proceeded to hammer Roberts, who said "Harry Reid" 22 times and had to ask the moderator to calm the crowd. Roberts' residency issues will harm him in the end. Even Republicans here think he's out of touch.

Orman also agreed with at least half of Roberts positions, making his candidacy basically pointless.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2014, 04:52:54 PM »

I think Roberts will still win, but it will by only 2-3 points.  We'll have to see what new polling indicates in the post-Taylor race, but for now I will still say Roberts by 2, maybe  3 points.
NHLiberal

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2014, 05:00:42 PM »

How exactly does one support Collins over Bellows but Teachout over Cuomo?
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2014, 06:54:17 PM »

Can someone explain to me why this is even close?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2014, 06:57:38 PM »

Roberts is old and out of touch, has run a horrible/non-existent campaign, arguably doesn't really even live in Kansas anymore, and the teabagger Republicans in Topeka have run the state into the ground.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2014, 07:26:14 PM »

Roberts is the worst U.S. Senator up for re-election this year. He's done nothing.
backtored
Vatican City State

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2014, 07:39:47 PM »

Roberts by 7 or 8.
KCDem

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2014, 08:17:30 PM »

Orman by 15. It's going to be a blowout, folks.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2014, 08:17:54 PM »

Roberts.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2014, 08:51:59 PM »

I like the NSA and don't want to legalize pot. Those are Bellows' two major issues it seems. The fact that Bellows calls herself "Libertarian" makes me mad. Also, I believe Collins is a key liaison between Repubs and Democrats. With Teachout, part of it came from Cuomo's blatant corruption, and part of it because of Teachout's campaign focus. I'm a weird person, politically.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2014, 08:52:46 PM »

If Dems do well at GOTV for Orman and NOT Taylor

Why would they be doing GOTV for a candidate who isn't in the race? Tongue

I mean we have to tell voters not to vote for Taylor, especially if his name for sure remains on the ballot.
KCDem

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2014, 09:01:13 PM »

I like the NSA and don't want to legalize pot. Those are Bellows' two major issues it seems. The fact that Bellows calls herself "Libertarian" makes me mad. Also, I believe Collins is a key liaison between Repubs and Democrats. With Teachout, part of it came from Cuomo's blatant corruption, and part of it because of Teachout's campaign focus. I'm a weird person, politically.

Obvious troll position is obvious.

One doesn't like the NSA. One may find it necessary or useful, but you can't just "like" it.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2014, 10:40:59 PM »

ITT: people repeat pro-Collins talking points and not look at the actual campaign.
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2014, 08:43:06 AM »

From Orman's website

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So this math confuses me. Correct me if I am wrong. If Orman wins, Republicans would need to win 7 seats for him to commit GOP? 6 would then be a tie, and goes into wheel and deal territory, and 5 Dems would be in control, so he commits to Democrats?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2014, 09:11:06 AM »

Can someone explain to me why this is even close?

Brownback, Kobach, and Roberts are *all* polling in the mid-40s when they should all be easily over 50. Something's happening in Kansas this year following the purge of the moderates in 2012.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2014, 09:14:13 AM »

From Orman's website

So this math confuses me. Correct me if I am wrong. If Orman wins, Republicans would need to win 7 seats for him to commit GOP? 6 would then be a tie, and goes into wheel and deal territory, and 5 Dems would be in control, so he commits to Democrats?

With such strong Democratic support, I'm not sure that can be the case, though he could prove me wrong.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2014, 10:59:28 AM »

Is the GOP's control of the state House or Senate; or any of Kansas's federal Reps in any danger from the unpopular top ticket duo?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2014, 11:59:14 AM »

From Orman's website

So how serious do we think Orman is about not voting for either Reid or McConnell for Majority leader? If one party or the other wins a majority without him, that's an easy promise to keep since his protest vote for Heitkamp/ Murkowski (lol) wouldn't effect the outcome. But if it's D-49, R-50, Orman-1? Conventional wisdom says he probably caucuses with democrats in that scenario, and Biden's tie-breaker gives Dems control of the Senate. But that doesn't work if Orman votes for Heitkamp or some other Democrat besides Reid. Then it's McConnel- 50, Reid-49, Heitkamp- 1, and no one has a majority for majority leader, and Biden no longer gets to cast a tie-breaking vote because there's not a tie either.

It's a rather silly thing to say in the same breath as acknowledging that you might be the tie-breaking vote.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2014, 01:53:55 PM »

Is the GOP's control of the state House or Senate; or any of Kansas's federal Reps in any danger from the unpopular top ticket duo?
Republicans will have small losses in the House and Senate but will still have a commanding majority.

As for the Congressional races, none are in trouble. Jenkins will probably win by 10 points or so and that'll be the closest race.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies