Religious fundamentalist calls for non-believers to convert or be killed (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:11:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Religious fundamentalist calls for non-believers to convert or be killed (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Religious fundamentalist calls for non-believers to convert or be killed  (Read 3792 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« on: September 04, 2014, 11:39:14 PM »

It isn't apologism to claim that its bizarre to talk about converting an enemy under the pain of genocide.  Then again maybe ISIS must be annihilated but we have never  annihilated anyone that are not Native Americans yet. If that's not enough, they brought  conversion in as a sole condition of surrender. Maybe it would be cool if we were governed by Octavian or Richard II. But this isn't 1205 AD or 5 AD.

This. And "convert them or kill them" implies that the problem isn't their violence, but that they believe in the wrong god.

Yeah, this was the most disturbing part of his statement. Apparently if you can convert some ISIS militants to Christianity they're suddenly good people. Roll Eyes
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 11:43:04 PM »

It isn't apologism to claim that its bizarre to talk about converting an enemy under the pain of genocide.  Then again maybe ISIS must be annihilated but we have never  annihilated anyone that are not Native Americans yet. If that's not enough, they brought  conversion in as a sole condition of surrender. Maybe it would be cool if we were governed by Octavian or Richard II. But this isn't 1205 AD or 5 AD.

This. And "convert them or kill them" implies that the problem isn't their violence, but that they believe in the wrong god.

Yeah, this was the most disturbing part of his statement. Apparently if you can convert some ISIS militants to Christianity they're suddenly good people. Roll Eyes

Well, I imagine conversion would entail being "born again" and that, yes, they would suddenly be good people. I'd say he's actually being quite generous- most people would just call for the "non-believers" to be killed outright.

What an embarrassing mindset. Let's all hope Hitler wasn't "born again" 2 seconds before he killed himself.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 12:22:20 AM »

Well, I imagine conversion would entail being "born again" and that, yes, they would suddenly be good people. I'd say he's actually being quite generous- most people would just call for the "non-believers" to be killed outright.

What an embarrassing mindset. Let's all hope Hitler wasn't "born again" 2 seconds before he killed himself.

Now, I may be Catholic, but even I'm uncomfortable with declaring a large swath of the country's religious beliefs an "embarrassing mindset". And what you've said begs the question of whether you believes, for example, criminals can be rehabilitated?

If you judge someone by their religion as opposed to their deeds, you're a dumb. I don't care how many people believe it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies