Scottish Independence referendum, 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:14:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Scottish Independence referendum, 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: Yes or No?
Yes to independence

No to independence

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: Scottish Independence referendum, 2014  (Read 6197 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2014, 02:49:36 PM »

That and because my default position is always anti-nationalism. And I hate the SNP.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2014, 04:02:04 PM »

To be fair, a lot of No supporters are rejecting the Yes campaign as silly nationalism; while simultaneously being equally mawkish and sentimental over the Union.

I much prefer introducing myself as "British" rather than "English" (which sounds gross), which is literally the strongest personal reason I have for supporting No.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2014, 04:31:54 PM »

To be fair, a lot of No supporters are rejecting the Yes campaign as silly nationalism; while simultaneously being equally mawkish and sentimental over the Union.

I much prefer introducing myself as "British" rather than "English" (which sounds gross), which is literally the strongest personal reason I have for supporting No.
Wouldn't Wales remaining in the Union allow you to continue referring to yourself as British? Or is the term "British" rooted in the union between England and Scotland?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2014, 04:48:34 PM »

That and because my default position is always anti-nationalism. And I hate the SNP.

British nationalism is okay of course?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2014, 09:56:52 PM »

British nationalism is okay of course?

Of course not. I never said the Better Together people weren't generally irritating as well. I just don't see the point in giving a bunch of people I find insufferable what they want. Similar to my view of Quebec separatists, though granted Scottish nationalists aren't quite as bad due to that they aren't mostly Gaelic speakers who want to pass anti-English laws and discriminate against Anglophnes, but still a bunch I don't approve of. Also the SNP sucks and I don't want them to control a country for a generation while the Tories are greatly strengthened.

And as far as the North Sea oil goes, it really doesn't matter if it's almost depleted come to think of it, since the economic and technological progress in energy sources is obvious and oil isn't going to be the main source in 20 year. The Saudis and all the other Middle Eastern oligarchs might manage to make due since they can put their large fortunes into investments that'll keep funding them for a couple generations, but an independent Scotland isn't going to be quite on that level. What's it going to do once the oil doesn't matter anymore?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2014, 09:56:15 AM »

Wouldn't Wales remaining in the Union allow you to continue referring to yourself as British? Or is the term "British" rooted in the union between England and Scotland?

This picture should help make things much clearer:

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2014, 10:49:19 AM »

The Isle of Man and Channel Islands are not part of the United Kingdom? Huh Does that mean their status is analogous to Commonwealth countries, or is it even more complicated? Tongue
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2014, 10:52:46 AM »

The Isle of Man and Channel Islands are not part of the United Kingdom? Huh Does that mean their status is analogous to Commonwealth countries, or is it even more complicated? Tongue

Not tehcnically, no. But in reality British laws apply in  many aspects.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2014, 10:55:11 AM »

They are crown dependencies - self governing possesions of the crown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_dependencies
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2014, 11:52:09 AM »

More comparable to Bermuda or the Falklands than the Commonwealth.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2014, 12:19:32 PM »

They are basically tax havens.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2014, 12:31:14 AM »

Krugman is not a fan of Scottish independence, or at least not the Scottish "independence" that would seek to keep the pound and thereby have no say in its monetary policy:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah, yeah, NYT paywall.  These two grafs say most of what needs to be said.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2014, 07:56:44 PM »

I'm conflicted.  As an American I worry what independence means for the military capability of our most steadfast ally.  I frankly think the rest of the Union would be strengthened economically without Scotland.  On the other hand, I fully support self determination, devolution and question the legitimacy of the Union in the first place.  Were I a Scot, I would support a Republic.

Voted yes in the poll.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2014, 08:01:47 PM »

Krugman is not a fan of Scottish independence, or at least not the Scottish "independence" that would seek to keep the pound and thereby have no say in its monetary policy:

Who cares what he thinks?
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2014, 11:14:35 AM »

You are right. This debate is much more significant...

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=198462.new;boardseen#new

... and Scots are expecting anxiously the outcome.

ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2014, 02:14:38 PM »

Scotland are going to be have a significant surplus on the BOP, so I don't see why this will be a major problem for them. These things tend to be a problem if you have BOP deficit.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2014, 02:16:50 PM »

I'm conflicted.  As an American I worry what independence means for the military capability of our most steadfast ally.  I frankly think the rest of the Union would be strengthened economically without Scotland.  On the other hand, I fully support self determination, devolution and question the legitimacy of the Union in the first place.  Were I a Scot, I would support a Republic.

Voted yes in the poll.

Yes clearly (sarcasm).

Scotland are right now a major reason the British BOP doesn't look worse than it does, so no the British economy will be weaken by losing Scotland.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2014, 02:36:19 PM »

I think we in London should declare independence, rename ourselves "Boristan" and then annexe the Home Counties to build gigantic airports.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2014, 02:38:13 PM »

I think we in London should declare independence, rename ourselves "Boristan" and then annexe the Home Counties to build gigantic airports.

I am sure the rest of England would be delighted to get rid of you.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2014, 03:57:26 PM »

I know UK polling is generally derided by the Brits here, but have there been any polls done that indicate where unionist and separatist sentiments are strongest?  Any chance that just as Ireland split, there could be a Scottish split, if those in the two camps were both far more strongly insistent upon their positions?
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2014, 03:59:07 PM »

Is it possible that Scotland might adopt the euro as its currency?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2014, 04:19:25 PM »

Is it possible that Scotland might adopt the euro as its currency?

It is possible that if Scotland has to reapply for EU membership, the EU will not give them opt-outs for things like Eurozone membership.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2014, 07:18:39 PM »

Voted yes in the poll.

Yes clearly (sarcasm).

Scotland are right now a major reason the British BOP doesn't look worse than it does, so no the British economy will be weaken by losing Scotland.

A lot of social spending has been subsidized from England over the decades as I understand it. If Scotland has full control over their finances, they will have to make difficult decisions that the SNP was able to blame Westminster for.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2014, 07:51:40 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2014, 07:53:35 PM by shua »

I'm conflicted.  As an American I worry what independence means for the military capability of our most steadfast ally.  I frankly think the rest of the Union would be strengthened economically without Scotland. On the other hand, I fully support self determination, devolution and question the legitimacy of the Union in the first place.  Were I a Scot, I would support a Republic.

Voted yes in the poll.

Yes clearly (sarcasm).

Somewhat surprising given that median earnings are quite a bit lower in Scotland than in England (something like 20 vs 25 K).
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2014, 08:05:54 PM »

If "Yes" wins, how does this affect other independence movements? A shot in the arm, I assume?

Would Catalonia and Basque be next?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies