Scottish Independence referendum, 2014 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:23:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Scottish Independence referendum, 2014 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Yes or No?
Yes to independence

No to independence

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: Scottish Independence referendum, 2014  (Read 6225 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« on: September 04, 2014, 07:00:04 AM »

Yes without hesitation.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 08:28:49 PM »

I dislike nationalism and find the current situation - which is at least partially the result of so much mutual misunderstanding - to be at least slightly sad, but this really is just a matter for the Scottish electorate. It's their mistake to make (or opportunity to take). All the 'BRITAIN MUST STAY UNITED' and 'FREEEEDOOOOM' nonsense here is cringeworthy.

Still, Scotland is over half the non-English part of the UK and has the only major urban centres outside of England (sorry Belfast..). If they leave, the UK will de facto just be Greater England this would presumably influence the identity and character of the country?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 10:15:14 AM »
« Edited: September 07, 2014, 11:30:55 AM by politicus »

I've yet to hear an argument in favor of "Yes" besides "RAR RAR NATIONALISM!"

You cant have paid much attention then. Basically Scotlands political culture is different and a majority prefer a different societal model with - among other things - a much more developed welfare state than Britain is today.

"10 Reasons to vote YES for an Independent Scotland

Below is a selection of the most heard reasons, comments and opinions from Yes-voters. If you agree with most of these reasons then make sure you vote YES at Scotland's Referendum for Scottish Independence.

Move all powers to the Scottish Government
1. Taking Responsibility by moving all Governing Powers to Scotland

You would like to get the opportunity to move more responsibilities to a more local Scottish Democracy instead of accept the fate of Westminster's plans? With all the powers moved to Scotland, we can make a fairer Scotland.
Find out more: Scotland's Future and Scotland's Referendum   

Get the Government we choose
2. Get the Government we choose

The Tories are in power in the UK, although the majority of Scots have chosen the opposition. The Scots are outnumbered ten to one, so whatever government the Scots will vote for in a UK General Election, it's highly unlikely that a Scottish Political Party will ever be part of a UK Government representing Scotland's needs. With the rising votes for UKIP in England, our goals towards a fair and harmonious society will diminish even further.
Find out more: Scotland's Referendum   

Stop building Nuclear Weapons
3. No more building Nuclear Weapons

We should stop building Nuclear Weapons in Scotland, it is unethical and morally wrong. Under "The Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons" the UK expects all other countries to sign this agreement to disarm Nuclear Weapons, but has excluded itself. Under the treaty it continues to build more Nuclear Weapons in Scotland. If you believe in peace instead of war, let's stop building weapons of mass destruction and start caring for the people and the planet.
Find out more: Yes Scotland   

Scottish Oil in North Sea
4. Securing Oil Funds in North Sea

Scotland's Oil reserves are vast. Most of the revenue and tax made from Oil goes directly to Westminster. There are claims that Scotland will be one of the wealthiest nations in Europe if we become independent.
Find out more: Yes Scotland   

Scotland has the resources and finances
5. Scotland has the resources and finances

Scotland has the resources and finances to become independent. One of the early myths created by the No Campaign has been debunked and even the Unionists agree that Scotland has what it takes to become independent and the Scottish people will be better off financially.
Find out more: Yes Scotland and The Scottish Government and The Independent

Creating more jobs
6. Believing in the creation of more jobs

With an ever rising energy and electricity demand in Europe, Scotland could be one of the global leading suppliers. Scotland has many natural resources that allow sustainable energy for which more jobs are created. Furthermore when Scotland becomes Independent, many centralized services and offices, like Tax Offices, DVLA etc have to be set up in Scotland. This will create many jobs and jobs provide an income, which is good for the economy and beneficial for us all.
Find out more: Scotland's Future and The Guardian   

Benefits for Scotland and yourself
7. Believing in the benefits for Scotland and yourself as individual

Not only will there be more jobs, the future Government already has plans for creating better Healthcare and improve the situation for Pensioners and people with children. We'll keep the minimum wages, scrap the bedroom tax, etc.

More equality
8. Believing in a more equal wages

The difference in wage in London compared to Scotland for example is huge. This gap is growing and with the current UK Government the richest only seem to get richer and the poor becoming poorer. With a smaller gap between the highest and lowest incomes, there will be less jealousy, greed and more happiness if we're have more equal wages.
Find out more: Yes Scotland and Michael Meacher MP

Differences between Scotland and England
9. Believing that Scotland and England have opposite Political and Social views

We love Scotland and we love England. Why should both countries suffer from having to compromise political decisions to please both sides? Let's respect each other and go our own way. In doing so, we'll become better friends and neighbours then we are ever going to be in a forced political marriage."
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 10:52:46 AM »

The Isle of Man and Channel Islands are not part of the United Kingdom? Huh Does that mean their status is analogous to Commonwealth countries, or is it even more complicated? Tongue

Not tehcnically, no. But in reality British laws apply in  many aspects.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 10:55:11 AM »

They are crown dependencies - self governing possesions of the crown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_dependencies
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 02:38:13 PM »

I think we in London should declare independence, rename ourselves "Boristan" and then annexe the Home Counties to build gigantic airports.

I am sure the rest of England would be delighted to get rid of you.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 04:07:10 AM »

If "Yes" wins, how does this affect other independence movements? A shot in the arm, I assume?

Would Catalonia and Basque be next?

There are all sorts of speculation about this, I have even seen that the obscure Bavaria Party (big in the 50s, but got 2,1% in the last election), thinks this is a chance to reinvigorate their cause of Bavarian independence. Whether or not this "free Scotland" boost will actually amount to much is anybody's guess.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 01:36:55 PM »

Krugman is absolutely right, and I don't get why Scotland wouldn't want to create their own currency - it's not that big of a step after gaining political independence.

(before someone tells me I'm a hypocrite for supporting Euro, remember that I also want common EU fiscal policy)

They need to convince a large group of anxious fairly apolitical low information voters that it is safe to vote Yes. Getting your own currency sounds risky.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 11:05:12 PM »

Krugman is absolutely right, and I don't get why Scotland wouldn't want to create their own currency - it's not that big of a step after gaining political independence.

(before someone tells me I'm a hypocrite for supporting Euro, remember that I also want common EU fiscal policy)

They need to convince a large group of anxious fairly apolitical low information voters that it is safe to vote Yes. Getting your own currency sounds risky.

Something tells me the Scots are taking this a lot more seriously than typical low information American voters take their elections.

A large number of people who are estranged from the political process and don't normally vote are going to vote this time. Theses people - as well as many others - will go by their guts on currency matters ad other complicated stuff (most voters do, really).

Generally overcoming "the fear factor" has been SNPs main obstacle. Sticking with the pound is a necessary part of this.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 07:23:30 PM »

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies