McDonnells found guilty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:52:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  McDonnells found guilty
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: McDonnells found guilty  (Read 3934 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 02:30:29 PM »

Now any long time readers of my posts should know that I have no problem with a bit of light political corruption, to grease the wheels so to speak and ensure that politicians are adequately compensated for their work, but this is still hilarious.
OAM

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2014, 02:27:03 PM »

What did it do to his hair? He stopped coloring it. You can tell in the second picture, that's a dye job.

Yeah, I think so.

Sadly, at the place I used to work, his hair was a frequent topic of discussion amongst some of the employees.

Hey, why do you think we got such a kick out of talking about Blago here.  It's all in the hair man Wink
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 03:46:11 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2014, 03:53:57 AM by Ebowed »

The part of this story where Bob McDonnell signed off on a legal brief saying that his wife was some bat**it manipulative, crazed maniac and that she was guilty of everything while he was innocent is especially interesting in light of the fact that he got 11 charges while she only landed 9.

Edit- found source

There's also this, which is less relevant, but this snippet, I found worth noting.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2014, 02:03:44 PM »

McDonnell is set to be sentenced on Jan. 6 and his wife, Maureen McDonnell, will be sentenced on Feb. 20.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/bob-mcdonnell-virginia-governor-sentencing-recommendation-113533.html

Apparently it's being recommended that he serves 10 years.

It's not often I see politicians get sentenced, but when I do, I prefer they get a decade or more.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2014, 05:28:31 PM »

And to think this guy was considered a 2016 contender...
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2014, 05:44:35 PM »

And to think this guy was considered a 2016 contender...

Or a vetted veep for Romney.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2015, 02:57:48 PM »

Bob sentenced to 2 years in prison.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2015, 03:16:43 PM »

That's it?!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2015, 03:20:00 PM »

Disgusting.  Seriously disgusting.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2015, 03:35:32 PM »

Absolutely ridiculous. What a waste of a great life that this poor man has to go to prison.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2015, 03:40:26 PM »

Absolutely ridiculous. What a waste of a great life that this poor man has to go to prison.

Joking?

(dunno you well enough to tell)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2015, 03:50:44 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2015, 03:54:03 PM by smilo »

Joking?

(dunno you well enough to tell)

I am not. I hardly support prisons to begin with, and this is an excessive use of them naturally. (Cue the "we need a deterrent for corruption" crowd or even worse, the "every little thing needs to be severely punished" crowd). I also have my doubts over this being the proper verdict to begin with.

Someone wake me when the autocrats in the executive branch free Siegelman please. Or better yet, you will probably hear it from me in all caps on such a miraculous day. It may be coming sooner than even I anticipated if his daughter's last email is correct.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2015, 04:20:57 PM »

Agreed, just hit him with a massive fine and let him go. The imprisonment of people for "white collar crimes" is utterly absurd when our prisons are overcrowded as is.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2015, 04:22:00 PM »

First VA governor to ever be convicted of public corruption.

Well done, Bob!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2015, 04:40:41 PM »

Agreed, just hit him with a massive fine and let him go. The imprisonment of people for "white collar crimes" is utterly absurd when our prisons are overcrowded as is.

No, other way around. Let out the non-violent poors and put the white collar criminals in their cells.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »

No, other way around. Let out the non-violent poors and put the white collar criminals in their cells.

^^^
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2015, 05:38:36 PM »

Aaaaaaaanother Mr. "Next Big Thing In National Politics" bites the dust.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2015, 06:18:45 PM »

At least he'll spend some time locked up. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2015, 09:08:35 PM »

neither should be in prison.  At least it wasn't more - though honestly two years in the slammer is a long time.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2015, 11:17:08 PM »

neither should be in prison.  At least it wasn't more - though honestly two years in the slammer is a long time.

Why should people go to prison for stealing a hundred dollars but not a hundred million?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2015, 11:38:34 PM »

Why should people go to prison for stealing a hundred dollars but not a hundred million?

The one who steals a hundred can go back and likely steal again. The one who steals $100 million, however will have likely gained enough notoriety as to not pose a threat, at least not to the sort of organisations one can steal $100 million from (hence why this wouldn't apply to murders).

I was (obviously?) being a bit tongue in cheek, but does anyone think Bernie Madoff, for example, is that much of a threat to society? Who would do business with him? I'm skeptical he's dangerous enough to justify the state spending tens of thousands of dollars to keep and support him in a prison. It would be better, I think, to let him support himself with a job he can find- which would inevitably be rather menial manual work.

In some ways that would more punishing and degrading than being locked up, at the government's expense, with regular meals and a clean bed for the rest of his life.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2015, 07:25:44 AM »

The one who steals a hundred can go back and likely steal again. The one who steals $100 million, however will have likely gained enough notoriety as to not pose a threat, at least not to the sort of organisations one can steal $100 million from (hence why this wouldn't apply to murders).

I was (obviously?) being a bit tongue in cheek, but does anyone think Bernie Madoff, for example, is that much of a threat to society? Who would do business with him? I'm skeptical he's dangerous enough to justify the state spending tens of thousands of dollars to keep and support him in a prison. It would be better, I think, to let him support himself with a job he can find- which would inevitably be rather menial manual work.

In some ways that would more punishing and degrading than being locked up, at the government's expense, with regular meals and a clean bed for the rest of his life.

Major white collar criminals generally have some of their loot stashed away and/or a network in the more dubious part of the business community. They tend to get back in the game remarkably easy,
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies