Woman, mattress, rape, performance art (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:36:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Woman, mattress, rape, performance art (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Woman, mattress, rape, performance art  (Read 5265 times)
Foucaulf
« on: September 08, 2014, 12:58:22 AM »

It is pointless to separate the court of opinion from the court of law these days. Unless laws change, we mutually understand to take advantage of both.

I do think there has been some confusion on Sulkowicz's intent here - even if the name of the rapist is common knowledge, do we have proof that she decided to make the statement of her rapist on her own free will? And even if she did, which would be wrong, that does not imply her carrying this mattress around is wrong - in that she has not referenced her rapist's name while promoting this project.

My angle is that I cannot see why her doing this project is wrong, absent her restating the rapist's name again. Practically, I can see many reasons why she would be driven to do this - particularly because we live in a world where people are willing to dismiss any claim from a potential survivor as "lying". And a right idea of justice has to conform somewhat with what we are willing to do.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies