How would you advise Governor Martin O'Malley to defeat Hillary Clinton?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:39:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How would you advise Governor Martin O'Malley to defeat Hillary Clinton?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How would you advise Governor Martin O'Malley to defeat Hillary Clinton?  (Read 7042 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 05, 2014, 01:43:47 AM »
« edited: May 29, 2015, 02:29:12 PM by retromike22 »

Congratulations, you've just been hired as the manager for Governor Martin O'Malley's 2016 Presidential campaign!

What is your strategy?
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 02:16:19 AM »

If I were O'Malley's campaign manager and Clinton were also in the race, my strategy would be to do tireless opposition research on Clinton in hopes of uncovering a new negative story about her to use as ammunition. Perhaps her time as Secretary of State would be a good place to start researching (not Benghazi, but an unforeseen issue). Furthermore, I would also attempt to convince O'Malley to run very far to Hillary's left in order to gain momentum with the base, as it appears Clinton is currently focusing on maintaining her apolitical image, which could leave her vulnerable on her left flank. I'd also advise O'Malley to do a significant amount of debate preparation, in hopes of having him defeat Clinton in at least one debate before the caucuses and primaries. On that note, I'd also recommend that O'Malley rip a page from Obama's 2008 playbook and try to motivate his supporters to vote in caucuses, especially the one in Iowa, possibly providing an unexpected win that could empower O'Malley with enough momentum to topple Clinton. Of course, with an opponent like Clinton, those kinds of measures might prove to be for naught, but they would still be worth trying.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 12:47:31 PM »

Get a personality.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 01:53:03 PM »

Attack Hillary as being out of touch and in the pocket of Wall Street and really play up liberal credentials(gay marriage, tax on rich, tuition freeze, marijuana decriminalization,gun control, death penalty repeal) . Become the dove where Hillary is a hawk.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 05:42:14 PM »

He's an underdog no matter what. The main thing would be to figure out if he wants to run a positive campaign or a negative.

If he goes negative, he go scorched Earth. Hillary Clinton will not be happy with anyone who runs against her in a primary, so it's no going to change his odds of serving in her administration. But if he can drive her negatives up enough among the base, he could benefit as the likely sole viable alternative.

He could also run a positive campaign. Go on his record, with careful contrasts to Hillary Clinton. Talk about his own vision. Emphasize how he's different than the typical politician. Try to excite the people who don't typically vote in primaries, the strategy that helped McCain get noticed in 2000 and Obama win in 2008. The problem here is that if Hillary goes negative, it'll drive away the soft voters O'Malley needs, so he would have to be ready for that.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 07:39:15 PM »

If I were O'Malley's campaign manager, I would advise him to attack Clinton's record as Secretary of State with Russia relations. I would also attack her record when it comes to Wall Street, and also advise him to be more charismatic on the trail, but in my opinion, bland is a virtue sometimes.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 07:23:55 PM »

Get as much money as you possibly can from America's Millionaires and Billionaires.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 05:18:09 AM »

Attack her non-stop on all of her 3rd-way positions.

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 06:47:38 PM »

Race bait. The Clintons were kinda susceptible to it last time, so maybe he could get the media to spin in into a major story.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 08:04:57 PM »

@Harry: That was only because some the Obama campaign was susceptible to misogyny, and frankly trying that (race-bait accusations) would not have the same credibility anyway.

No,it'd be best to attack her hawkish foreign policy and economic tight-fistedness, also call her a flip-flop.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 08:06:56 PM »

Get as much money as you possibly can from America's Millionaires and Billionaires.

Clinton already takes all of that from Democrats, so he would have to have a super grassroots oriented campaign.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 03:03:37 PM »

Race bait. The Clintons were kinda susceptible to it last time, so maybe he could get the media to spin in into a major story.

Actually, it was Hillary Clinton's campaign that tried to win the nomination through race-baiting, not Obama's.  Fortunately, it blew up in her face multiple times.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 03:12:43 PM »

The media will certainly do whatever they possibly can to stop Hillary, but considering she still won the popular vote after pulling out all the stops against her, I doubt they'll succeed this time.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 04:00:07 PM »

if he consults me on anything important he's probably in over his head to begin with.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 02:45:35 PM »

I'm bumping this for giggles.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 02:59:34 PM »

if he consults me on anything important he's probably in over his head to begin with.

Best advice given here
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 03:13:00 PM »

Drop out and endorse Sanders.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 05:17:56 PM »

Find a sturdy 2x4 and go to town.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 06:36:27 PM »

Run on his record, and as a new fresh face. I don't buy into the "we can do better than the Clintons and Bushes" argument (if they're qualified to be president, it doesn't matter what their last name is), but it'll sell with voters, and he seems ready to use it in the campaign.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 07:47:47 PM »

The media will certainly do whatever they possibly can to stop Hillary, but considering she still won the popular vote after pulling out all the stops against her, I doubt they'll succeed this time.

#Calledit
#Accolades
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 07:50:38 PM »

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2015, 07:52:14 PM »

Would O'Malley's 1% support really be that much of a help to Sanders?
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2015, 08:40:17 AM »

BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2015, 09:01:03 AM »

I really don't believe that going negative on Clinton is the way to go here. Obama won in 2008 by running his own campaign. He really didn't go negative on Clinton, even if the campaign did have a few heated moments.

O'Malley actually has a few things going for him. He looks electable, he's a man, he is younger than Clinton, he is not a "Washington insider" and he has a solid liberal record as governor.

One of Clinton's weaknesses is that she doesn't always come off as authentic. If O'Malley can pull of liberal authenticism without appearing unelectable, then he's got a better chance of upstaging Clinton, than just about any other democrat.

Having said that, it is still a very very long shot and will likely only happen if one the of GOP fake scandals manages to stick on Clinton or if, lo and behold, they actually uncover a proper scandal.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2015, 09:03:14 AM »

The only way to beat Hillary is to prove you are more electable. Dems may agree with you more than Hillary on one or two issues but aren't going to risk losing the general over that. Not sure how OMalley can prove he will be better GE candidate but I would start with that
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies