Democratic & Republican Ceilings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:15:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Democratic & Republican Ceilings
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democratic & Republican Ceilings  (Read 404 times)
NHLiberal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 07, 2014, 04:00:26 PM »

There's been a lot of talk about each party's ceiling in the Senate elections, but what about for the gubernatorial ones? Here is my take

Democratic:

Republican:

Obviously the term "ceiling" is subjective and there's a lot of room for debate. My interpretation of a ceiling is a party winning every single race that is "competitive." For example, I consider Oregon, Minnesota, Maryland, New Hampshire, Ohio, Texas, and Nevada all to be "non-competitive"; in other words, due to candidate strength and other fundamentals of the races, Republicans would be unable to pick up Oregon, Minnesota, Maryland, New Hampshire, or Rhode Island, even if there was to be a massive Republican wave, and the same goes for Democrats with Ohio, Texas, and Nevada. What do you all think?

Interesting observation: In each of these ceiling maps, the losing party wins exactly 8 races.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 04:15:38 PM »

Democratic Ceiling.

I agree with your Republican ceiling minus them winning Hawaii.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 04:24:12 PM »

There's been a lot of talk about each party's ceiling in the Senate elections, but what about for the gubernatorial ones? Here is my take

Democratic:

Republican:

Obviously the term "ceiling" is subjective and there's a lot of room for debate. My interpretation of a ceiling is a party winning every single race that is "competitive." For example, I consider Oregon, Minnesota, Maryland, New Hampshire, Ohio, Texas, and Nevada all to be "non-competitive"; in other words, due to candidate strength and other fundamentals of the races, Republicans would be unable to pick up Oregon, Minnesota, Maryland, New Hampshire, or Rhode Island, even if there was to be a massive Republican wave, and the same goes for Democrats with Ohio, Texas, and Nevada. What do you all think?

Interesting observation: In each of these ceiling maps, the losing party wins exactly 8 races.

I'd take IA/OK/SC off your D map and HI/RI off your R map (but adding MN).
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 05:20:24 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2014, 05:24:14 PM by ElectionsGuy »

Democrats:

Net D+8, I+1. 28 D Govs, 21 R Govs, 1 I Gov. Really quite stumbled on whether I should include NM.

Republicans:

Net R+2. 32 R Govs, 18 D Govs. I was thinking of including MA, but that might be pushing it.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 05:44:03 PM »

If it truly becomes a wave, I think Oregon is possible in a Republican ceiling situation.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 02:23:05 PM »

Interesting discussion
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 03:44:24 PM »

The Republican ceiling (under reasonable circumstances) would be keeping all over their seats except Pennsylvania, with additional pick-ups in Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, and Massachusetts. Add one more race that currently seems safe/ likely Dem either due to gaffe or scandal.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies