Brown vs. Kashkari Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:51:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Brown vs. Kashkari Debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who won?
Jerry Brown (D)

Neel Kashkari (R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Brown vs. Kashkari Debate  (Read 2144 times)
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 05, 2014, 01:23:01 PM »

A.k.a. old bald guy versus young bald guy.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 07:47:14 PM »

Brown won, but Kashkari was tough.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 07:49:58 PM »

One of the exit poll questions should be for bald people only.
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 07:56:11 PM »

Kashkari dominated. Too bad that hardly anyone watches state-level debates and they don't matter either way in California.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 01:13:46 AM »

I had no idea there was a debate.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 03:24:57 AM »

I didn't see the debate, but I saw Kashkari speak when he came to UC Berkeley. He's extremely intelligent and knows how to market himself to a more liberal audience. Too bad he has no chance anyway.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 10:58:44 AM »
« Edited: September 06, 2014, 11:00:43 AM by President Johnson »

I really like Gov. Brown and I think he's done a great job, although many things remain unsolved (such as poverty). However, Kashkari was a lot more passionate than Brown in the debate. Kashkari made a solid impression to me. Even as liberal, I have to admit that he did very well in the debate.

Would Kashkari be a good governor? I don't know that for sure, but I strongly believe he has some real compassion about politics. Too bad that he will likely lose the election, because he is a good candidate for the Republicans. He should try again later, as governor or something else at the federal level.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 11:40:48 AM »

I respect Kashkari for most of his stances (even if they are like most conservative/regressive stances very shortsighted). He did well considering the circumstances.

But he was still no match against Jerry Brown who was clearly still at the top of his game,he clearly had a better understanding of the gravity of every proposal made, he only delivered punches when most effective,instead of making it the whole shtick.

Also I noticed Kashkari dodging a lot of the questions for talking points,whereas Brown tended to answer them (but not always,one can never expect that always with how these debates and how modern campaigning works)

Great sense of humor and clearly the guy could be an actual "compassionate conservative" if anyone, and he was much better than Meg Whitman....but that's it.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 11:58:59 AM »

There's no way either of them could have lost to a BALD guy.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 12:16:58 PM »

Kashkari won't win this year. However, he could make a good candidate for Congress or a lower statewide office in CA in the near future.
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 06:31:11 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2014, 06:32:58 PM by Joshua »

Kashkari won't win this year. However, he could make a good candidate for Congress or a lower statewide office in CA in the near future.

I agree. I could see him running for Controller or something.

The problem with Kashkari is that you need liberal support to win anything statewide. But when he was trying to out-left Brown on things like the driver's licenses for undocumented immigrants and his prop 8 stance, it just looked pretty desperate.

I'd say Kashkari edged Brown overall, but all Brown had to do was use buzz words like "Wall Street," "bailout," and "CEO bonuses" and Californians start freaking out (not that anyone watched it anyway).

Kashkari was way more energetic and enthusiastic. Everyone can tell Brown wants a fourth term for his legacy, and that bullet train is supposed to be it.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 09:51:35 AM »

I don't think there was a clear winner but if I had to pick a winner it would be Kashkari since he had better body language.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 03:07:32 PM »

I didn't see the debate, but I saw Kashkari speak when he came to UC Berkeley. He's extremely intelligent and knows how to market himself to a more liberal audience. Too bad he has no chance anyway.

California is a lost cause.  It's slowly descending into a banana republic.  The best thing you'll see in that state is the sign that says "Welcome to Nevada."
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 06:36:52 PM »

California is a lost cause.  It's slowly descending into a banana republic.  The best thing you'll see in that state is the sign that says "Welcome to Nevada."

And yet people keep coming there. And coming and coming and coming.....
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 07:37:11 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2014, 10:09:28 PM by MormDem »

Probably because it allows same sex marriage and, doesn't have batsh**t insane judges like Roy Moore, and has been fiscally far ahead of just about every other state.

Surplus of money with liberal Democrats (and Jerry Brown) in charge,while all the fiscally conservative states are in trouble.

It's no lost cause,even if Prop 13. threatens that, even if Arnold Schwarzeneggar and his "cut education/increase prisons" dual-ax ran the place almost to the ground, even if we let a few butthurt  corporatists recall a governor who won fair and square (ineffectual certainly,but fair and square).

But ironically 2010 was an excellent exercise in conscience clearing.
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 01:52:59 PM »

Surplus of money with liberal Democrats (and Jerry Brown) in charge,while all the fiscally conservative states are in trouble.

LOL! I think even Speaker Perez, being a super liberal Dem, was shocked with the fact they created a surplus. Go California!
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 04:27:40 PM »

I asked my aunt in CA what she thought of Kashkari, and she said he needs to come out of the closet already.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 10:16:03 PM »

I asked my aunt in CA what she thought of Kashkari, and she said he needs to come out of the closet already.

Well he does live in Laguna Beach, there's that ! lol.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 10:16:50 PM »

LOL! I think even Speaker Perez, being a super liberal Dem, was shocked with the fact they created a surplus. Go California!

"Fiscal conservative" is such a misleading term. Jerry Brown is the true fiscal conservative.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 11:04:55 PM »

Kashkari. Sadly, California is so far to the left that they'd elect a Democrat, even if said Democrat was Robespierre. He should have gained prominence by running for a seat in the House of Representatives.
GaussLaw
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 08:55:33 PM »

I think Kashkari could win against a more liberal Democrat if he/she pulled a Malloy, but he has no chance against Brown.

I like both candidates in this race and both seem like decent men.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 09:14:54 PM »

"Fiscal conservative" is such a misleading term. Jerry Brown is the true fiscal conservative.

So much so that most of the young California liberals hate him for it. Tongue
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2014, 11:31:35 PM »

I wouldn't go that far, everyone is happy with how the state has rebounded, people just wish he was more aggressively liberal on issues like recreational marijuana and pumping the surplus money straight to schools and higher education rather than a rainy day fund.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 08:12:57 PM »

I wouldn't go that far, everyone is happy with how the state has rebounded, people just wish he was more aggressively liberal on issues like recreational marijuana and pumping the surplus money straight to schools and higher education rather than a rainy day fund.

Why shouldn't there be a rainy day fund?
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 09:42:48 PM »

Why shouldn't there be a rainy day fund?

There should be a rainy day fund.

Special interests (teachers, construction, prisons, etc) are just putting immense pressure to get their legislators to spend the surplus money instead of putting it away.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies