Do you have a job or a career?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:55:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you have a job or a career?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you have a job or a career?
job

career

student

I'm a loser, living off of some other person's work...I should probably thank them more

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Do you have a job or a career?  (Read 1856 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 05, 2014, 11:46:44 PM »

I just have a job...it's a good job, but still, just a job.  I sometimes wish I had a career, but mostly I'm content with having a job.  I'm probably too lazy for a career anyway.

You may select more than one option.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 12:41:15 AM »
« Edited: September 06, 2014, 12:44:13 AM by Tik »

Job. I think I've climbed as much as I can promotionally. If I wanted to make a real career I'd have to change the kind of work that I do for the company and I just don't have the cajones for that.

Still, it's nice to be at a level where my contribution feels more important. I put a lot of time into it and I give a damn, but ultimately it's just a job.

By the way, just because you don't make money doesn't mean yoy aren't contributing to society or are a loser. Don't you know anyone disabled? Anyway you were probably being sarcastic, I hope.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 01:24:31 AM »

Options 1 and 3, with option 4 being reserved for ownership/management.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 01:25:32 AM »

By the way, just because you don't make money doesn't mean yoy aren't contributing to society or are a loser. Don't you know anyone disabled? Anyway you were probably being sarcastic, I hope.
Of course if you have a good excuse to live off of somebody else then you're alright (you should still probably thank the person helping you more often).  Not being sarcastic though.  If you're a healthy 25yo with no good excuses and still living off of another person's work (whether that be mommy and daddy, a rich aunt or Uncle Sam), you're a loser.  A leach.  A drain.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 01:35:33 AM »

Am I the only one with a career!?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 02:44:59 AM »

Of course if you have a good excuse to live off of somebody else then you're alright (you should still probably thank the person helping you more often).  Not being sarcastic though.  If you're a healthy 25yo with no good excuses and still living off of another person's work (whether that be mommy and daddy, a rich aunt or Uncle Sam), you're a loser.  A leach.  A drain.

tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 02:52:36 AM »

I strongly disagree with that sentiment but I don't judge you for it. God knows if I had to support someone with no excuses not to support themselves I'd be mightily frustrated and angry. But I don't think that their lack of employment makes them leaches.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 08:15:03 AM »

No, by my reckoning several of us do.  I actually voted for all four options.  My job is my career, and some of it I like.  I'm also a student of life, and I'm in student mode most of the time.  I study many problems both formally and informally.  I also depend upon my wife's income, which has always been about 75% of mine, but this year, for the first time ever, is exactly the same as mine, and as a matter of mutual agreement we save 100% of my net income each month and use 100% of hers to make a living (rent, food, clothing, vacations, etc.) so technically my son and I are symbionts to her host.  (We should probably thank her for working so hard.)  To some extent, therefore, all four apply.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 08:45:12 AM »

None of the categories listed  really fit for me at this juncture in my life.  I'm sui generis I guess. Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 08:52:50 AM »

yes, I also noticed the conspicuous absence of popular options such as "I am independently wealthy" or "I am the King of Spain" or "My junta and I take what we need by force.  We are not leaches.  We are men."
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 10:30:06 AM »

yes, I also noticed the conspicuous absence of popular options such as "I am independently wealthy" or "I am the King of Spain" or "My junta and I take what we need by force.  We are not leaches.  We are men."

Since dead0man is presumably a republican I guess that would be covered under "I'm a loser, living off of some other person's work...I should probably thank them more".
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 10:41:15 AM »

Not a Pubby.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 11:12:49 AM »

Small r republican (as opposed to royalist/monarchist).
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 11:22:40 AM »

that would be covered under "I'm a loser, living off of some other person's work...I should probably thank them more".

Good point.  And the independently wealthy are living off the fruits of the labors of their ancestors.  And you could argue that the thugs, dictators, drug lords, pimps, and gangsters are career men, of sorts, so I guess his four options really do cover everyone in the universe except Torie.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 11:30:17 AM »

I'm 3, a PhD student, with a mind towards 2, a career in academia.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 12:18:31 PM »

Do you really hate yourself that much?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 12:48:43 PM »

I'm a student with a work-study part time job and will be beginning a career next September. So all three.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 12:51:04 PM »

Student. Hopefully, a career at the end of college year 5.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 01:16:44 PM »

Option 2.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2014, 03:10:03 PM »

I have spent many a night as option 4, but right now I've selected option 2.  Right now, this is technically just a job through the end of October, but I am optimistic it will turn into a career, so I selected a career optimistically and realistically.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2014, 05:02:41 PM »

Does being a woman trapped in a man's body count as a good reason?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2014, 05:05:41 PM »

Of course if you have a good excuse to live off of somebody else then you're alright (you should still probably thank the person helping you more often).  Not being sarcastic though. If you're a healthy 25yo with no good excuses and still living off of another person's work (whether that be mommy and daddy, a rich aunt or Uncle Sam), you're a loser.  A leach.  A drain.

Would you consider grad school or working on a PhD as good excuses?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2014, 05:07:49 PM »

1/3/should probably thank people more anyway
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2014, 06:09:03 PM »

Does being a woman trapped in a man's body count as a good reason?
By itself? no.  Why would it?
Would you consider grad school or working on a PhD as good excuses?
I'm not sure....on one hand, yes it is a good excuse because the person would (presumably) soon be a productive member of society.  On the other hand, lots of people have worked their way through those things, paying for their own way...but that's hard or will make it take longer.  So I'm leaning towards it being a good excuse....though they better be thanking their benefactor(s) like a mofo.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2014, 07:15:50 PM »

Do you really hate yourself that much?

Grin
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length