Joel Osteen and the Happiness Gospel (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:32:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Joel Osteen and the Happiness Gospel (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Joel Osteen and the Happiness Gospel  (Read 7521 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« on: September 09, 2014, 09:46:37 AM »
« edited: September 09, 2014, 09:51:22 AM by DemPGH, President »

On one level, I think he could serve to moderate religion in North America, but I'm not sure he's really interested in doing that. As such, he's just making hay as the next gen TV preacher, although he doesn't have the anger in his eyes and the Armageddon on his tongue like his colleagues.

If I were religious I'd be very disappointed because John Milton or maybe Thomas Browne (Religio Medici) and the like would be more my stripe, and I suppose that's tough to come by. It's all either intellectually dry or else fire-breathing and lectern-pounding.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 04:14:56 PM »

Is he even a "profit"? Anyway, what's the difference between a false profit and a true profit? I mean, what's the process for making that determination (is there something more to it than that they say or don't say what you want to hear)? And is there such a thing as a minor false profit?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 10:44:24 AM »

LOL, look what I did. Tongue I said "profit" when I meant "prophet." Ha, I bet people thought I did that on purpose. The whole thing is so tied to money in my mind that that was an entirely subconscious slip.

One time I prepared a document in which I wrote "manner house" as opposed to "manor house" in one instance. Someone caught it, of course, and I made this joke on the spot: Of course when in a manor house you mind your manners!

Is he even a "profit"? Anyway, what's the difference between a false profit and a true profit? I mean, what's the process for making that determination (is there something more to it than that they say or don't say what you want to hear)? And is there such a thing as a minor false profit?

Another good indicator is someone who says what needs to be said at the time, even if people don't comprehend its truth until much later. It's easy to contradict Osteen with a basic knowledge of the Bible, and it's plain to see that the spirit of his message is one of complacency and convenience and greed. It's something Christians ought to be furious about.

I don't doubt that - if I were a Christian, particularly Laudian or high church, I would see him as the most corrosive of all because of his inside status (he's not some atheist or somebody on the outside), and his congregation is the size of a small army.

As to real vs. false prophet, it is a subjective call probably left to the faithful to make. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies