Pick any U.S. President you like.......... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:51:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pick any U.S. President you like.......... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pick any U.S. President you like..........  (Read 2959 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: September 06, 2014, 09:24:21 PM »

Wilson: Stay really neutral in WW I rather than the sham neutrality that led to us entering the war after he was safely reelected.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 11:26:37 PM »

Wilson: Stay really neutral in WW I rather than the sham neutrality that led to us entering the war after he was safely reelected.

You like Wilson? What.

No, I don't like Wilson, but I like picking him as a President whose Presidency I'd want to change what happened in it.  "You like" in the idiom "pick any <thing> you like"  refers to liking the pick, not the thing.  By the way, v0031, why have you hacked Beet's account?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 01:59:43 AM »

You like Wilson? What.

No, I don't like Wilson, but I like picking him as a President whose Presidency I'd want to change what happened in it.  "You like" in the idiom "pick any <thing> you like"  refers to liking the pick, not the thing.  By the way, v0031, why have you hacked Beet's account?

Nice try. Embrace the dark side, Ernest. Wilson, for all his faults, advanced U.S. interests and liberal ideals in important ways.

Actually, Wilson was probably the most reactionary president we had in the 20th century.  Removing Negros from all but the most menial of Federal jobs, opposing women's suffrage until it became political impossible to do so, getting the US in a number of petty wars and the World War.  Yet the things that people like to laud Wilson for when it come to his liberal credentials were positions supported by all three Presidential candidates in 1912.  Direct election of the Senate, the Federal Reserve, and the income tax would have come to pass no matter who won.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 03:51:28 PM »

John Adams: Don't try to take dictatorial powers for yourself
He didn't.  While one can argue that he should have opposed the Sedition Act, he didn't push for it and used its powers sparingly.  Nor were the contents of the Sedition Act atypical for governments of the time.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies