The Public Sector Strike Curtailment Act (Voting on Amendment)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:05:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Public Sector Strike Curtailment Act (Voting on Amendment)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: The Public Sector Strike Curtailment Act (Voting on Amendment)  (Read 5725 times)
Cassius
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2014, 11:14:02 AM »

By the way, I'm planning (once this amendment has been voted upon) to introduce an amendment of my own to the present bill, to address some of the concerns raised here, so don't table it just yet.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 06:34:48 PM »

I will not support this because I believe in a right to strike.

Also, I am pretty sure the PPT loses his authority to run the Senate after the new Senate starts until a new one is elected.

Hmm. I guess it's muddy because it's up to the VP to do certain things and there is no VP. Plus we have a court case ongoing to decide some of this!

Yeah, we're in a bit of a grey area. Do we just let the Senate grind to a complete halt?

I think that is the law.

WRONG

It is not law that the Senate has to grind to a halt.

I opened dozens of PPT elections as Dean back when the VP could not even be bother to do that much or had resigned.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2014, 06:36:03 PM »

Abstain for now
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2014, 09:03:33 PM »

Firstly, the suggestion that public-spirited emergency/front-line service workers would willingly risk lives is a bit of an insult. Secondly, the only thing I will support is ensuring that there is a proportion of the work-force, say 15-20% who must remain on duty, even during a strike. However, maybe some restrictions during times of war or significant natural disasters.

Really? Two-weeks notice for a strike ballot?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 09:27:12 AM »

With five votes against, no votes in favor, one abstaining, and four not voting, the amendment has been rejected.

Aye(s): None
Nay(s): President Pro Tempore TNF, Senator bore, Senator Polnut, Senator Cynic, Senator Cranberry
Abstaining: Senator North Carolina Yankee
Not voting: Senator JCL, Senator Cassius, Senator Lumine, Senator Deus
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 11:37:27 AM »

Abstain, FTR, since I'm concerned with the constitutionality of the amendment.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 12:18:07 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2014, 12:24:51 PM by Senator Cassius »

An amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 04:20:38 PM »

An amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is getting better.

I'm not sure I see the point of the 20% rule. For instance, if 20% of a school stays on, no classes can go ahead, whereas in a hospital there should be much stricter conditions.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2014, 05:09:41 PM »

What determines an illegal strike? Just what's laid out in this bill? This is getting close to something I can vote for, but I'd like to know the scope of what constitutes illegality.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2014, 05:06:17 AM »

Sorry for interrupting,
But, the idea that 20% of the work-force shouldn't be able to go on strike is uncommonly silly. That would simply KILL the public sector unions. Do you realize that???

Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2014, 07:09:00 AM »

Sorry for interrupting,
But, the idea that 20% of the work-force shouldn't be able to go on strike is uncommonly silly. That would simply KILL the public sector unions. Do you realize that???

I shall think Cassius would not be the saddest person if that happened Tongue

Anyway, this version I like far better than the first version. I would like to see the one week in 1c possibly reduced to three days; and I really don't like the 20% rule.. As Windjammer said, what would be the point of striking in the first place, and secondly, how would these people be determined?

I really like the new clause 3. Such a board is a great idea, as appropiate measures of talking are very succesfull in lowering the number of strikes. In Austria we have an institution called the "social partnership", which is basically like a union of employers in one sector talking with/against a union of employees in one sector. We never have strikes, I cannot remember a single strike in Austria in my lifetime, but one teachers and students protest march on the afternoon last year (which I proudly participated in Tongue)
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2014, 08:04:32 AM »

With regards to the 20% rule, I think in hindsight its a good idea to be more specific as to which services would be covered by this rule. You're quite right Bore about the pointlessness of such a rule in the education sector for example. Polnut, given that you first raised the idea outlined in 1d, do you have any thoughts on that particular passage? Also, Windjammer and Cranberry, such a bill wouldn't destroy the public sector unions (after all, if 80% of the workforce is on strike, then that's still plenty of incentive to get management to come to the table), but I think, as I've said before, we have to balance the interests of public employees with those of the population at large who often depend upon these services, and I don't think that its unfair or bad policy to try and maintain some level of service, even during strikes.

Cynic, Section 1 outlines how a legal and an illegal strike is constituted, thus that which constitutes illegality is that which directly violates the provisions of a, b, c, d and e.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2014, 08:12:38 AM »

Cassius, the goal of a strike is to bother everyone. Because if it doesn't bother anyone, no one would care about the strike, so the strike would fail. That's how it works. So yep, it would indeed seriously weaken the unions if there is a such limit like 20%.

Because indeed, no one would care at all about this strike, so this strike would have no consequence, so it would basically destroy the goal of the union.

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2014, 09:20:32 AM »

If this would pass I would definitely strike 1D if I did not veto it altogether.

A strike is a last resort, and it needs to have teeth. You can't force 20% of the workforce to come to work while everyone else is on strike. That's forcing people to cross a picket line, essentially.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2014, 10:21:47 AM »

I object to the proposed amendment.

Senators, a vote is now open on the amendment proposed by Senator Cassius. Please vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.

NAY
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2014, 11:07:38 AM »

Aye

I wouldn't vote for the bill as is, but it's a big improvement.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2014, 12:13:15 PM »

I still have problems with 1d, and with the week long duration in 1c. I very much like 3 however, and this version of the bill is a great improvement in my opinion.

Aye
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2014, 01:00:09 PM »

Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2014, 01:29:13 PM »

Aye

I'll take my chances that if this bill passes, I'd rather see this version than the first pass. Though I think it still needs some changes.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2014, 05:50:40 PM »

Nay. I'm opposed to any government interference in private labor contracts. I thought the purpose of this was to deal with public-sector strikes; why is the bill now aiming to establish a Federal labor board to regulate private industry?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2014, 06:27:01 PM »

Aye.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2014, 06:40:23 PM »

Abstain pending response to Deus's concerns

Though I do thing it is heading in the right direction. I would ask Windjammer and the others who raised the concern, whether the think there is any risk to lacking any competing force against public sector unions and their demands. I think they should exist, but I think in the absence of an equilibrium of some sorts, the risks I stated at the beginning of the thread are present and it should be remembered that while these people should be well compensated and protected, they also serve the public, not private capital. This has the dual effect not only of making the work more important, but also the interests they work for and at the same time removes the competing interest by and large because of the nature of the employer producing one sided negotiations usually. I think the public is served by a fair equilibrium between the public sector workers and the representatives of the public good.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2014, 07:54:19 PM »

I'm going to look at some further amendments - but I'll vote AYE on this one.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2014, 09:40:39 AM »

Due to Deus's concerns I must Abstain on this amendment
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2014, 11:06:07 AM »

With six votes in the affirmative, the amendment has been adopted.

Aye(s): Senator Lumine, Senator Cynic, Senator Cassius, Senator Cranberry, Senator bore, Senator Polnut
Nay(s): Senator Deus, Senator TNF
Abstaining: Senator JCL, Senator North Carolina Yankee
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies