Opinion of the Anglo-Zanzibar War
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:18:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the Anglo-Zanzibar War
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Please don't vote HW just because "all war is horrible" or that sort of thing.
Freedom War

Horrible War

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: Opinion of the Anglo-Zanzibar War  (Read 1005 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 06, 2014, 09:34:49 PM »

I was just writing a post (which I haven't actually posted yet) mentioning the Fascist invasion of Ethiopia and the their comically flimsy justification (or the closest thing to one they ever bothered giving) for attempting to annex Ethiopia- to suppress slavery. Never mind the fact that slavery's persistence in Ethiopia wasn't for the lack of trying- Tewodros II outlawed slavery in the 1850s (before the US for that matter), albeit to little effect, as were the efforts of his successors.

But to get to the question, my mind wandered to another African war genuinely fought to suppress slavery, the Anglo-Zanzibar War. Better known (or in most cases only known) for its record-holding brevity than its causes, the "war" was initiated by Britain strictly over the matter of ending slavery in the island Sultanate.

The Wikipedia article rather glibly states the war was caused by the accession of a new Sultan instead of one "who was more favourable to British interests" without bothering to mention what those interests were. It does seem difficult to believe Imperial Britain would wage a war for such "humanitarian" purposes, so difficult, in fact, that I tried to find an alternate explanation, to no avail.

So, a war of aggression fought by a colonialist empire against a far smaller African nation... to end slavery. What do you make of it?
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 09:55:13 PM »

I'm generally leery of colonialist wars of aggression, yes.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 10:00:12 PM »

The British Empire was genuinely committed to ending slavery. Given that Zanzibar served as a hub for the slave trade in the region it was a necessary war from a humanitarian perspective.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 10:21:07 PM »

Justified or not, the fact that it lasted for half an hour hardly makes it a war. More like the Zanzibar shootout.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 11:35:49 PM »

Actually, given what happened afterward, I think it likely the case that the British started the war more to prevent Zanzibar from falling into the German sphere of interest than to end slavery, tho the latter certainly was the justification that was used.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 01:02:28 AM »

The British Empire was genuinely committed to ending slavery. Given that Zanzibar served as a hub for the slave trade in the region it was a necessary war from a humanitarian perspective.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 01:36:06 AM »

Actually, given what happened afterward, I think it likely the case that the British started the war more to prevent Zanzibar from falling into the German sphere of interest than to end slavery, tho the latter certainly was the justification that was used.

The British had already agreed to swap Heligoland (plus the rights to colonise the mainland) with the Germans for rights over Zanzibar back in 1890, so that was right out. The UK had been trying to suppress slavery on Zanzibar since the 1820s or so, not to mention elsewhere, so it's not like they just took some sudden interest in ending slavery.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 01:53:40 AM »

The British had already agreed to swap Heligoland (plus the rights to colonise the mainland) with the Germans for rights over Zanzibar back in 1890, so that was right out. The UK had been trying to suppress slavery on Zanzibar since the 1820s or so, not to mention elsewhere, so it's not like they just took some sudden interest in ending slavery.

They also weren't particularly forceful in ending it even once they'd turned Zanzibar into a complete puppet. I never said that they were uninterested, but it clearly was a priority only when it came to propaganda rather than actual results.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 02:52:52 AM »

They also weren't particularly forceful in ending it even once they'd turned Zanzibar into a complete puppet. I never said that they were uninterested, but it clearly was a priority only when it came to propaganda rather than actual results.

Where do you get this from?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 07:27:42 PM »

Unlike say the Anglo-Zulu War, this one was necessary and mildly hilarious.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 09:59:46 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 10:26:35 PM »

Yes. The notion that this was a noble effort to destroy the international slave trade is hilariously false.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 10:43:53 PM »

What is with you and reading skills? I specifically mentioned this passage, and is failure to specify what said British interests were, in my first post.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 01:04:25 AM »

What is with you and reading skills? I specifically mentioned this passage, and is failure to specify what said British interests were, in my first post.
The same British interests as in other African nations in the same region? Just a thought...
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 02:03:39 AM »

Where do you get this from?

Wikipedia:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 11:23:35 AM »

I'm nominating Simfan for the 2014 Dinesh D'Souza Prize for Minority Apologism for Western Imperialism.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 11:36:17 AM »
« Edited: September 08, 2014, 03:44:42 PM by politicus »

Stopping slavery in Zanzibar was not a major British priority, all though they of course wanted the practice to die out. Eliminating Zanzibar's role as the hub of the regions slave trade was, however, a British priority. Getting direct control of the island made that possible. While it also was safer to control a strategically important island like Zanzibar directly, you cant disregard ending the slave trade as a very important motive behind the "war".
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 03:05:08 PM »

I'm nominating Simfan for the 2014 Dinesh D'Souza Prize for Minority Apologism for Western Imperialism.

You really like to make a habit of putting words in people's mouths, don't you? I suggest one war might not have been so bad and all of a sudden I'm an "apologist for Western Imperialism".
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 03:17:34 PM »

I just want to add here for the record that if you can't see the funny side of the British Empire, I don't want to be your friend.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies