IL-Harper Polling (R-Oberweis): Oberweis in striking distance
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:33:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  2014 Senatorial Election Polls
  IL-Harper Polling (R-Oberweis): Oberweis in striking distance
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IL-Harper Polling (R-Oberweis): Oberweis in striking distance  (Read 841 times)
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2014, 01:16:33 AM »

http://www.jimoberweis.com/oberweis_poll_shows_race_at_6_points

Durbin 44
Oberweis 38

Obviously >harper and >internal, but it's pretty telling that two GOP polls show a mid-singles margin (which is probably their best case here) against a perennial candidate. With the anti-incumbent, anti-Democratic mood in Illinois, you'd have to wonder if a competent Republican (maybe Topinka? idk) would actually have a chance against him.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 01:18:58 AM »

^ Or if Durbin retired and left the seat open.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 01:50:57 AM »
« Edited: September 08, 2014, 07:47:04 AM by Roma Caput Mundi »

-6 in an internal...if he's in striking distance then so is 90% of the competitors in these elections.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 07:32:56 AM »

Yeah I think Topinka, Dillard, or even freaking Schock would be in a semi-competitive race at the moment, albeit with Durbin still somewhat favored because Cook County.
KCDem

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 08:37:08 AM »

No way this election would be competitive with Durbin still running. In all these polls, Oberweis has been stuck in the upper 30s to low 40s which is where he will stay. This is just Republicans desperately trying to claim that they are "expanding the map". An open seat may have been more competitive, but we will never know.
backtored
Vatican City State

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 11:09:32 AM »

I think it is more likely that Quinn catches up in the gubernatorial race than it is that Oberweis catches up in the Senate race.

But I'd really rather have Oberweis  than Rauner win.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 11:27:01 AM »

Oberweis won't win, but there will be some here that insist that he will.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 11:28:04 AM »

Oberweis won't win, but there will be some here that insist that he will.

Who?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 11:31:34 AM »

Blue avatars.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 12:17:36 PM »

No one is saying that, don't be ridiculous. I think it may end up around 53-44 at best, and I don't think many Republicans are expecting much better.
Blue avatars.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 01:11:13 PM »

Likely R
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 01:12:32 PM »

No one is saying that, don't be ridiculous. I think it may end up around 53-44 at best, and I don't think many Republicans are expecting much better.
Blue avatars.

No one has said it yet, but I'm better one or two will suggest it. Plenty of Republicans here get overconfident.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 02:41:46 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2014, 02:57:23 PM by cinyc »

Blue avatars.

No one has said it yet, but I'm better one or two will suggest it. Plenty of Republicans here get overconfident.

Suggest what?  That Oberweis will lose by 6?  That's what this poll claims.  That doesn't equate into a Republican win in Illinois, no matter how you spin it.  Perhaps it's a single-digit race, but even that is probably a stretch.  If the election were held today, Durbin would probably win by 10-15.

Quinn is unpopular and probably will lose the governor's race, but coattails are overrated.  He won't bring Durbin down with him.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 03:29:16 PM »

I'm looking at what Oberweis's voting record and statements and it seems that he mostly toes the party line, though he did concede that Obamacare has positive attributes, unlike many.

He also doesn't seem to have a burning hatred for immigrants, having talked about how America is a nation of immigrants and they make us stronger, though he advocates for a secure border and that legal immigrants should be at the front of the line for citizenship, though he does not argue for the wholesale deportation of illegals. He also voted in favor of legalizing medical marijuana.

All in all, Oberweis doesn't seem all that bad.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 11:43:55 AM »

Obviously Durbin's likely to win, but I am starting to get nervous that Quinn will drag him down, and especially for others in closer races like in the house (IL 10, 12, 13) and the downballot races (Treasurer). Also for the state legislature. Losing the supermajority would be disastrous.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 02:36:06 PM »

I'm looking at what Oberweis's voting record and statements and it seems that he mostly toes the party line, though he did concede that Obamacare has positive attributes, unlike many.

He also doesn't seem to have a burning hatred for immigrants, having talked about how America is a nation of immigrants and they make us stronger, though he advocates for a secure border and that legal immigrants should be at the front of the line for citizenship, though he does not argue for the wholesale deportation of illegals. He also voted in favor of legalizing medical marijuana.

Oberweis also said he basically agreed with the Obama foreign policy. His opponent, Doug Traux, ran against him as a hawk.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 02:52:35 PM »

Oberweis also said he basically agreed with the Obama foreign policy. His opponent, Doug Traux, ran against him as a hawk.

When endorsements finally go up, I'm going to endorse Oberweis. Seems like a pretty solid dude.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 04:29:20 PM »

When endorsements finally go up, I'm going to endorse Oberweis. Seems like a pretty solid dude.

Lol over Durbin?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 04:38:39 PM »

Lol over Durbin?

Yup.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies