S. Truett Cathy Has Died
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:13:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  S. Truett Cathy Has Died
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S. Truett Cathy Has Died  (Read 826 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2014, 03:23:28 AM »

I'll save my commentary for later.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/chick-fil-founder-truett-cathy-died-25340030
JRP1994

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 05:42:52 AM »

Sad
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 10:32:11 AM »

Eat mor librulz
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 02:44:12 PM »

Chick Fil-A is not meaningfully worse than any other large corporation (which is to say they're all awful).
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 02:51:09 PM »

RIP
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 03:44:49 PM »

Not a Chick Fil-A fan, but I have seen firsthand the good that Chick Fil-A does for people. Cathy was quite a philanthropist
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 05:32:21 PM »

Giving workers a day off is pretty freedom even if it is for the most dastardly of reasons, and so is rising from poverty under the strength of (at the time) a small business.  HP for the anti-gay bigotry and contributing to the disgusting hate groups American Family Assoc. and Family Research Council.  

RIP, but still proudly boycott.  
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 05:45:34 PM »

I'll make sure to eat at Chick-fil-A this week in his honor.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 03:02:17 PM »

Had some waffle fries last night in his honor as they do them darn well. I'd normally say damn well, but...
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 03:41:14 PM »

Giving workers a day off is pretty freedom even if it is for the most dastardly of reasons, and so is rising from poverty under the strength of (at the time) a small business.  HP for the anti-gay bigotry and contributing to the disgusting hate groups American Family Assoc. and Family Research Council.  

How many American employees work 7 days/week? In any case, now that they old man is dead, I suspect closed on Sundays will soon be a thing of the past.
The best thing about Chick FilA is their "IceDream" Cone. Their soft serve is slightly gritty which is a much better texture than the usual ubercreamy stuff you get everywhere else. And, of course, they do a good job of hiring mostly super nice and efficient white kids, something that's pretty revolutionary in fast food.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 04:11:02 PM »

How many American employees work 7 days/week? In any case, now that they old man is dead, I suspect closed on Sundays will soon be a thing of the past.

Doubtful.  How many people who currently eat there would eat there more often if it were open on Sunday? Furthermore, a good chunk of their business comes from people who go there specifically because of the perception it is a good Christian business.  Employees choose to work there in part because they know for certain they'll have a particular day off.  Plus they'd have added expenses if they were open 7 days/week.  I doubt they'd gain more profit by abandoning their distinctive business model, and they'd probably lose.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 05:09:18 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2014, 05:11:38 PM by memphis »

Doubtful.  How many people who currently eat there would eat there more often if it were open on Sunday? Furthermore, a good chunk of their business comes from people who go there specifically because of the perception it is a good Christian business.  Employees choose to work there in part because they know for certain they'll have a particular day off.  Plus they'd have added expenses if they were open 7 days/week.  I doubt they'd gain more profit by abandoning their distinctive business model, and they'd probably lose.
The after church market is enormous in the food business. They would make a killing. The marginal cost of being open one extra day is tiny compared to the business they would do. That's why nobody in food or retail is closed on Sundays anymore. I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but you really don't know what you're talking about on that front. I have a lot of food experience.
Yes, they might piss off a few people since they made such a stink about being closed on Sunday in the first place, but it's fast food and people have short attention spans. Frankly, most people eat fast food because they have short attention spans. FoxNews would raise a stink about it for two days, bemoaning the state of the world today, and then they'd be off to the next outrage du jour.
As for the employees, just about everybody in food accommodates the churchy people with Sundays off if they request it, just as they will fulfill just about any reasonable schedule request with a week or two's notice. It's a very flexible schedule industry. People are almost completely interchangeable and there's no shortage of replacement drones available.  
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 05:17:12 PM »

The best thing about Chick FilA is their "IceDream" Cone. Their soft serve is slightly gritty which is a much better texture than the usual ubercreamy stuff you get everywhere else. And, of course, they do a good job of hiring mostly super nice and efficient white kids, something that's pretty revolutionary in fast food.

I would bet that most of the fast-food chains bring the poor souls they hire into the depressing little grease shacks daily.  

And the Chick-Fil-A white kids are CREEPY dude.  They are always so upbeat and they insist on following the new stupid fad of the restaurant calling you a "guest".  (There was a Chick-Fil-A near the restaurant I valeted cars at in college... this was well before I knew they were bigots) You are standing behind a register smelling like grease for hours and hours for a take home of barely $6/hr.  Stop with the smile and tell me you hate this!  Seriously, what is with the world anymore?

I'll take LaShawnda's sarcastic "thank you" over little Tanner's robotic jubilance.  
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 05:46:26 PM »

I would bet that most of the fast-food chains bring the poor souls they hire into the depressing little grease shacks daily.  

And the Chick-Fil-A white kids are CREEPY dude.  They are always so upbeat and they insist on following the new stupid fad of the restaurant calling you a "guest".  (There was a Chick-Fil-A near the restaurant I valeted cars at in college... this was well before I knew they were bigots) You are standing behind a register smelling like grease for hours and hours for a take home of barely $6/hr.  Stop with the smile and tell me you hate this!  Seriously, what is with the world anymore?

I'll take LaShawnda's sarcastic "thank you" over little Tanner's robotic jubilance.  

The Chick-Fil-A kids don't seem creepy to me (and at least where I live, they come from pretty diverse backgrounds); even if they do hate their jobs, they still give pretty good service, especially for a fast-food restaurant. It's gratifying to have a Chick-Fil-A employee come over to your table while you're eating waffle fries and ask if you want a refill on your lemonade instead of having to get up and ask for a refill yourself like you do at McDonald's or Burger King.

I'll take saccharine service over rude, sarcastic treatment any day.

Anyhow, RIP S. Truett Cathy Sad
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 06:29:12 PM »

RIP
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 06:38:08 PM »

The Chick-Fil-A kids don't seem creepy to me (and at least where I live, they come from pretty diverse backgrounds); even if they do hate their jobs, they still give pretty good service, especially for a fast-food restaurant. It's gratifying to have a Chick-Fil-A employee come over to your table while you're eating waffle fries and ask if you want a refill on your lemonade instead of having to get up and ask for a refill yourself like you do at McDonald's or Burger King.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for the authenticity and self-awareness. 
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 09:20:57 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2014, 09:25:22 PM by Never »

What can I say, I'm a sucker for the authenticity and self-awareness.  

If someone is genuinely mean and detests their job, I'd prefer that they keep their feelings under wraps while I'm paying them for some fast food. I wouldn't just vent any negative emotions I have to a random person, and I would expect cashiers at restaurants to have a similar form of self-control.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 07:56:10 AM »

The after church market is enormous in the food business. They would make a killing. The marginal cost of being open one extra day is tiny compared to the business they would do. That's why nobody in food or retail is closed on Sundays anymore. I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but you really don't know what you're talking about on that front. I have a lot of food experience.
Maybe it's because I'm in a different demographic than you, but the people I know who go to a restaurant after church are not going to fast food joints for their Sunday meal.  Still, I think it would mainly cannibalize existing sales rather than add much in the way of new sales.  It might well gain them a short term boost, but in losing their identity they'd give up one of the major ways they differentiate themselves from the competition.  While I find their waffle fries tasty, I don't go there very often these days because in the Chicken segment, I like Zaxby's better overall in both taste and value.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 09:43:54 AM »

Chick-fil-A would lose business if they opened on Sunday because Christians would see them as selling out.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 11:46:44 PM »

RIP. He was a great man, even if I disagree with his stance on gay marriage. He was a great man despite that one belief, and he will be missed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies