The GM Assistance/Keeping Things Moving Act (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:04:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The GM Assistance/Keeping Things Moving Act (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The GM Assistance/Keeping Things Moving Act (Debating)  (Read 2102 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« on: September 08, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »

The whole idea of the bill is rather a minor tweak that I've been thinking of introducing for awhile, but now with the current situation we're facing, seems necessary.

History has proven that GMs often get overwhelmed with their own workload and have very few options if they need to delegate authority. This would allow the creation of an assistant GM who can both assist the GM or, in the case of a sudden resignation or LOA, can take over the office.

Admittedly, this is a bit of a band aid solution to a larger problem, but one hopes something can be done.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 10:12:05 PM »

The problem is, so few people can put the kind of time in to do it all by themselves. At this point, we might consider greater flex or we should abolish the position entirely and create a Treasury secretary to go along with an Internal and External Affairs Sec. and just rely on them to do news/crunch numbers, etc.

We need some flexibility now and especially in the future. A future GM should be able to have the comfort of knowing they can have some help rather than doing it all alone. As I can see it, those are the only two solutions. Either outsource the job to the cabinet positions or add some help. One person is simply not going to be able to do the job alone and as of now our constitution doesn't technically allow a multi-person GM. This is the best solution I can think of at the moment and again, I've been thinking this over since before Nappy even got the job as the President said. I had meetings with him over something just like this right at the beginning of his term.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 12:10:12 PM »

When I really came into the game, President Porce and the GM EarlAW were locked in a major disagreement. Earl and a couple of others filled the position as the Atlasian News Network, including me as I ran for the Senate. However, Earl was really the only one with any power and if memory serves (it's been a long time, so it may be fuzzy), the President thought Earl was filling up the network with people who only wanted to harm his administration, therein lied the disagreement as I recall.

Ever since that power struggle, the GM has only ever been filled by a single person that I remember and it's been detrimental to the game in many ways.

I don't think electing a GM is the way to go right now, anyway, because we could still end up with good campaigners who will get overwhelmed and resign. The position needs some assistance rather than an election, really.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 05:07:07 PM »

If we eliminated the position, we'd need someone to crunch numbers. The SoIA? Accountant General?

My opinion is that crunching numbers is a part of making policy, and that convincing people that those numbers are reasonable is a part of politics. Estimates of costs and benefits should emerge from arguments and evidence and decided on based on consensus - not the fiat of some unquestioned authority. It's a task that all of us - Senators, executive officials, the public, etc. - should be involved in.

What we'd lose by eliminating the GM is centralized story creation. But why shouldn't that be democratized? Maybe we've limited ourselves by restricting that privilege to the GM. People will reject implausible stories either way.

Here's the thing. I'm not good with numbers. I've applied to be GM four times in the past and I've never got the job because I'm not good with figures. I'm also not much interested in them. A lot of others aren't interested in that either and some only care about that and don't care for news stories. The whole point is to balance things out. Give the position and the President more flexibility in terms of who and how they can make appointments and offer the position help.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 11:00:46 PM »

I think that's what any reform to the position needs to be premised on. The GM serves two functions, and they don't need to be bundled together.

I'm skeptical about the likelihood of funding two interested people, but I think your idea is worth trying if there's not enough support for a more drastic change.

Well, to be honest, I think what puts most off is that the workload is so heavy. If you're hiring an assistant, then it gets easier. I think we should try this approach first and see if it works. If it doesn't, then we go the more radical route.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 08:56:51 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thought I'd clean it up some to avoid the confusion.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 02:57:25 PM »

What will the term for the GM helpers be? I think we should stick to either deputy or assistant, but I don't mind which.

I think it should be similar to the GM.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 02:15:58 PM »

Proposing an amendment then:

Friendly.

You need to do something about the SOIA and SOEA if you're going to have Deputy GMs. Now, you'll have 4+ people in charge of the game engine and that is not going to be a great fit for Atlasia unless their roles are more defined.

This bill is a tactic without a strategy.

Well, if you've got any particular ideas, I'm open to hear what you've got.

Since the SOIA and SOEA rarely operate in terms of the news, I don't see why there's really any change for them necessary. This is especially considering that the Deputy GM's job is simply to take the roles that the GM can't handle. It's ideally a slot just for one person, but if a news agency of more than one person becomes GM (which has happened in the past), then that would be the only reason I'd envisage more than one Deputy GM and even then, a news network would not necessarily come into conflict with the SOIA and SOEA.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 02:49:57 AM »

I'm ready to move this to final vote if we're finished?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 07:52:08 PM »

I think we're almost finished here as well, but I do have a small concern. Should we have two Deputy GM's and the GM were to resign, who gets to be the nominal GM? Section one says "Deputies" and section two says "Deputy", so we should probably clear that detail.

The position really should only be for one deputy, but the ambiguous wording comes from the fact that we could potentially have a news agency named GM and news agencies in the past have sometimes been multiple people. In that case, I would assume it would be for the agency to work out. In all other instances, the GM really should only appoint one assistant.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 02:13:30 PM »

I think we're almost finished here as well, but I do have a small concern. Should we have two Deputy GM's and the GM were to resign, who gets to be the nominal GM? Section one says "Deputies" and section two says "Deputy", so we should probably clear that detail.

The position really should only be for one deputy, but the ambiguous wording comes from the fact that we could potentially have a news agency named GM and news agencies in the past have sometimes been multiple people. In that case, I would assume it would be for the agency to work out. In all other instances, the GM really should only appoint one assistant.

Well, that sounds reasonable, and those who help a news agency may not need a formal title as a Deputy GM would. Should we amend Deputy GM's to just a single Deputy or go with the final vote?

I think so.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 02:18:17 PM »

Cleaning up the ambiguity.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 02:12:25 PM »

I know this went on years ago, Bore, but it's designed to prevent some kind of power struggle in the government if a news network, like say, the Atlasian News Network, is appointed GM and the head of that agency resigned. In doing so, we'd leave it up to the news agency rather than taking the decision out of their hands as to who takes over as GM in the case of multiple deputies.

It's a very unlikely occurrence since it almost never happens, but in the case that it does happen, we should defer the decision to them to prevent some kind of massive backlash towards the government. Let them keep it in house.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 02:40:11 PM »

I think you mean "a news agency appointed as GM" and not "GM appointed through a news agency"?

Ah ok, you're right. Let me change it.

There, I think that might help things. Forgive me, I was probably tired when I tacked on the amendment.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 12:55:10 PM »

No one's said anything. I want to move this to final vote.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 01:54:35 AM »

Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 02:29:42 PM »

I urge the Senate to hold off on this bill until a new GM has been confirmed.
I guess I will motion for a delay of this final vote then, until we have a GM.

Btw, SirNick is back, so you could appoint him, DemPGH?

Such a delay will not be considered friendly by me.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 09:12:37 PM »

Since it's 6-0 if we're counting Senator Deus' vote and this should be passed, correct, Mr. PPT?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies